Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purpose: Coyotes and other smaller varmints
Distance: Not more than 400 yards (due to terrain) most shots will be around 300 yards or less. Mostly less.

Done a little reading on the subject the last couple days.
The guys that have them and use them say it works well for coyotes, and the wind doesn't affect it like one would think.

I know they are a fast shooter, and supposed to be pretty flat in terms of flight.

I've got a stripped lower, and a place that is over run with coyotes, so it seems like a great idea :cool:

Anything special I need to know about an AR chambered in 204 Ruger?
Any specific bolt or magazines to accommodate?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Any reason why you don't want to go .223? Seems like with the ammo selections and AR parts available, .223 would be an easier build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
One of the nice things about .204 is it uses the same bolt and mags as .223, since it is based off the .223 case.

As for gaining anything? The .204 is supposed to tear up pelts less than a .223, if that's something you are concerned about.

Personally, for a coyote rifle, I'd go .223, 1:9 twist, find a nice 45 or 50gr load that it likes.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any reason why you don't want to go .223? Seems like with the ammo selections and AR parts available, .223 would be an easier build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I've already got an AR in 556, a 16" carbine built with no real specific purpose in mind other than to just have fun with.
I had settled on building another one in an 18" or 20" size with a free float and a scope. Then I got a wild hair and started looking at the 204 and am very intrigued. It wouldn't be one to just take out and have fun with, a more purpose built rifle for hunting.
Parts for the 204 do seem to be few and far between, especially when compared to the 223. But I am in no hurry and don't have the money now anyway, so that might not matter.
And being left handed, my options for a bolt gun in that caliber are very limited (only one I see is the Ruger Hawkeye), but since I find the AR pattern to be lefty friendly, I am leaning that direction.

But I am open to discussion as whether 223 or 204 would be a better fit.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the nice things about .204 is it uses the same bolt and mags as .223, since it is based off the .223 case.

As for gaining anything? The .204 is supposed to tear up pelts less than a .223, if that's something you are concerned about.

Personally, for a coyote rifle, I'd go .223, 1:9 twist, find a nice 45 or 50gr load that it likes.
16", 18", 20", or am I really going to notice a difference?

Not going to be off a bench other than sighting it in. Would be over the hood of a truck, against a tree, or out of a tower blind.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Wilson combat makes a great .204 ruger upper you should check them out.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
16", 18", 20", or am I really going to notice a difference?

Not going to be off a bench other than sighting it in. Would be over the hood of a truck, against a tree, or out of a tower blind.
With .204, yes, you'll see a difference. It performs better out of longer barrels.

With .223, not so much. 18", as I understand, is the optimal barrel length.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Purpose: Coyotes and other smaller varmints
Distance: Not more than 400 yards (due to terrain) most shots will be around 300 yards or less. Mostly less.

Done a little reading on the subject the last couple days.
The guys that have them and use them say it works well for coyotes, and the wind doesn't affect it like one would think.

I know they are a fast shooter, and supposed to be pretty flat in terms of flight.

I've got a stripped lower, and a place that is over run with coyotes, so it seems like a great idea :cool:

Anything special I need to know about an AR chambered in 204 Ruger?
Any specific bolt or magazines to accommodate?
I don't have much to offer in regards to caliber choice. However, I'd be more than willing to come down from Wichita to help dwindle down that mutt population!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I'm with rharp, I'll help with the yotes

I don't know much about how much it damages pelts, but I doubt there's really that much terminal ballistic difference between a 40gr polymer tipped bullet in .224" or .204" You'll obviously see some difference in the speed - Hornady claims 3900fps muzzle and just under 2800fps @ 300yds with a 24" barrel, 40gr .204" VMax, factory loads of course. With a .224" 40gr VMax in the same barrel length, you're looking at more like 3600fps muzzle and just under 2200fps @ 300yds.

If you're looking for the smallest entrance wound possible, you might look at an even smaller caliber bullet, like .17 Remington, which is just a 223 case necked down to accept a .172" bullet. Hornady makes a 20gr and a 25gr VMax that might just fit the bill for you.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I thought about it, but ammo price at the time made me go the .223 route. I did have a friend with a NEF Handi-Rifle in .204, and the thing was awesome. Totally sold me on the round, and now that I reload I'll own a bolt gun chambered for it eventually. The POI is almost the same at 100yds as at 400yds with zero recoil. So much fun. I'm actually contemplating selling a few handguns and shotguns to buy my .204 bolt and optic right now...decisions are hard.

Oh yeah, I'll also chip in with the assistance in some Yote slaying.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Buy some traps, and start a new hobby! Be a lot cheaper then and AR build and its fun checking em everyday. Use the money you saved, go buy a fox pro, and use the carbine you have to get the other ones!
But if you want the 204 and have the money to shell out on the gun i wouldn't worry about ammo. If its a hunting gun and you're like me you'll use premium ammo from someone, and once you get in that it doesn't really matter what caliber it is, a box of 20 will run about the same.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buy some traps, and start a new hobby! Be a lot cheaper then and AR build and its fun checking em everyday. Use the money you saved, go buy a fox pro, and use the carbine you have to get the other ones!
But if you want the 204 and have the money to shell out on the gun i wouldn't worry about ammo. If its a hunting gun and you're like me you'll use premium ammo from someone, and once you get in that it doesn't really matter what caliber it is, a box of 20 will run about the same.
Yeah, I'll be buying premium ammo either way.

It is quite a drive for me, so every day is out. Especially this time of year when sometimes I don't leave work until it is already dark.

My brother just picked up a fox pro on a sweet sale somewhere. I have used my primos hand calls, and kinda like that method.
Should'a bought a mojo critter when they were $20 though. Still want one.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I still prefer and typically find I have better results using my Primos Rabbit Distress call over my friends' FoxPros. Not impressed.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Yeah, I'll be buying premium ammo either way.

It is quite a drive for me, so every day is out. Especially this time of year when sometimes I don't leave work until it is already dark.

My brother just picked up a fox pro on a sweet sale somewhere. I have used my primos hand calls, and kinda like that method.
Should'a bought a mojo critter when they were $20 though. Still want one.
I like using the critters, hand calls are cool too! I like to use them together when i go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts