Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone handled one of the new Puma Scout Model 92? I haven't, but it looks good.

Here is the description:
"The Puma Scout is an all-new package gun that builds from the traditional M-92 platform by adding a long eye relief, 2.5x32 NikkoStirling riflescope, complete with rings and bases – and – a special cheek piece for the comb of the stock to enable quick target acquisition through the scope. The Puma Scout is available in an all-new .17 HMR caliber, as well as the long-standing .38 Spl./.357 Mag., .44 Mag., .45 Colt and .454 Casull calibers from the Puma lineup. All calibers will be available in blued finish, only, and in 20” barrel length (see specifications, below). The .454 model will be fitted with a shotgun-style recoil pad, while all other calibers will wear the traditional crescent steel butt plates."

Here is the picture:

I was thinking of getting it in .44 Mag. What do you think?

Chapie+

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Has anyone handled one of the new Puma Scout Model 92? I haven't, but it looks good.

Here is the description:
"The Puma Scout is an all-new package gun that builds from the traditional M-92 platform by adding a long eye relief, 2.5x32 NikkoStirling riflescope, complete with rings and bases – and – a special cheek piece for the comb of the stock to enable quick target acquisition through the scope. The Puma Scout is available in an all-new .17 HMR caliber, as well as the long-standing .38 Spl./.357 Mag., .44 Mag., .45 Colt and .454 Casull calibers from the Puma lineup. All calibers will be available in blued finish, only, and in 20” barrel length (see specifications, below). The .454 model will be fitted with a shotgun-style recoil pad, while all other calibers will wear the traditional crescent steel butt plates."

Here is the picture:

I was thinking of getting it in .44 Mag. What do you think?

Chapie+

I like it. I was lusting after one of the .38/.357 models for a while, but my attention got shifted to more ban-likely guns.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it. I was lusting after one of the .38/.357 models for a while, but my attention got shifted to more ban-likely guns.
I know what you mean. Who knows, the lever guns will likely eventually end up on a ban list of some sort, "What in the world do you need a 10 shot .44 magnum for?"

Chapie+

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I looked at that model in 357 a few years ago. It was ok...but I found a nice used Marlin 1894 in 357 and bought it instead. Since I had already owned a 44 mag Marlin 1894 and used it for many years and loved it...I just could not see spending similar money for a Brazilian made 92 copy.

I can honestly say as a serious lever action fan and a heavy user of both 357 and 44 mag Marlin 1894s...I'd vote for looking at the Marlins instead....unless the Puma is TONS cheaper.

My 1894 Marlin in 44 mag is actually more accurate than its 357 brother. From the 50yd bench, I can put 5 Foicchi 240gr soft point 44 mag loads into one ragged hole, the size of a quarter. Seriously! Yeah...I too was shocked at how accurate the 44 mag Marlin was. My 30-30 Wincehsters won't do that and neither will my 30-30 336 Marlin.

I have taken a couple of whitetail does, several feral pigs and one black Hawaiian sheep with my 44 mag Marlin. Yes...its quite a stopper! Everything was shot with stock open sights and from under 100yds.

Its also fun to plink with, using 44 Special cowboy loads. It is not loud and has almost no recoil. My 9 year old daughter shoots it with 200gr cowboy loads...and loves it. I have loaded it with 200gr Gold Dot Blazer HP 44 Spls and blasted raccoons and skunks around the ranch....great close range varmint getter...you won't have to shoot them twice!

I'd sell off alot of rifles...including other leverguns...long before I'd ditch the 44 mag Marlin. Its that good.

If you cannot tell...I am a huge, huge fan of Marlin's pistol caliber leverguns....check them out before you buy the Puma. I really think they're better rifles.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
566 Posts
one thing thats nice about the pumas is the 92 action is stronger than the marlin or winchester 94 actions:cool: and my puma doesn't have that funky push button safety.
I just wish I had bought one of the 454's when they were cheap.;-)
pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts