Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a brand new XD40 4" on layaway. Should hopefully have it in a month or so. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to find a left handed paddle holster. I really like the black hawks but I have had an issue finding a decent one that is left handed. I was also wondering if any other left handers out there could tell me if you have had any issues operating the slide lock with their right thumb. I have considered upgrading the slide lock to one that sticks out a little more but I wanted to see how much trouble I had with it first. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from a lefty, Holsters are tough. I just ordered one to fit my needs.
I don't like the slide lock and thought about an upgrade but not that big of a deal.
If its just a XD and not a XDm you can call Springfield with the serial number and they will send you a lefty holster.
Good luck

·
Registered
195 Posts
The slide lock is plenty stiff on my own pistols as well. I just do the slingshot release, instead of using the slide lock. Some people want the ability to use both if needed, which I can't fault them. So shoot it up for a while to get some break in mojo on it. It may ease up enough not to bother you. If not, the after market slide stop is always an option. Don't spend the money if you don't need to.
The only paddle holster I have is the LH paddle from Springfield, that I called for. Just give them a call, and have your serial number handy. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the holster. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Personally, I'm a lefty and I called Springfield to send me the left-hand version of the paddle that comes with the gun, and I really like it. Put it on a good belt and it's as good as some $50 holsters.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I would disagree. I also am a lefty that got the SA holster, and it's ok for the range but for all day carry I would look around. My 4 inch XD-45 prints like mad in that SA holster, and retention is iffy unless you really crank down on the adjustment nut.

I feel your pain, I am also on a lefty holster search. I might go with the SERPA blackhawk, but need to wear it to be sure.

I am lucky in that ONE gun store in town has a lefty working there and so there actually is a few lefty holsters to be had, but like I said, they are the only ones that ever seem to have anything for us correct-handed folk.

I have been looking around in our 'marketplace" section here and have found a few leads, try there also.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Of course the Springfield paddle holster is going to print, it, and any other paddle holster hangs off your side. If you want some for concealed carry then you should look at something like a Crossbreed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would disagree. I also am a lefty that got the SA holster, and it's ok for the range but for all day carry I would look around. My 4 inch XD-45 prints like mad in that SA holster, and retention is iffy unless you really crank down on the adjustment nut.

I feel your pain, I am also on a lefty holster search. I might go with the SERPA blackhawk, but need to wear it to be sure.

I am lucky in that ONE gun store in town has a lefty working there and so there actually is a few lefty holsters to be had, but like I said, they are the only ones that ever seem to have anything for us correct-handed folk.

I have been looking around in our 'marketplace" section here and have found a few leads, try there also.
Yea I was looking at the Blackhawk SERPA myself, if you pick it up be sure to let me know how you like it. I believe you can pick it up on Amazon for about $30. Which is what I will most likely have to do, I took a drive down to Basspro last night and I couldn't find a single LH holster. Go Basspro! This quickly reminded me why I started buying guns from the local small business stores instead.

Reactions: Wilvis

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Talk about something that prints! That SERPA is big and thick. Yes, ANY OWB might print, but belt selection has a lot to do with that. "...unless you really crank down on the adjustment nut." Ah...isn't that what the nut is for?

If want to think about a OWB beltslide, look at Tagua. BTW, I carry my XD9SC in the Springfield bolster all day long with ny printing problems. You might want to consider buying larger shirts. BTW, most pringing statutes require the shape be identifiable as a gun.

You will learn not everyone can see the outline of your gun and not every movement flashes it.
You will learn not everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"
You will learn that the more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.
You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.
You will learn to not tug on the hem of your shirt every 5 minutes to assure yourself you're still concealed.
You will learn to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.
You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.
You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side.
You will learn to reach overhead with your weak-side hand.
You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.
You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.
You will learn to embrace low, to force your counterpart's arms/hands up, away from your piece.

In short, you will learn.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes sense, although I don't plan on carrying outside of my property and the range as its pretty hard to get a carry permit here (Conceled permit is pretty much out of the question) I keep telling myself though "Atleast I don't live in California".

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Is open carry legal there? If so, and you plan on carrying all day, get yourself a good leather beltslide with a thumb break.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is open carry legal there? If so, and you plan on carrying all day, get yourself a good leather beltslide with a thumb break.
I'm in MD, open carry is only legal with an open carry permit. To obtain one you have to have the obvious clean record and all that but you always have to be able to prove to the state police that you actually need it and not just want it. In other words if your carrying around large sums of money for your job, etc. To be honest MD is such a blue state even if I got one I doubt i'd actually be able to take it anywhere with out being told to leave.

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
Welcome to XD from another lefty! I have a Kholster IWB holster I'll finally be able to use. Just took delivery of my new XD 40 in OD green with the V10 porting tonight. I'll update my thread, and post pics in a minute here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, definitly post the pics. I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another XD lefty here. I have three XD's (a 9SC, a 9 service and a 45), one XDm40 and an XDm9 on the way. GREAT guns. I daily carry EVERY day with the lefty paddle holster SA sent when I called them. It's light, thin, retention is good, and I even compete in USPSA production with it. My only complaint is that the retention screw will back out over time so I have to re-torque it every couple of weeks. Not sure why.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think i'm going to contact SA for that left handed paddle holster like you mentioned and if I don't like it go pick up a Black Hawk. I heard someone mention the SA holster ended up scratching their gun but i'm still trying to figure out the logic behind a plastic holster putting a scratch on a metal slide. Does SA send the holster to you for free?

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I was also wondering if any other left handers out there could tell me if you have had any issues operating the slide lock with their right thumb.
Do you mean using your right thumb on the slide stop lever to drop the slide? It seems needlessly awkward, and easy to fumble under pressure. I was trained to release the slide by racking it. Lots of threads here debating the issue.

If you mean using your right thumb to lock the slide, that requires switching hands, which is also fumble-prone and not recommended. I grab the slide as if to rack it, but in front of the ejection port rather than behind it, and use a right-hand finger to pull the lever up. You can also shift your grip and push the lever up with your left index finger, but I never got the hang of doing it that way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you mean using your right thumb on the slide stop lever to drop the slide? It seems needlessly awkward, and easy to fumble under pressure. I was trained to release the slide by racking it. Lots of threads here debating the issue.

If you mean using your right thumb to lock the slide, that requires switching hands, which is also fumble-prone and not recommended. I grab the slide as if to rack it, but in front of the ejection port rather than behind it, and use a right-hand finger to pull the lever up. You can also shift your grip and push the lever up with your left index finger, but I never got the hang of doing it that way.
That's exactly what I mean. It's always felt akward passing it to my right hand then trying to keep the lock up with right thumb while racking it back with my left and no part of that motion feels natural. I'll have to try it your way. Thanks for the idea. I think it's really cool all of the leftys have come here to swap ideas on how they handle a mostly right handed pistol. We should get our own forum section :)

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I think i'm going to contact SA for that left handed paddle holster like you mentioned and if I don't like it go pick up a Black Hawk. I heard someone mention the SA holster ended up scratching their gun but i'm still trying to figure out the logic behind a plastic holster putting a scratch on a metal slide. Does SA send the holster to you for free?
Yes...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts