Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am left-handed. I was practicing dry-fire and magazine changes, and still not comfortable with my procedure.

With slide locked back simulating last round, arms extended and normal shooting grip, I pull the weapon in front of my face while finding and pushing the magazine release with my left hand index finger.
With my right hand I pull a spare from my belt and feel for the front detent with my right index finger as I bring it up into my vision, verifying it is oriented correctly. I tilt the weapon so I can see the grip bottom, and push in the spare magazine.
Now, as I bring my right hand on to the weapon grip, I am searching for the slide release with my left index finger. I shift my left hand grip slightly to get enough force to push down on the slide release. Once the slide releases I regrip with my left hand, bring my right hand on the weapon and begin sight alignment.

Anyone use another finger for the magazine and/or slide release?
Anything I should modify?
Your wisdom appreciated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use the left middle finger to drop a mag. It's easier than reaching it with my thumb. I also use the "slingshot" method over using the slide release.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use my left thumb to release the mag. Left index to actuate the slide release.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use my left middle finger for the mag, sometimes I use my index for the slide release or slingshot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd also like to add that being left handed is HARD!!! you righties don't know how lucky you are. The whole damn world is engineered for you. Us lefties have to adapt! I started on my dads old guns, got used to right handed safeties. Kept my middle finger curled under the trigger guard to actuate the safety. To this day I can't shoot a left handed shotgun safely. I'm so used to doing it that way it's all I know. I even taught myself to play guitar right handed so I wouldn't have to transpose the lessons I was seeing.......

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I am left-handed. I was practicing dry-fire and magazine changes, and still not comfortable with my procedure.

With slide locked back simulating last round, arms extended and normal shooting grip, I pull the weapon in front of my face while finding and pushing the magazine release with my left hand index finger.
With my right hand I pull a spare from my belt and feel for the front detent with my right index finger as I bring it up into my vision, verifying it is oriented correctly. I tilt the weapon so I can see the grip bottom, and push in the spare magazine.
Now, as I bring my right hand on to the weapon grip, I am searching for the slide release with my left index finger. I shift my left hand grip slightly to get enough force to push down on the slide release. Once the slide releases I regrip with my left hand, bring my right hand on the weapon and begin sight alignment.

Anyone use another finger for the magazine and/or slide release?
Anything I should modify?
Your wisdom appreciated.
I'm a lefty, too, and that's the the technique I use except I'll simply jack the slide with my right hand to release it..

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Left thumb on mag release. Left index finger for slide release works for me. YMMV.
Go with what works best for you.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all your responses. I greatly appreciate the input. Let me share some of what I learned today in a "Level 1 Self Defense" class - what is considered the next class after your basic CCW training.

This class taught the Center Axis Relock (CAR) method. Do a YouTube search and you will see some videos on the topic. I recommend it.
Some things I learned as value to lefties in particular:

Attempting to release a magazine with one finger or fingers is a fine motor skill. While good at the range, you loose much of your fine motor skills when in a gunfight and you are overwhelmed with adrenaline. Better to use gross motor skills - in this case, charging the weapon by placing your lower palm against the back of the slide, fingers gripping the other side, and holding the slide in place, push the pistol frame forward and release the slide.

Most people (84%) are cross-eye dominant, that is, lefties tend to have their right-eye dominant. I am weird having my left eye dominant. Nevertheless, the CAR method teaches strong and weak hand shooting, with the opposite eye, and it was such an eye-opener (could not resist) that I am now entirely comfortable shooting accurately with either hand or either eye. Unbelievable, but totally nailed it.

So, you are shooting weak (right-handed) and you run out and need to do a mag change. Hmmm. Spares on the right hip. Gun in your right hand. Switch hands and do a normal mag change, then switch back.

Some other things I learned in general:

The CAR method reduces recoil by 95%. I have been struggling for just the right grip and thumb position to reduce recoil. Now I can put a 19 round mag in a 3x5 card at 6 feet with or without aiming. Weak hand too.

Cannot recommend enough to train, train, train, practice, practice, practice.

We each shot about 200 rounds, ball ammo of a few brands. My XDM, they had SIGs and Glocks, no one had a FTF. Quality guns totally rock.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Left thumb depresses the mag release as I raise/tilt the pistol. Verify the clear mag well and insert fresh mag with the right hand. Rotate the pistol back towards the target and slingshot the slide. Return to grip/ready.

<edited for content/relavence to subject matter>

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Left thumb depresses the mag release as I raise/tilt the pistol. Verify the clear mag well and insert fresh mag with the right hand. Rotate the pistol back towards the target and slingshot the slide. Return to grip/ready.

Thanks. Do you have large hands, or do you slightly rotate your left hand grip in order to reach the mag release with your thumb? I have the smallest backstrap installed, and cannot reach the mag release. I wear a large size glove.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I own an XD, no interchangeable back straps. I do have to rotate my grip some to fully depress the release button. I also wear large size gloves.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I'm a righty, but do probably as much range time with my left as my right.

I use my left middle finger to drop the mag. and make sure the bottom of the magwell is facing to the right.

After loading a fresh mag, I rotate the gun about 60 degres along its axis so that instead of the magwell facing my right hand, the top of the slide is facing my right hand. Then use the slingshot method to release the slide again. <---- gross motor skills instead of fine motor skills and trying to find that slide stop.

·
Administrator
16,919 Posts
Thank you for all your responses. I greatly appreciate the input. Let me share some of what I learned today in a "Level 1 Self Defense" class - what is considered the next class after your basic CCW training.

This class taught the Center Axis Relock (CAR) method. Do a YouTube search and you will see some videos on the topic. I recommend it.
Some things I learned as value to lefties in particular:

Attempting to release a magazine with one finger or fingers is a fine motor skill. While good at the range, you loose much of your fine motor skills when in a gunfight and you are overwhelmed with adrenaline. Better to use gross motor skills - in this case, charging the weapon by placing your lower palm against the back of the slide, fingers gripping the other side, and holding the slide in place, push the pistol frame forward and release the slide.

Most people (84%) are cross-eye dominant, that is, lefties tend to have their right-eye dominant. I am weird having my left eye dominant. Nevertheless, the CAR method teaches strong and weak hand shooting, with the opposite eye, and it was such an eye-opener (could not resist) that I am now entirely comfortable shooting accurately with either hand or either eye. Unbelievable, but totally nailed it.

So, you are shooting weak (right-handed) and you run out and need to do a mag change. Hmmm. Spares on the right hip. Gun in your right hand. Switch hands and do a normal mag change, then switch back.

Some other things I learned in general:

The CAR method reduces recoil by 95%. I have been struggling for just the right grip and thumb position to reduce recoil. Now I can put a 19 round mag in a 3x5 card at 6 feet with or without aiming. Weak hand too.

Cannot recommend enough to train, train, train, practice, practice, practice.

We each shot about 200 rounds, ball ammo of a few brands. My XDM, they had SIGs and Glocks, no one had a FTF. Quality guns totally rock.
Let me stop you right there.... pulling a trigger is a fine motor skill. Loading a magazine is a fine motor skill. Running is a gross motor skill... punching, throwing. Anything you do with a gun is a "fine" motor skill. A broad sword is a gross motor skill. I don't see too many of them. "The "fine" motor skill talk is over rated.

On my XD, I got a Springer slide stop lever. There are other "extended" slide locks out there.... but lefties need it extended forward. Most are extended rearward for right handers to use their thumb. The Springer one is extended forward. Plus it has a much much sharper surface. Much much better grip that the smooth flat one on the XD.

I use my trigger finger to drop mags and the slide. I had a XD45, and I had to shift my grip too much to use my thumb to drop mags. So with any gun that was just easier.

Not to hijack with another brand... not trying to sell anything... I converted to HK pistols. Not just because HK, but because they are best for this lefty. FN, M&P, Walthers are all ambi, but the HK worked best for me.

I only say that because HK has paddles for the mag release same as Walther PPQ. And it is best to use trigger finger on those. So while it is "ambi" and I can use either, it works best to use trigger finger. So that was very natural for me since I did it anyway. The PPQ M2 is the only pistol I did not have to shift my grip to drop a mag with my thumb. Perfect location. You can't go wrong with the paddles or the button.

As far as sling shot... I get tired of righties telling us lefties to get over it and sling shot. Why does any pistol have slide stops then??? Because it is a very useful control... and regardless what anyone says, using the slide stop after reload is the fastest way to get back on target. Period. That's what they are for. Sling shot takes more time. Having a right side slide lock is really nice now. So awesome to be able to use a gun the way it was designed.

So seriously, look into the Springer Precision extended lever. Much nicer. Great improvement... minimal cost.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was noticing the Walther seemed to have the whole bottom of the trigger housing as the mag release lever - is that the way the PPQ works? Nice looking pistol.
Will take a look at HKs. Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,919 Posts
I was noticing the Walther seemed to have the whole bottom of the trigger housing as the mag release lever - is that the way the PPQ works? Nice looking pistol.
Will take a look at HKs. Thanks.
Yes, the paddle is very long. Not sure why. The HK paddles are not that long. Some don't like paddles, so they came out with the M2 PPQ. Buttons. And it is perfect location. I don't have any problem with paddles. Still perfectly Natural for me... Apply pressure, mag drops.

Oh, and not really the bottom of trigger guard.... Paddles along side on each side. The ergos of the PPQ are ridiculous. I just got a HK P30. Those ergos are awesome too. But I did look at everything ambi. M&Ps too. Those have a lot to offer too. But the ergos and controls of the HK won. And I was just looking for carry. I was never going to let go of the XD45. It's gone now. I still dig my friends Xdm. The extended lever is better. Even with the better lever in the M series.

Oh, and I did look up CAR. Interesting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts