Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats going on everyone.

Ok before my question, let me just say that I am bran new to reloading so don't laugh horribly at me for making a rediculously simple mistake. :D

Also a couple of fact's so that everyone understands where I am at, so you all can give me good information in return.

I have the stage III Lee Progressive 1000 setup, it came with pretty much everything.

Anyways, stated in my Lee Modern Reloading book along with the instruction charts, I am suppose to [start] charging at 5.9 grains and [maximum] is 6.6 grains.

That is for my 40, and my 145 grain lead bullets. Starting at 5.9 grains is fine with me, no problem there, and do not wish or even care to go above or below for this is not my question.

It says in the book and manual (everywhere), to use the Auto Disk #.49 which is to equal 5.9 grains. However, when weighing the charges individualy about a million different times, I didn't see anything near it. Charges were all from 4.7 - 4.9 grains, so either I am missing something, or my bran new scale is broken. It is also a Lee, and I have zero-ed it out between weighing sessions, and I have tried walking around my house with a level making sure it was on a flat surface.

So other than that I don't know what I am suppose to do, I also meassured several other's on the Auto Disk, they were also incorrect. I just don't see what I am doing wrong. It says the #.49 from the Auto Disk is suppose to be 5.9 grains. I know the book isn't wrong, so what do I need to do everyone?

Any help would be great as soon as possible, I am actualy doing this as we speak so if anyone can IM me that would be even better, thanks guys..

mike

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
if the scale is rated that high, you can double check weights by weighing a few of your bullets.

Now as for the disk not dispensing properly, that is kind of a guide, but it can vary depending on how finely ground the powder is when it comes from the factory which is why you always charge a dozen or so test cases to find out just how much it is actually dispensing. You can then adjust up/down on the bore size to use (on the disk). I found when I was loading Unique I had to go to a larger bore than the one stated on their calcs and when using win 231, I had to go smaller. The calc's in the manual may get you close, but like Reagan said... "Trust, but verify" Just write down your setup in your log when you find the bore size that works.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It says in the book and manual (everywhere) said:
It depends on the powder. I'm using 231 and a 4.6g charge uses a .43 disk (measured in cubic centimeters I believe). The Lee powder measure uses volumetric measurement vs weight, so the different densities in powder can change everything.

So Disk #.49 MIGHT equal 5.9g and it MIGHT NOT. .49cc of 231 is going to weigh in differently from .49cc of Unique, etc...Not all powders are created equal.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
When i used to use Lees, i found the variance from the VMd disk to be off +/- 10% from their stated measure. This has to do with batch to batch variance in powder, etc.

Always measure the powder when starting a new load and write it down.... I used to put a sticky on the powder dispenser so i knew what what being dispensed and how much.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, sorry I didn't even put the name of the powder in my post. I am using Accurate's #2.

Also, just to add a little extra weirdness to the day, I remember for some reason off the top of my head a nickel weighing 5 grams. (?)

So I zero-ed out on a level surface, four consecutive (#.49) weight results which were consistantly 4.8 grains. Exactly 1 grain below what the Auto Disk "should" be dispensing.

Then I weighed a nickel using the data on page 100 of the Modern Reloading book, 15.432 grains per gram.

Nickel being 5 grams.

5 grams X 15.432(per gram) = 77.16 grains.

You will never believe what my scale read...

76.1 I am actualy happy though, though something is wrong with the hole picture, but it's not the amount of powder coming from my Auto Disk, right?

It's the scale, correct?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that the Auto Disk's measurment are in volume/cubic centimeters. However it does say that the .49 chamber in the Auto Disk will weigh out at 5.8 grains.

My scale is reading 1 grain less to the dot on ALL of the chambers. (Lee Safety Powder Scale)

Also, the scale will only weigh out to 109.9 grains, so I can't test* measure anything higher, ideas or solutions anyone?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Use an asprin tablet to check your scale. An asprin weighs 5 grains. My auto disc throws light charges too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check it Rob, I knew I was right! Your still alot closer than I though, lol. :D

This is a quote from the biography, I'll post the link as well...
"The bronze cent comes next authorized April 22, 1864, weight forty-eight grains. Two cent bronze, act of April 22, 1864, weight ninety-six grains, discontinued in 1873. Three cent nickle, act of Marcll 3, 1863, weight thirty grains, discontinued 1873. Five cent nickle, act of May 16, 1866, weight seventy-seven and sixteen hundredths grains, coinage commenced in 1866. This is a short sketch of all the coins except the silver and gold issues of the United States."
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/cloud/1903/wilkesgh.shtml

It's not that long, intresting history though of the penny and nickel.

So the nickle weighs 5 grams then.

5 grams equals 77.16 grains.
(5 grams x 15.432 grains per gram)

I weigh the nickel at 76.1 grains. Exactly one grain under. When I weigh the #.49 from my Disk, I only get 4.8 grains instead of the 5.8 grains it states that I should receive *when using Accurate's # 2 powder.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Penny 39.1 grains
nickle 01 76.7 80 76.4 99 76 Obviously nickle very allot :shock:
quarter 84 +86.0 05 Cali 88.5
155 speer =155
Screw that change = weight thing Looks like china make all those Quality isn't what it use to be :roll:
Once agian set scale to 0 empty then trust it not the tolerance some hole some dam machine drilled

1 - 10 of 10 Posts