Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some target practice out on our property and my sister came by and I asked her if she wanted to try out my XDM, after a little coercion I got her to shoot a 10rd mag. First off, she has never shot a handgun, she is in her late 20s and is petite. I'll let the pic speak for itself. Shooting from 7 yards she shot 6 out of 10 rounds in a 2in square w/ 3-4 in the bulls-eye!

·
Registered
134 Posts
WOW! That's nice, I can't wait to see how my girlfriend does with my new XD40c. I'm taking my dad to the range with me when I get off work in a few hours. I'll be posting a range report, cus we will also be shooting my buddy's new AR15!

·
Premium Member
21,762 Posts
I call BS on never shooting before. There has to be some sort of video game training in there.:p That is some good shooting.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The same thing happened when I took my wife shooting for the first time. I think women who have never shot before are easier to teach how to shoot. They don't have any bad habits to overcome and they tend to hesitate with the trigger. That apprehension leads to a slow steady trigger pull. The only thing I've noticed from every female I've taught to shoot is they all tend to lean back at the waist.

Tell her good job!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The same thing happened when I took my wife shooting for the first time. I think women who have never shot before are easier to teach how to shoot. They don't have any bad habits to overcome and they tend to hesitate with the trigger. That apprehension leads to a slow steady trigger pull. The only thing I've noticed from every female I've taught to shoot is they all tend to lean back at the waist.

Tell her good job!

Exactly! Especially the lean back. It's not a good thing as it makes controlling recoil much more difficult.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have been teaching my wife with an XDM 9 4.5" that she shot and told me it was now hers!?!? Well she is a good target shot but I have really started to get her into a more defensive shooting style and her accuracy failed at first but is starting to improve. I have learned that it is like coaching a kid to pitch correctly. Consistency, repetition and lots and lots of reminding her of where her feet and shoulders are and where they should be.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My wife did the same thing. Never fired a gun of any kind till I took her to an indoor range. She was shooting dead center with tight groups from about the same distance. I bought her a gun on the way out but she sold it shortly after I bought it. I bought her another gun and she sold it as well so no more guns for her unless she buys her own.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Women tend to be naturals at shooting, just rarely have the same inclination to pick it up. I had a girlfriend once that owned a Snub .38 Special. She got it in her divorce, but never fired it. I took here to a spot to shoot and she nailed all the cans off the dirt mound from 20 feet! With a snub nose!

Also, anyone that I've let shoot my XDm9 has shot it better than any of their own guns. That should speak volumes about the XDm series. I think it's the trigger, myself, but being fairly new at this, I don't have any real clue why that is.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

Tell her good job!
The 2 women & the one girl I've had shoot my handguns were far better their first time out than the men or boys, and the girls all leaned back like they were trying to get away from the recoil. :rolleyes:

To the OP, tell your sis, that we approve of her shooting skillz, and that you need to let her shoot more often.

Nicely done,... and who says a little coercion is a bad thing. ;) :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Nice Shooting, and good job to you for taking her shooting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all! I was so proud, haha! She totally did that lean back thing too but I figured I wouldn't bother her with working on that. I don't think she will take up shooting but I was super happy that she was game. Also, though, she does do a lot of precision work with a pneumatic staple gun in the family business that I think might've given her some help.

And I totally agree on the being new = being open to instruction. I just gave her some solid basics and she executed them perfectly. I went shooting with 3 buddies a few weeks earlier (none of them pistol shooters but have shot one before) and they could barely hit the target, let alone 3-4 bulls-eyes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts