Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a big fan of bolt action rifles. I am curious as to what some of you guys and gals own. I will start, Savage 10FP with 20" bull barrel in 308. Pine Ridge 3x9x40, Limb Saver, Butler Creek lens covers and Harris bipod. Love this rifle.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Remington 700 chambered in .308 with a 24" barrel, HS Precision kevlar stock with aluminum bedding block, Leatherwood scope base, burris x-treme rings, Nikon 4.5-14x50 mildot scope, buttler creek caps, Harris bipod with Pheonix Tactical pod claws, trigger set to 1.5 lbs. It has a stock pack on it now, I need new pictures.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Love those rifles.

Hey Silver what u got on that stock looks like a Monte Carlo stock but also it looks like it's added on. Looks good. I'm also looking for something with a 20" barrel. Now i'm torn between a Savage 10fp and a Remington 700 sps Tactical in 308. I hear that the Remington 700 sps Tactical as a cheap stock. What made u decide on the Savage 10fp.

What make is the sling on the rifle.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Here is one of my babies:

Started life as a Remington 700 Sendero SF in .300WM, but quickly went to the shop for tuning. It was originally marine-tex bedded into a PSS long action stock, but I picked up with AI Stage II folding chassis and replaced the PSS stock a few years ago. I have adjusted the trigger to a 2.5lb pull. The base is a Badger Ordnance 20MOA forward cant base with Badger High rings holding a Leupold 4.5-14x50 mil-dot scope with a Premier Reticles FFP conversion. The first pic show it with a 10-round mag. The second pic shows the versatility of this rifle. With a 26" barrel and the chassis folded, it fits in a 36" Starlight case, along with 2 5-round and 2 10-round mags, bipod, TIS sling and the pods for the bipod. Weight for the entire rifle, with a loaded 5-round mag, is right at 12.5lbs, so it isn't exactly a lug it over the hills and through the woods rifle, but it has twice been out west and gets used locally for long range target and shots on deer when hunting power-line right-of-ways.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love those rifles.

Hey Silver what u got on that stock looks like a Monte Carlo stock but also it looks like it's added on. Looks good. I'm also looking for something with a 20" barrel. Now i'm torn between a Savage 10fp and a Remington 700 sps Tactical in 308. I hear that the Remington 700 sps Tactical as a cheap stock. What made u decide on the Savage 10fp.

What make is the sling on the rifle.
To be honest, I went with Savage because I know they are well known for accuracy and because it was what I could find. I tried to get the Rem 700 SPS Tactical for 5 months with no luck. I kept getting some wierd story that there are only so many made a year and that you need to be on a waiting list or be lucky enough to find a dealer with one (story courtesy of Cabelas). I finally gave up on it. The stock on the 10FP and the Rem are pretty much the same, basic plastic with light recoil pad. To notice a difference in stock quality you would have to get the REM 700 Police version. The cheek piece is a cheap neoprene sleeve (counting my pennies to get nicer stock). The sling is a butler creek neoprene, it takes a lot of weight out of carrying it. Overall I could not be happier with my choice and who knows maybe one lucky day I will find that 700 SPS and then I will have both.:grin:

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice setup ORD.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Thanks for the comments, guys. I think everyone should have one...or two...well...at least a few anyway!! ;) She is a shooter without a doubt. I usually run reloads in it, but it eats up FGMM and BH match stuff like crazy. A buddy just gave me a box of 180gr Winchester/Combined technology ballistic silver tips to try out...I can't wait to see how the slightly light bullets perform (180gr v. my usual 190gr loads).

Hey byrom1212...how do you like the JP Brake on your Remington 700 .308? I had one on a AR-10 for a while and took it off because the darn thing was so loud!! Great recoil reduction (I could easily spot hits on my target through the scope at 100-200), but not worth the noise and blast. It got replaced with an Ops, Inc. 4-port brake instead. Wondering if it was any less brutal on a bolt gun instead of a semi.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
ive heard (on guntalk radio) that savage is coming out with a new rifle that has their own precision stock design that beats a lot of the aftermarket ones like HS precision. Anyone heard about it or know the model. I maybe be very interested in something like that

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey byrom1212...how do you like the JP Brake on your Remington 700 .308? I had one on a AR-10 for a while and took it off because the darn thing was so loud!! Great recoil reduction (I could easily spot hits on my target through the scope at 100-200), but not worth the noise and blast. It got replaced with an Ops, Inc. 4-port brake instead. Wondering if it was any less brutal on a bolt gun instead of a semi.

Its ok as long as you have hearing protection. shot it once with out and couldnt hear out of my left ear for hours. and its great for clearing a table. I like it the best I have found. just not range friendly.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

Here is my Savage 10FCP in .308 with 24" barrel and HS Precision stock and DBM. It's been skim-bedded, recrowned, threaded, has a SSS recoil lug and bolt handle, PWS FSC30 comp, Ken Farrel 1-piece base, TPS rings and a Pride Fowler RR800-2.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry guys I hope I did'nt put rust on your rifle I just drooled all over your rifles. ah! now i'm confused dont know what to buy now they all look great. That kind of confusion is good just have to buy one of each.

Again great looking Bolts.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive heard (on guntalk radio) that savage is coming out with a new rifle that has their own precision stock design that beats a lot of the aftermarket ones like HS precision. Anyone heard about it or know the model. I maybe be very interested in something like that
I have not heard anything, but I am going to keep my ears peeled. I am very interested.:p

·
Registered
211 Posts
My Remington 700 SPS Varmint .223 Bull Barrell

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Nothing fancy.

M1903 Springfield MK1 30-06
AMEN TO THAT!! I was wondering if anyone would post a bolt action classic like an '03 or '03-A3. That is the one rifle that I need to finish up my collection of infantry rifles. Had a deal on a cherry Remington 1903A3 in like new/arsenal refurbed condition and the seller back out at the last minute saying he needed more money after orginally agreeing to a price!! I haven't seen many bolt actions on the upcoming "hit list" so I have a few other priorities at the moment!!

Nice looking rifle, Amkus!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I deffinately got a good deal on it. I've been meaning to pick-up a full stock because the sporterized one just doesn't do justice to it, but I haven't got around to it.

·
Registered
445 Posts

Mossberg ATR-100 with a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50mm scope and Butler Creek flip caps.

It's cheap, it works, yes I painted the stock by hand, and I know I got some over-spray on the bottom of the scope, I'll either clean it off or paint the rest of the gun too. I haven't decided yet.

If I get another bolt gun, I'd like a Remington 700 with Leupold glass, a Harris bipod and some kind of McMillan stock.

That's tons of money though. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts