Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I mean is, how many rounds,, fired consecutively, does it to melt an XD?

Correction: Damage beyond function or repair?

I don't I want to, or can afford to find out on my own.

Thanks,
Slim

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
What I mean is, how many rounds,, fired consecutively, does it to melt an XD?

Correction: Damage beyond function or repair?

I don't I want to, or can afford to find out on my own.

Thanks,
Slim
I don't think your finger will hold up. I've fired over 1500 in classes before with zero ill effect.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
I think your finger will fall off first. I've fired over 1500 in classes before with zero ill effect.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
In the XD torture test done by Chaim Stien had 25 10 round mags. He fired 250 rounds consecutively to the point that water would boil off of the barrel. No problems what so ever. Guns and Ammo did a test where they actually grilled an XD9 again no problems. Here are the two links;

This is the 20,000 round torture test:

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

And this is the Guns and Ammo one. You'll have to scroll through the menu on the side of the screen, the tabs will read most recent handguns and some other stuff use the arrows on either side of the tabs until you see a tab labeled torture tests, click on it and scroll down through the videos the XD9 grilling is in there somewhere!!!

Guns & Ammo Videos

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
A quote from the above mentioned torture test:
"Since we had 25 magazines, we could fire up to 250 rounds in rapid succession, magazine after magazine. And so we did, on a number of occasions. The barrel and slide, and even the trigger, would get painfully hot to the touch, and water would literally boil and evaporate off the slide on contact. I did this several times before--and once after--the torture tests. Still, the XD kept on running."

·
Registered
349 Posts
u-tube has these guys put one on a BBQ and try to melt it and it doesn't, so unless you can get a torch I think that is around 5689 F and cut it up or if you use a carbernising flame and just hold it in one place I don't think you will melt it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i know after 500 rounds at the range a few weeks ago i actualy had to put a glove on because the trigger got to ****ing hot to keep shooting

·
Registered
122 Posts
i ddon't think that it is possible fot your average Joe to melt a gun beacuse of firing too many rounds through it.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Does it really matter? The gun's pretty tough and reliable in extreme yet normal usage scenarios. I guess you could attach it to the belly of a landing space shuttle or do some other crazy, comic book related silly stuff but that wouldn't really tell you much about the gun.

So I'd file this under 'who cares' and 'WTF'...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've shot six 13 round mags and a 10 round compact mag all in a row, as fast as I could swap mags and start shooting again, and the pistol ran just fine. If I fired 88 rounds without failure, and I'm still fighting, then the reliability of the pistol will likely have no further impact on the outcome of the rest of the fight.

How bad can it get beat up, and still shoot? I'd say it will take more than you will...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts