Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be honest, I have never had any formal training with properly shooting handguns. I really need to some day. I have just looked at videos and tried to learn adapt.

So my question is this, which is the proper way I should be grabbing my handgun?

1. This is how I grab the guns I own naturally. This feels most comfortable.

2. But should I be trying to adjust my grip more like this? It is less comfortable, but seems it might control recoil easier.

If that is the case, maybe I need to reconsider some of my firearm choices.

I just want to improve. Depending on which of these grips I use, one makes it easier to hit the mag release, the other makes it easier to reach the trigger.

I wear a medium size glove.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
It looks fine to me. Get as high as you can, get the left hand wrapped around, and squeeze really hard.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Thumbs forward grip. I taught my wife how and she put together a string on the steel which made me so proud I couldn't stop grinning and she had a blast doing it.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
There is no " proper" way. Our hands are different.

Make sure of a couple things though:
1. Grip high
2. Trigger finger position at the wall clear through the break should be centered on index finger pad.
3. Dont iron man choke with strong hand.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Visualize the gun suspended in front of you in mid-air, then grip it w your shooting hand. That's your best bet for a natural, comfortable grip, which is what you want.
I have fairly large hands but still use the social-finger of my shooting hand to release the mag. It's the reason I always insist on an ambidextrious (or reversible) mag release on carry guns.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Second way theoretically is better but the trigger matters more. So show us that in relation to it

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

·
Administrator
16,937 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I have some testing to do at the range.
Honestly bud, you should really bite the bullet and spring for some instruction. Any basic pistol course. I'm not talking about idiots that will give you a certificate. Find a reputable trainer in your area and go get some. There is a really good course here. It was just the NRA basic pistol course, but it went well beyond that. 3 days with a full range day. Some stuff was boring, but the practical stuff... I did not know I could shoot such good groups. It wasn't the end all be all... but it was well worth the money.

Then of course so much to build off of just that. Tons of drills out there to practice. The best grip is the one you shoot the best. But you will shoot the best if you follow a couple simple rules that have already been said. All I am saying is one on one instruction time is awesome. You can only get so far on the web. Well, at least that's how it worked for me. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly bud, you should really bite the bullet and spring for some instruction. Any basic pistol course. I'm not talking about idiots that will give you a certificate. Find a reputable trainer in your area and go get some. There is a really good course here. It was just the NRA basic pistol course, but it went well beyond that. 3 days with a full range day. Some stuff was boring, but the practical stuff... I did not know I could shoot such good groups. It wasn't the end all be all... but it was well worth the money.

Then of course so much to build off of just that. Tons of drills out there to practice. The best grip is the one you shoot the best. But you will shoot the best if you follow a couple simple rules that have already been said. All I am saying is one on one instruction time is awesome. You can only get so far on the web. Well, at least that's how it worked for me. Just a suggestion.
Oh without a DOUBT. I am not denying training. I want training. It is just really hard in the small town I live in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts