Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there that have experience with them? Are they a viable home defense round? I know there are several types: bean bag, rubber pellet, rubber slug, etc., but is one any more effective then another? I live in a condo and worry about over-penetration with buck rounds... my gut instinct says stay with 00 buck. What is better between 9 pellets and 12 pellets? Are there any home defense application specific shells being made? Thanks to anyone who can help!

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Anyone out there that have experience with them? Are they a viable home defense round? I know there are several types: bean bag, rubber pellet, rubber slug, etc., but is one any more effective then another? I live in a condo and worry about over-penetration with buck rounds... my gut instinct says stay with 00 buck. What is better between 9 pellets and 12 pellets? Are there any home defense application specific shells being made? Thanks to anyone who can help!
I would not defend my home with less than lethal ammo. 00 buck is going to get the job done be with 9 or 12 pellets.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
If someone is stupid enough to enter my house with me in it, I've got nothing but a lethal hello and goodbye for them. That's just me, but no one deserves an ounce of sympathy if they force ably come into my house to do me or my family harm.

·
Registered
293 Posts
A projectile going through a wall certainly has to be considered, but rubber bullets??? That would just make the scoundrel mad. Buck shot is good, but also consider Glazer Safety Slugs in your handgun.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Why would you want "less than lethal"? So they can sue you a month later for pain and suffering?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't consider any kind of prefragmented pistol ammo, it doesn't perform well enough to stop an intruder. If you're going to shoot a lot of small projectiles at an intruder shoot it from a shotgun.

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

I mean this all in reference to my 870. The Box O' Truth was cool and enlightening. I think at this point I am going to stick with 00 buck as my HD round. Any recommendations on 9 pellet vs. 12 pellet? Brand? I use winchester super-x right now but would consider a move to federal, remington or hornady if they had the right shell. Does anyone make a cartridge specifically for home defense?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I have 12 pellet Win in my 500 but that's just personal preference.

Try this page, scroll down about 3/4 of the way. There's links to good ballistics test.

tacticalworks.ca!

·
Premium Member
648 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why would you let Priority 3 interfere with Priority 1? Kill the intruder with extreme prejudice, then look for his buddies. If you are worried about your neighbor's goldfish tank, the hoodlums are going to kill you because they don't give a damn about the goldfish. Or you....
I'm sensing some guilt about owning a gun in the first place. Do you live in California?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Now that's what I am talking about! Old fashioned home-defense!

I looked real hard at one of these but I couldn't find one with night sights ;)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would you let Priority 3 interfere with Priority 1? Kill the intruder with extreme prejudice, then look for his buddies. If you are worried about your neighbor's goldfish tank, the hoodlums are going to kill you because they don't give a damn about the goldfish. Or you....
I'm sensing some guilt about owning a gun in the first place. Do you live in California?
I got the gun due to my family and I going through a home invasion/burglary, while we were home!

No guilt.... just anger.

And yes, I do live in CA, where gun laws protect the perps, and put the victims in bad legal situations, hence my hesitation to just pop shots at someone in my house without careful consideration. The decision I make in a nano-second could cost me dearly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Id think that if you were to shoot an intruder with bean bags or rubber that he would probly turn around and sue you. Sorry but thats the world we live in. When I shoot they arent getting back up

·
Registered
260 Posts
Slow your roll a bit. It seems more like he's concerned with the safety of his neighbors, not necessarily their property, in the event that he has to use his weapon.

And California or not, if you injure or God forbid kill someone else (not the intruder) during an event like this, you are going to jail. End of story.

·
Registered
254 Posts
...if you injure or God forbid kill someone else (not the intruder) during an event like this, you are going to jail. End of story.
If you don't stop the BG, you may well not have to worry about Anything Ever Again. A REAL end of story.

- OS

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i wouldnt have a problem with useing one shell of less lethal ammo in a shotgun just to cover your a$$ but i wouldnt wait to see if it worked i would just shoot that and follow that up with real ammo, that way you could say you tried to use a less lethal ammo but it didnt stop them and you had to resort to lethal ammo. it shows that you werent out to kill. but i wouldnt trust any less lethal pistol ammo, only shotgun since you dont have to worry about it not cycling

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Why would you want "less than lethal"? So they can sue you a month later for pain and suffering?
EXACTLY, Your honor after this homeowner shot me with his supposedly less than lethal shells I have this shooting pain that wont let me sleep or have sex, I'll need at least $250,000 to ease my pain and cover my Methadone pain treatment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts