Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying that I am still a newbie when it comes to shooting handguns. I was at the range on Sunday practicing for my upcoming chl class on the 5th and was shooting high and right at 15 yards. 3 & 7 are no problem at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and by the way I have the XD40sc and man I love it!!!
Chris

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Shooting right for lefties (and shooting left for right handed people) is a common trigger pull problem, often cured by technique tweaking. As for shooting high: possibles;
1-if gun has adjustable elevation sights, the sight may be off
2-sight picture (aiming problem also cured with proper technique)
3-anticipating the recoil. (I had a shooting instructor that would perform test for this. He would load a revolver (6 shooter) with 5rds live ammo. The 6th round would be a spent round (already fired). He would have us then shoot single action. When we got to the spent round, usually, one of us would pull the trigger and the gun would lunge forward, as we anticipated the recoil (even though no shot was fired, the shooter would push the weapon forward to compensate for the recoil.) This is a targeting mistake than can make your shot wild. Hold the weapon firmly and squeeze the trigger. Let the weapon recoil; don't try and stop it.
Hope this helps!;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shooting right for lefties (and shooting left for right handed people) is a common trigger pull problem, often cured by technique tweaking. As for shooting high: possibles;
1-if gun has adjustable elevation sights, the sight may be off
2-sight picture (aiming problem also cured with proper technique)
3-anticipating the recoil. (I had a shooting instructor that would perform test for this. He would load a revolver (6 shooter) with 5rds live ammo. The 6th round would be a spent round (already fired). He would have us then shoot single action. When we got to the spent round, usually, one of us would pull the trigger and the gun would lunge forward, as we anticipated the recoil (even though no shot was fired, the shooter would push the weapon forward to compensate for the recoil.) This is a targeting mistake than can make your shot wild. Hold the weapon firmly and squeeze the trigger. Let the weapon recoil; don't try and stop it.
Hope this helps!;)

Thanks for the advice, I am going to the range after work tomorrow and see if I can make som adjustments. I would say its most likely the anticipation of the recoil, and I think I may be jerking the trigger as well instead of pulling. So we will see tomorrow!!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
99% of the time it's just getting used to the gun and perfecting the trigger pull and grip as a lefty the first few times I shot the XD I was shooting right and low after a few adjustment in my grip and trigger pull I'm right on with not sight adjustment.

Forgot to mention for a lefty mirror image the graphic below. Left is right and right is left.
Right and low means tightening fingers and right means too little trigger finger.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
+1! nice graphics! just remember, for you, when you look at this illustration, right is left and left is right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts