Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the XDm 9mm 4.5" pistol that I use for duty carry. I added the new Trijicon HD night sights (orange front dot) as well as a PRP drop in trigger kit. The pull weight is around a nice 5lbs. and the trigger is SOOO much better vs. stock now.

For my duty holster, I use Safariland's new 6360 series with the added Sentry guard. That makes the holster a L4 when everything is engaged. I can leave the Sentry disengaged, thus making it L3, and even with the hood down it is still a L2 because of the new "thumb release" under the hood. You might think that all of those security features slow your draw down, but they really don't. The drawing motion is so natural with that holster that only after a minute or two of practice, I was just as quick as I am with my Blackhawk Serpa L3.

I qualified this past Tuesday and not only was I the fastest on the range out of 19 officers, but I was also the most accurate. We use Q targets and I had a nice, fist sized hole right where the Q is supposed to be. That gun is a nail driver! I can definitely compare it to a Kimber Custom 1911 that I have.

The 19 round magazines are a nice touch, and I have no problems loading them to capacity. Others have complained about them, but if you load them up and let them sit for a week or two, they should no longer present a problem. I am looking at getting the +4 Extensions offered by PRP, as well as either a Stainless Steel guide rod or a Tungsten guide rod.

My choice in duty ammo is the Federal HST 124g +P 9mm cartridge. Being a member of the CSU, we do some ballistic testing and I have found that this particular cartridge actually expands BETTER than a Speer GD 230g .45 ACP! As a matter of fact, Federal even has those details on the le-atk test sites (for the non-believers). Bullet technology has come a long way.

I know, I know...there is no way that a 9mm out performs a .45, right? Wrong! If you tried to push a .45 to 9mm velocities, the recoil would be ridiculous. There is a reason the .45 is a "slow" moving bullet. The .40 S&W was designed to try and be a bigger bullet with 9mm velocity, and the result was a snappier recoil with slower recovery time between shots. The HST design has taken the 9mm to a new level and I swear by it now, as a police officer on the streets of one of the highest crime rated cities in the US (per capita).

One trend that is happening in police involved shootings is that more and more bad guys are starting to use rifles. If I have to lay down cover/suppressing fire until help arrives, or until I can get to my own rifle, I would much rather have mags that hold 19 (23) vs. 7, 10 or 13. You never know what you are going to roll up on as a cop, and many times whatever you have on you at the time is what you have to work with. Home defense is a different beast altogether.

This is not a 9mm vs. 45 post. That argument is for people that can't hit the 10 ring.

This is a post about my XDm 9mm setup and how much I LOVE this gun as my daily carry weapon. :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
I actually did not know they made mag extensions for the XDm 9mm. I honestly never thought to look, because 19(+1) is already a huge capacity lol.

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
That's good to hear. I have been trying to get more HST2 147gr (only have 1 box of 50) but I think I'll be just as happy with HST.

Ventura Munitions has reloads with HST bullets that should help lower the cost of proving it runs reliably in my XD9 and Shield.

Sent from the county jail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to hear. I have been trying to get more HST2 147gr (only have 1 box of 50) but I think I'll be just as happy with HST.

Ventura Munitions has reloads with HST bullets that should help lower the cost of proving it runs reliably in my XD9 and Shield.

We tested both the HST 124g +P and HST 147g cartridge. The 124g +P expanded slightly more, and the 147g penetrated slightly more. Testing was done on bare gelatin. The differences were minimal, but they are there.

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
Well, actually I don't think the VM reloaded HST's are +P

Caliber: 9mm
Bullet Style: 124 Grain
Muzzle Velocity: 1,020 fps
Muzzle Energy: 287 ft/lbs

But, I'm checking mechanical feeding so shouldn't be affected by P vs +P. Slide might go back harder on +P but that's not a problem on P loads anyway.

That said, I'm not finding 124gr +P HST's either... ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That said, I'm not finding 124gr +P HST's either... ?
I just checked about a dozen online stores and every single one of them are sold out/on back order. There is a local shop here that has some, but not sure what they would charge for shipping.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I just swapped my XDM 40 for an FNX-40. I'm shooting better now. I really liked the XD, so I thought I'd like the XDM too. I was incorrect. Sounds like the OP has it down, though. Good job!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
CSU, I hate you! The XD/XDM series is NOT on my Department's list of approved carry guns. I have an XD .45 I'd love to carry.

·
Registered
326 Posts
CSU, I hate you! The XD/XDM series is NOT on my Department's list of approved carry guns. I have an XD .45 I'd love to carry. I suppose I should be grateful they allow the carry of any personal weapons at all.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have the XDm 9mm 4.5" pistol that I use for duty carry. I added the new Trijicon HD night sights (orange front dot) as well as a PRP drop in trigger kit. The pull weight is around a nice 5lbs. and the trigger is SOOO much better vs. stock now.

For my duty holster, I use Safariland's new 6360 series with the added Sentry guard. That makes the holster a L4 when everything is engaged. I can leave the Sentry disengaged, thus making it L3, and even with the hood down it is still a L2 because of the new "thumb release" under the hood. You might think that all of those security features slow your draw down, but they really don't. The drawing motion is so natural with that holster that only after a minute or two of practice, I was just as quick as I am with my Blackhawk Serpa L3.

I qualified this past Tuesday and not only was I the fastest on the range out of 19 officers, but I was also the most accurate. We use Q targets and I had a nice, fist sized hole right where the Q is supposed to be. That gun is a nail driver! I can definitely compare it to a Kimber Custom 1911 that I have.

The 19 round magazines are a nice touch, and I have no problems loading them to capacity. Others have complained about them, but if you load them up and let them sit for a week or two, they should no longer present a problem. I am looking at getting the +4 Extensions offered by PRP, as well as either a Stainless Steel guide rod or a Tungsten guide rod.

My choice in duty ammo is the Federal HST 124g +P 9mm cartridge. Being a member of the CSU, we do some ballistic testing and I have found that this particular cartridge actually expands BETTER than a Speer GD 230g .45 ACP! As a matter of fact, Federal even has those details on the le-atk test sites (for the non-believers). Bullet technology has come a long way.

I know, I know...there is no way that a 9mm out performs a .45, right? Wrong! If you tried to push a .45 to 9mm velocities, the recoil would be ridiculous. There is a reason the .45 is a "slow" moving bullet. The .40 S&W was designed to try and be a bigger bullet with 9mm velocity, and the result was a snappier recoil with slower recovery time between shots. The HST design has taken the 9mm to a new level and I swear by it now, as a police officer on the streets of one of the highest crime rated cities in the US (per capita).

One trend that is happening in police involved shootings is that more and more bad guys are starting to use rifles. If I have to lay down cover/suppressing fire until help arrives, or until I can get to my own rifle, I would much rather have mags that hold 19 (23) vs. 7, 10 or 13. You never know what you are going to roll up on as a cop, and many times whatever you have on you at the time is what you have to work with. Home defense is a different beast altogether.

This is not a 9mm vs. 45 post. That argument is for people that can't hit the 10 ring.

This is a post about my XDm 9mm setup and how much I LOVE this gun as my daily carry weapon. :D

Awesome, I have the same ammo for my G19, their was a guy that was selling all of his 9mm Federal so I bought all 300+ from him but right now I'm carry the G27 with the Lone Wolf .357 sig barrel in it, I pick up about 100 rounds of Underwood ammo for it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Great post, thanks. I am not an LEO, so forgive these simple questions. Do departments insist on everyone carrying the same weapon, so magazines/bullets can be shared in a gunfight?
What grip/shooting style have you been taught? I was curious if the Center Axis Relock method is used in PDs.
You mentioned the bad guys have rifles - I presume you do also. Is that an officers choice, or do you all carry the same rifle? .223 or .308?
Thanks for all you do out there.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
CSU, I hate you! The XD/XDM series is NOT on my Department's list of approved carry guns. I have an XD .45 I'd love to carry. I suppose I should be grateful they allow the carry of any personal weapons at all.
Echo others: excellent post and welcome from Louisiana.

With your stellar performance on the range, surely there must be a way to petition your rangemaster/department to allow you to carry what seems to be your new favorite sidearm?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
WoW, great post..i wasn't aware that any LEO's carried the XD/XDm guns......that's great to hear......with Glock having the strangle-hold on the LEO market, it must take an act of Congress to be able to carry an XD gun..........welcome and thanks for great info.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Bullet technology has come a long way, howevver:

All gel tests should be done with 4 layers of denim, per IWBA.

.45 has 60% greater frontal area than 9mm before expansion.

There is a reason they keep trying to make small bullets act like big bullets.

The 9mm pictured is not +p, but I am unsure how the extra velocity would make it expand to a diameter greater than the expanded .45.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great post, thanks. I am not an LEO, so forgive these simple questions. Do departments insist on everyone carrying the same weapon, so magazines/bullets can be shared in a gunfight?
Each dept. will differ. We do no have to carry the same of anything. The city issues a S&W M&P 9mm (great pistol as well) but there is a list of approved weapons and ammo to choose from, if you buy your own.

What grip/shooting style have you been taught? I was curious if the Center Axis Relock method is used in PDs.
We are taught the Isosceles stance. Old school was Weaver, but now they want your body armor being squared off against the threat b/c that maximizes your chances of survival. As far as grip goes...a proper one for shooting the XDm b/c of the grip safety! ;)

However, there are other scenarios where you might use something different, such as a building sweep. We also train in 1 handed shooting scenarios to simulate having a hand being injured by a bullet from the bad guy. It is in this scenario where the "bigger bore" calibers have the most trouble controlling their shots and scoring accurate hits on the target. It is an eye opener for them.

You mentioned the bad guys have rifles - I presume you do also. Is that an officers choice, or do you all carry the same rifle? .223 or .308?
Thanks for all you do out there.
I have a rifle. It is a Bushmaster .223 that the dept. issues. Only a select few get to carry it b/c our city is "anti intimidation" and rifles are intimidating to the public. It is a political stunt by the higher ups. They usually reserve the rifles for prior military (11 Bravo here). I much prefer a .308, such as the HK G3.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WoW, great post..i wasn't aware that any LEO's carried the XD/XDm guns......that's great to hear......with Glock having the strangle-hold on the LEO market, it must take an act of Congress to be able to carry an XD gun..........welcome and thanks for great info.
I had my trial period with Glocks. They are ok but they are not my cup of tea. I much prefer my SA pistols, as well as the newer FNX line by FNH. As stated above, my dept. issues the M&P 9mm.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts