Springfield XD Forum banner

Left versus Right?

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  HB of CJ 
#1 ·
So I'm looking to get an AR, but I'm curious whether I should worry about getting a left handed model versus the right handed (I am left handed and shoot left handed).

I know the ejection port is an issue, but I know that can be remedied. I'm curious about the the mag release and safety. If you are shooting left handed with a right hand model are these difficult to operate?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I don't see any problem with the ejection port. I've got a really bad eye dominance problem so unless I've got my 'special' glasses that have the left lense blacked out, I'll shoot left handed and have no problem.

#3 ·
My buddy who is left handed picked up a left handed Stag....he shoots that now more then is BushMaster standard AR. He says it makes all the difference in the world and will never buy any but left handed again....but yet he won't sell me his bushmaster cauase he claims he still loves it.

#4 ·
I am right handed/left eyed dominant and shoot left handed. No problem with the AR: Use the Ambi safety and the mag release does not bother me, so I left that. I have looked at the LH version and have thought about it,but like my CMMG. Maybe the next time round...if there is a next time.

Woof
Bowser

#5 ·
I bought an Olympic right handed when I was 18, so I got used to shooting a right handed gun. When I bought my Sabre recently I passed up on the Stag in favor of the right handed gun. My reasoning for this is that I'm used to the right handed gun, I wanted to keep parts interchangeability and not be limited to only the left handed stuff for the Stag, and really the ejection port is a non issue because it has the deflecting block for the brass to keep it away from your face. The only left handed control I think I would want is the mag release, which I'm pretty sure I can find aftermarket to install, so I'm good with my right handed AR.

Nate

#6 ·
If I were you I would get a Stag. No sense in not fighting the way you were born. It will be more comfortable for you and you will enjoy it more.

#9 ·
+1 on reasons for staying with right-handed.

I also find that the PRI 'big latch' charging handle greatly reduces the crapitation factor when firing a suppressed RH AR southpaw.

I'm used to the right handed gun, I wanted to keep parts interchangeability and not be limited to only the left handed stuff for the Stag, and really the ejection port is a non issue because it has the deflecting block for the brass to keep it away from your face.

#11 ·
I'm a lefty and if I could $afford$ it, I would buy a LH Stag Arms. Let's look at it from another point of view....is the M16/AR15 right handed platform dangerous to the bare eyeballs of left handed shooters?

Over tens of thousands of rounds?...yes it is. There is always some high pressure gas/oil spraying from the carrier group...right out of the ejection port and into the eyes of us South Paws. Sad but true.

If the weapon system was totally harmless to us Lefties, then why was it designed for right handed people in the first place? Stag Arms understands this important fact and provides a real service to us Right Minded.

The rest of the operating controls don't really change any, except for perhaps an ambo safety, which is cool. Just learn to shoot an AR the normal way, then get a LH from Stag Arms. Enjoy. HB of CJ :) :) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.