Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...building an AR pistol as a vehicle...well, not a long gun, but...longer gun.

Have a 10.5” PSA upper in the system. Have numerous unbuilt lowers to put it on.

The reason I want to go pistol, and not a full rifle, is that under MN law, I can have it loaded, in the passenger area, and it will fall under the purview of my carry permit. Long guns will not.

So, I’m looking at stabilizing braces. Collapsing, in particular.

The three I’m looking at in particular right now are: SBA3; SBPDW; and the Maxim.

I like the Maxim, it’ll be the most compact, and I like that it has a QD socket. Pricy, though...it’ll probably cost more than I have in the entire rest of the gun (minus optics).

Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
So look at this one..

Tailhook MOD 2, BLACK [TH2-BLK] - $159.95 : Gear Head Works

It looks to be 4 ish inches fully collapsed... Well, probably buffer tube collapsed. For those without buffer tube they have a folder option.

So my SB brace on the MPX... I like it cause it's most compact and easy. If you had to actually use if for a brace, it would take a bit to get my arm in.

On my new one, I ordered it with tailhook. I like that it's ridgid... So when your arm isn't in it... Well it's not soft. And then if you wanted to use the brace, it's a shelf... Which seemed way more practical. So obviously I don't have it yet, so I can't speak to usability. In another thread, JohnA posted picks and I'm positive it was a tailhook, I asked for input but must not have seen it. Maybe he'll be along...

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Stupid triple post...

OOOOHHHH!!! I KNOW... you could buy my MPX and you would be all done... Unless you are really doing a 223...

·
Registered
656 Posts
No experience with braces yet, but I'm eying up the SBA3. Maxim does look interesting, but I think the rods can interfere with some controls (not GI stuff, but oversized aftermarket stuff) when trying to fully collapse it which limits how far it can compress.

I need to nail down barrel length. Was originally thinking 8 or 9", but as a fellow Minnesotan, I'm thinking I may hunt whitetail with it some year which the 10.5" starts to make more sense. That and if suppressed, I belive the longer bbl would be easier on the can as far as any muzzle blast is concerned.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So look at this one..

Tailhook MOD 2, BLACK [TH2-BLK] - $159.95 : Gear Head Works

It looks to be 4 ish inches fully collapsed... Well, probably buffer tube collapsed. For those without buffer tube they have a folder option.

So my SB brace on the MPX... I like it cause it's most compact and easy. If you had to actually use if for a brace, it would take a bit to get my arm in.

On my new one, I ordered it with tailhook. I like that it's ridgid... So when your arm isn't in it... Well it's not soft. And then if you wanted to use the brace, it's a shelf... Which seemed way more practical. So obviously I don't have it yet, so I can't speak to usability. In another thread, JohnA posted picks and I'm positive it was a tailhook, I asked for input but must not have seen it. Maybe he'll be along...
Hmm. Hadn’t considered the Tailhook. Need to take a closer look...

And I’m going 5.56...but I won’t say I haven’t thought about your MPX. Still trying to move stuff...keep getting better trade offers than cash offers (just traded my G19X for a PSA AR10 in .308, with some nice upgrades...couldn’t turn that one down).

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No experience with braces yet, but I'm eying up the SBA3. Maxim does look interesting, but I think the rods can interfere with some controls (not GI stuff, but oversized aftermarket stuff) when trying to fully collapse it which limits how far it can compress.

I need to nail down barrel length. Was originally thinking 8 or 9", but as a fellow Minnesotan, I'm thinking I may hunt whitetail with it some year which the 10.5" starts to make more sense. That and if suppressed, I belive the longer bbl would be easier on the can as far as any muzzle blast is concerned.
I’m not big on a lot of aftermarket controls, so I’m not too worried about the rods not fitting...but that’s a good point.

Most guys I know who are running suppressed for deer in this area have gone to .300BO.

And for some reason, I don’t think there’s a lot of cans that will work with a 556 less than 10”...I’m trying to decide if I’m going to screw a Vortex or my Flaming Pig on this critter once I get it.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Hmm. Hadn’t considered the Tailhook. Need to take a closer look...

And I’m going 5.56...but I won’t say I haven’t thought about your MPX. Still trying to move stuff...keep getting better trade offers than cash offers (just traded my G19X for a PSA AR10 in .308, with some nice upgrades...couldn’t turn that one down).
Ya, 5.56 is legit truck gun. The tail hook is also just a hook you clamp onto buffer tube... If seen several different applications/variations. For my MP, there is an brace adapter they make so you can run braces. Then the tailhook has a brace adapter to run the collapsible rail style... Of course any AR style, Vectors, folders... Or just clamp on for tubes.

But the point is, the rigid appeals to me and the actual brace seems to be a better design/use. We'll see. No telling when I get it.

So never thought about it... Is any AR with short barrel considered a pistol with a stock and just the buffer tube? The buffer is just the buffer...

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, 5.56 is legit truck gun. The tail hook is also just a hook you clamp onto buffer tube... If seen several different applications/variations. For my MP, there is an brace adapter they make so you can run braces. Then the tailhook has a brace adapter to run the collapsible rail style... Of course any AR style, Vectors, folders... Or just clamp on for tubes.

But the point is, the rigid appeals to me and the actual brace seems to be a better design/use. We'll see. No telling when I get it.

So never thought about it... Is any AR with short barrel considered a pistol with a stock and just the buffer tube? The buffer is just the buffer...
Yep. Anything with an overall barrel length under 16” can’t have a stock on it unless it is a registered SBR.

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
SBA3 my guy. You don't gain THAT much in size vs cost and concealtment over the PDW styles. And it's a lot cheaper. So much so that you can buy a LAW hinge and fold it if you want. (I THINK these should still fold with the SBA3).

I can definitely tell you Shockwave blades suck.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Yep. Anything with an overall barrel length under 16” can’t have a stock on it unless it is a registered SBR.
Ya, I'm sure you are scrounging together AR stuff you have... That's another place Sig shines... The MCX, with no buffer tube, really excells at PDW. Sure MCX is 9mm...but the lack of buffer tube and short stroke piston is why it really appealed to me.... But all that is just buying more... Not what you are doing.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SBA3 my guy. You don't gain THAT much in size vs cost and concealtment over the PDW styles. And it's a lot cheaper. So much so that you can buy a LAW hinge and fold it if you want. (I THINK these should still fold with the SBA3).

Yeah, the Shockwave was never up for consideration.

I like my SB folder on the MP5 clone; it’s solid, and good kit.

I looked at the LAW folders, but it makes it a pretty fat package on an AR...and I do like the HK style collapsing stocks.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
The tailhook mod2 would be at the top of my personal list.

I have a gen1 on my AR9 and I like it a lot better than those shockwave blades.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
The tailhook mod2 would be at the top of my personal list.

I have a gen1 on my AR9 and I like it a lot better than those shockwave blades.
So does it actually work well as a brace? Does it just flip down, or do things lock?

·
Registered
423 Posts
You cannot use a law folder and a SB3 brace. It creates an overall brace length that is too long, and ATF considers it a stock and no longer a brace. And I even heard someone was prosecuted for it this year.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I’ve been using a shockwave on my 10.5 psa 556. It works alright. Looking to build a 10.5 inch single shot 300 BO for the hell of it for IL firearms seasons. Been looking hard at the sb3 and maxim. Won’t be able to get it done for this year, so I’m interested in what you choose. Built my pistol for much the same reason you are, can only have a ccw in my car at work.

I was always under the assumption the OAL was measured without the brace or muzzle device on the gun. Can anyone clarify this and the difference between a firearm and a pistol and how it pertains to ccw?!? Sorry if i’m hijacking cuda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Arkansas has the same law, I can carry my AR pistol in my truck loaded and be covered under my CCW permit. As long as the barrel is under 12 inches its considered a pistol.
I have one of the original SB15 braces on my black rain 5.56 pistol, it works great. You can get them from Ebay for $75. new. I think I still have some new in box braces in the stock room.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I know this is going to sound as retarded as I feel when I'm typing it.

1. ATF measures with the stock (or brace) extended.
2. As for the muzzle device, you are correct that OAL is measured without the flashider or brake or whatever.

But if you absolutely have to have a certain length, atf allows you to pin/weld or braze it on since it is a permanent means of keeping it in place.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I’m not big on a lot of aftermarket controls, so I’m not too worried about the rods not fitting...but that’s a good point.

Most guys I know who are running suppressed for deer in this area have gone to .300BO.

And for some reason, I don’t think there’s a lot of cans that will work with a 556 less than 10”...I’m trying to decide if I’m going to screw a Vortex or my Flaming Pig on this critter once I get it.
sidebar a truck guns for fighting car wrecks make your hands move like crap.

Get a 45 degree ambi safety. It helps a lot in awkward positions the cars put you in. There are a LOT of good options. If you like a gi safety the seekins is the closes to it and is ambi and can be set to 45. Personally the AXTS is my favorite I like the smaller on the offhand side. Many I know love the battle arms variant . But none are cheap, the AXTS is the cheapest and imo the least likely to tear up your hand in a fall

Reactions: DevJames

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts

they do with 556

1 - 20 of 40 Posts