Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to revolvers but now obsessed with them.
I've bought two in a month and already thinking about getting a j-frame to carry.

Let us discuss speedstrips and speedloaders.

Do I only need these for carry?
Are they useful at the range?

Speedstrips;
Sure look easier to carry...
VERY cheap to purchase.

Speedloaders, HKS or Safariland?
I've read and watched reviews for 2 hours and now I have a headache.
Seems the Safariland are easier to manipulate.
I also feel the rattling of the rounds in an HKS would get on my nerves.
Unfortunately Safariland doesn't make speedloaders for my 7 shot 686+.

But the biggest question is, do I really need any of this stuff if my current revolvers are only range guns?
Or am I just overthinking things like I always do?:roll:

What say you?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I think having speedloaders is a must for every revolver you own (except perhaps .22's) so that they can be used for self defense.

They are also helpful for running shooting drills. They aren't necesessery at the range for paper punching, but sure do speed reloading up. I practice reloading as quick as I can whenever I shoot my revolvers.

I have both safariland and hks loaders for my ruger, and find the safariland to be overall better made. I keep three safarilands loaded with 125 grain hollow points just for safe keeping. I have an hks that I keep loaded with heavy soft points for hog carry, and have three empty for range and drill use.

I've never used speed strips, but if they are cheap you might as well buy a few.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I'd say-for a range-only gun, they are unnecessary.

For carry...I like speed strips. Speed loaders are bulky. It's the one thing I'm not fond of when it comes to moon clips and .45 carry...but for hunting, I carried speed loaders--they are faster than a strip (at least, for me).

Pro tip: for a 5-shot J-frame, get 6-shot strips and leave one spot empty--it gives you more room to grip onto.

And on that J-frame: go all steel. Yeah, they're a little heavier to carry, but they shoot a hell of a lot nicer.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Pro tip: for a 5-shot J-frame, get 6-shot strips and leave one spot empty--it gives you more room to grip onto.
Interesting. I'm going to have to try this. I always have used 6 rounders for my J-frame but had carried them full. My thought was, under stress if I dropped a round, having an extra would be quicker than hunting for the fumbled one. Of course having a 686P like 1ll, I have 7 round strips that I could download. Thanks for the tip. :cool:

For warm weather CC, it's strictly speed strip. In cooler weather I have a double speed loader pouch that can be carried pretty easily. I always carry backup ammo. Speed strips aren't as fast, but literally disappear in a pocket and keep the rounds in one place and lined up.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I carry a j-frame as a back up. I keep speed strips on me, but I must admit I seem to be all thumbs with them, maybe it's just me. I need more practice and I would recommend a lot of handling/loading drills if you are carrying a revolver regularly.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
HKS vs Safariland - Safarinland. Have both, the Safariland are harder to load up but are more precise and faster for unload. I have the same issue, a Smith 686+ which is not supported by Safariland but the GP100 is supported.

It's speed vs conceal and you're the one that has to answer that question when choosing between the strip vs loader.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Safariland are better but HKS are fine IMO. I've never used the speed strips but when I carry my SP101 I carry an HKS speed loader with a refill. Speed loaders never bothered me being bulky but that's just me.

I honestly think either a speed loader or speed strip is fine as long as you practice. I've always had speed loaders so never bothered learning a new method as I seldom carry a revolver (G30S being my typical carry gun).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Safariland keeps rounds tight and straight, which is not too big of a deal unless you load wadcutters, HKS is not terrible but like I said wadcutters can be a pain with them. With fmj, jhp, jsp or rn lead HKS are fine.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
A snubbie goes with speed strips +1 download -1 for better grip.

If pocket carry speed strip.

Full size or a j frame with relieved grips if your willing to put a speed loader above your belt in a pouch its better. They all work I prefer the palm twist over the finger twist I'm less likely to drop a 3" speed loader than grabbing a penny sized 1/4" deep knurled release.

If I was carrying speed strip pocket loaders in car. Oc palm speed loader why not.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Interesting. I'm going to have to try this. I always have used 6 rounders for my J-frame but had carried them full. My thought was, under stress if I dropped a round, having an extra would be quicker than hunting for the fumbled one. Of course having a 686P like 1ll, I have 7 round strips that I could download. Thanks for the tip. :cool:

For warm weather CC, it's strictly speed strip. In cooler weather I have a double speed loader pouch that can be carried pretty easily. I always carry backup ammo. Speed strips aren't as fast, but literally disappear in a pocket and keep the rounds in one place and lined up.
It works quite well...eject your rounds, put the first two rounds into the cylinder, strip 'em, put the second two in, strip 'em, put the last one in, strip it, drop the speed strip.

I suppose you could always buy a 7 or 8 shor speed strip and carry more ammo...but that would mean retaining the strip after a reload, and...I'm not a fan. Drop it and go.

·
Registered
218 Posts
For concealed carry, I prefer the speed strips. With some practice, they can be almost as fast as speed loaders. I found an Acumold glove pouch that will hold two speed strips perfectly, and you have the choice of wearing it on your belt or slip in in your hip pocket.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your input.
I did order 2 speed strips because they are so cheap.

I'll hold off on any speed loaders until i figure out I'll carry said revolver or not.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Let us discuss speedstrips and speedloaders.

Do I only need these for carry?
Are they useful at the range?
You will need to practice.

Speedloaders, HKS or Safariland?
"Yes"

(They're cheap, get some of both.)

Seems the Safariland are easier to manipulate.
Yes and no.

I also feel the rattling of the rounds in an HKS would get on my nerves.
They'll be carried (probably) in a belt pouch. They won't rattle there.

Unfortunately Safariland doesn't make speedloaders for my 7 shot 686+.
Well, there you go. Decision made for you.

But the biggest question is, do I really need any of this stuff if my current revolvers are only range guns?
No, not if they're strictly range guns.

But, you're looking at getting a J-frame. That's a carry gun.

What say you?
Get one of Grant Cunningham's books on the revolver, and read his chapter on speed loaders. There' s more out there than those two. He also goes over reload techniques.

You might also look into 5 Star speedloaders.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
You COULD spend money on speed loaders or take the initial bite and send the crane and cylinder off to get machined for moon clips.

Moon clips are the most amazing thing ever for revolver reloading.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I've never used speed strips, only speed loaders. My first carry gun was a revolver and speed loaders have just been what I like and am used to. Personally, and remember, this is coming from someone who has never used a speed strip, I'd think that the practice needed to reload with strips vs. loaders, would be extreme. Plus, if speed loaders are what The Great Jerry uses, then I'm using them too. ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I need to get a few speedstrips. I've never liked the speed loaders. At the range when speed isn't necessary, they are just an extra step to accomplish.

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
For carry...I like speed strips. Speed loaders are bulky.
I found an Acumold glove pouch that will hold two speed strips perfectly, and you have the choice of wearing it on your belt or slip in in your hip pocket.
^ The above two, for me, too.

The reason why I'll carry my J-frame snubbie is because I need to be extra-low-profile, which is typically brought-on by how I'm dressing at the time.

With that as a given, speed-loaders provide just too much bulk.

I carry two strips in a pouch (a lot of different ones will do, including various smaller cell-phone pouches) - either on my belt or in one of my pockets.

As for whether or not to down-load the strip, there are some revolver experts who like(d) to "down-load" their strips in order to get more leverage on the strip and/or insure easier incoming-rounds-to-cylinder alignment. deBethencourt and the late Paul Gomez, for example, both prefer(red) a "4-on-the-strip" method when it comes to feeding a 5-shot J-frame.

The following was Gomez's post on DefensiveCarry.com -

[quote="Paul Gomez"[
I only carry 4 rounds in a Speed Strip [skip the first and last holes].

I do this for two reasons. One, I have a stiffer tab to manipulate the little things under stress and, Two, the differences in times and fumbled reloads is remarkable when you start playing with just 4 rounds in a strip.

Whatever your reload time is with a Speed Strip, regardless of whether you are reloading a 5 or 6 shot gun, you will, most likely, find a 50% decrease in overall reload time if you try the 4 rounds on a strip reload. It has to do with the precision required to place exactly one carridge in exactly one hole, or exactly 2 in exactly 2, under duress.

If I am having to reload a snub nosed revolver, in a fight, I'm having a very bad day and I want to get some ammo in and get the gun back in the fight as quickly as I can. For me, 4 rounds on a strip helps accomplish that goal.[/quote]

http://www.snubtraining.com/pdfs/snubby.pdf

^ Taken from SnubTraining.com (deBethencourt's site), a .pdf scan of a Kenik/Mroz article in Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, detailing deBethencourt's methodology, using a SpeedStrip.

There's also various reloading methods to consider. Some relinquish fire-control, others do not.

There's no implications here - from my post - I'm not saying that one or another instructor's method is better/worse - just tools in the tool-chest and things to keep in mind as you practice/train. :smile:

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I use speed strips for the partial reload capability and because it lays flat in the pocket.

I carry more rounds on the speed strip than necessary because I will frequently drop a round on the ground when I'm in a hurry.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Nice article, enjoyed it very much. Have always used speed loaders, but lately have thought about getting some speed strips, they do seem to be easier to carry and conceal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts