Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I've shot well but not great. I'm starting to think it has something to do with being left eye dominant but right handed. I also have been mostly ambidextrous all my life I can do most things left handed very well.

When I shoot lefty I can shoot more accurate but much much less consistently and much less comfortably. (my normal spotter thinks I'm lucky) When I shoot right I'm more consistent but always high-left mostly left.

Does any one have any suggestions on how I might be able to improve? I feel like I've hit a wall. HELP!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Start at page 1 of the training section and read the posts about LE/RH. There is also a target with orange peel sections of what you might be doing wrong.
Grip and stance come at the top of things that effect hits.

·
Premium Member
127,282 Posts
Start at page 1 of the training section and read the posts about LE/RH. There is also a target with orange peel sections of what you might be doing wrong.
Grip and stance come at the top of things that effect hits.

Words of wisdom!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Lately, I've shot well but not great. I'm starting to think it has something to do with being left eye dominant but right handed. I also have been mostly ambidextrous all my life I can do most things left handed very well.

When I shoot lefty I can shoot more accurate but much much less consistently and much less comfortably. (my normal spotter thinks I'm lucky) When I shoot right I'm more consistent but always high-left mostly left.

Does any one have any suggestions on how I might be able to improve? I feel like I've hit a wall. HELP!!!!
I am the same way, I actually can only close my right eye, and it feels weird trying to aim with both eyes open. Would like to learn to shoot with both eyes open though. I noticed all of my shots going about an 1/2 to an inch left, so what I did is instead of having my front site dead center I have it just off the right rear site. I know this porbably isn't the best fix, but I shoot dead on this way. I didn't have a problem with it shooting high though, it was at height of POA, just a little left. I used to have a problem shooting low left, but I figured out quickly that this was caused by me anticipating

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
NAS234, do you shoot with one eye open or both eyes open?

If you close one eye, try shooting with both eyes open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone thanks for the help... Haven't been able to put any real decent time at the range cause of weather and work but I'll keep you posted. Been doing alot of dry fire training and working on the grip and trigger pull hopefully it will help.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The trick to shooting cross dominate is to drive your chin into your strong side arm, keep both eyes open and all the same rules as to front sight focus still apply. The driving into the arm allows your draw to be the same as anyone else not cross dominate. The only thing you are changing is your rotating your head as your presenting.

If you keep your draw the same then you will align through muscle memory and then you can get fast multiple combat hits. One inch groups are for target practice. Multiple fast combat hits are for survivors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI...I've been told in training that 50% of women and 30% of men are left eye / right hand dominate; I'm in that 30%. Hope that make you feel better! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts