Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Father in Law and I are both in the market for AR's. Well, he definitely is, and I *might* be. I am just starting to do some research on brands, etc. We will definitely buy instead of build.

He is a left handed shooter, and I was wondering if Stag was the only real option for let handed shooters.

He has deep pockets, so cost really isn't much of a concern.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm a lefty and shoot right handed AR's. With the shell deflector it isn't really an issue. IMO just get a right handed rifle. It would probably be easier to sell if you ever decide to and you have more options. The lefty AR's I've seen have the ejection port on the left but the shell deflector is still on the right side. That makes no sense to me. I know the deflector is on the right because they start with regular forgings but it still seems kind of half baked.

My varmint gun is right handed with standards parts and works fine for me shooting from a bench. My carbine has an ambi selector and a 2 pad "tactical" bolt catch. Both help with manipulation by a lefty. You can also get ambi mag releases but I don't find a need for one. You can easily add those parts to a purchased AR that doesn't have them.

If you do want to go left handed upper for him, yes, stag is the only lefty that i've seen.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
I'm a lefty and shoot right handed AR's. With the shell deflector it isn't really an issue. IMO just get a right handed rifle.
Left handed shooters were the reason for the shell deflector.
Lowers are all setup for right hand anyway. Add an ambi selector and mag release and you're set.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I do love that my Stag tosses the brass and gas in the other direction and not across my face.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My second child just happens to be left handed. He's 1-1/2yrs old now but no amount of beating gets rid of the goofy handedness. Not one soul on my side or the wifes is left handed so who knows what the influence is on this terrible habit!

Just joking! Get a right handed rifle with an ambi switch and you'll be just fine! One of my roomates in the Marines was lefthanded and he adapted quite well!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the responses! It sounds like the majority think that right handed rifles are just fine, while NC Dave and pleasantguy like having the lefty option.

Like I mentioned, resale value won't be very important for him so we might look at the Stag.

The funny thing is, I am also left handed but I shoot right handed and am right eye dominant. Weird.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you with the eye dominance. I'm right handed, but my right eye is practically blind, so I have to shoot rifles lefty. I'm in the process of building my first AR, and I just decided to go with the left handed stag upper from AR15sales.com. It should be here this Friday. I also got an ambi safety from midwayusa, ambi sling adapter, and an ambi Ergo grip. I knew it would be cheaper to just get a right handed setup, but I decided to make this rifle "mine" and build it how I want. I'm sure I'll be keeping it a long time and will most likely just add on to it before I build a complete other rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts