Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to start reloading this weekend, but I have a couple of questions. I have a Lee turret press, but was wondering if I need this black thing to start:

What is that and what does it do?

I just received some brass from a guy on the board. My next question is if I need to do anything before cleaning it. It is all pretty dirty and I just stuck about 100rds in my tumbler.

I am planning on swinging by Gander Mtn tomorrow and was hoping to get some suggestions on what powder and primers to get. I am reloading for 45 auto. Thanks for any help and suggestions!

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the primer feed. Puts a primer on the seating pin when the ram is raised. Mine works really well.
Do the hand held ones work pretty good too? I don't plan on loading a whole bunch of ammo at once, so I could probably pick up a hand held at Gander Mountain.

Since I only have the brass, which is being tumbled right now, what else do I need? Powder, primers, etc?

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is the Lee Safety Primer thing. My Lee Classic Turret came with it. I like it, works good. The black one is for small primers and the white one is for large primers, like the .45 use.

Sometimes I add some nu finish car polish to the tumbler media, so the brass come out nice and shiny.

For primers, I use CCI or Winchester. Lee recommends against using Federal primers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For powders, I think most people use Bullseye, Unique, Clays, 231. I just loaded some .45acp for the first time today. I used Power Pistol and v-N340. They seemed to work ok....went bang when I pulled the trigger. :p

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I need a digital scale, or will the scale that came with it work good enough?

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Do I need a digital scale, or will the scale that came with it work good enough?
My god man you need to put down any reloading stuff in your hand and start reading about reloading before you hurt yourself and kaboom a gun. I hate to be harsh, but I cant believe I am the first one to say this. I am not trying to be rude, but with these questions you have a lot of learning to do before you even pull the handle on the press.

Now on to your questions. You do not "need" a digital scale, but if you do get one make sure it measures in grains. The powder plates or whatever they are called work well, but you need to make sure that you weigh a few drops everytime you change powder or start cranking again with them. I have had good luck with them as is. The lee scale is not bad, it works but can take some getting used to when you have to zero it and what not. As far as primers I like cci. Start with a medium burn rate powder nothing too fast. Make sure you have a set of digital calipers. They can be obtained on the cheap side from harbor freight for around $15.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My god man you need to put down any reloading stuff in your hand and start reading about reloading before you hurt yourself and kaboom a gun. I hate to be harsh, but I cant believe I am the first one to say this. I am not trying to be rude, but with these questions you have a lot of learning to do before you even pull the handle on the press.

Thanks for that helpful bit of input. I just have a hard time comprehending why people enjoy thread crapping so much!

I asked if the scale that came with the Lee turret will be good enough compared to a digital scale. It is a simple question that you apparently do not have an answer for.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Thanks for that helpful bit of input. I just have a hard time comprehending why people enjoy thread crapping so much!
First its not thread crapping. Reloading isnt a game it is serious. If you dont take the time to learn how to reload your safety is in jeopardy. If you want to just jump into it with not knowing why you should or shouldnt do something it is up to you. Read my post I did answer your question.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now on to your questions. You do not "need" a digital scale, but if you do get one make sure it measures in grains. The powder plates or whatever they are called work well, but you need to make sure that you weigh a few drops everytime you change powder or start cranking again with them. I have had good luck with them as is. The lee scale is not bad, it works but can take some getting used to when you have to zero it and what not. As far as primers I like cci. Start with a medium burn rate powder nothing too fast. Make sure you have a set of digital calipers. They can be obtained on the cheap side from harbor freight for around $15.
I see that you have decided to add some answers to my questions. Why not just do that to start with?:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First its not thread crapping. Reloading isnt a game it is serious. If you dont take the time to learn how to reload your safety is in jeopardy. If you want to just jump into it with not knowing why you should or shouldnt do something it is up to you. Read my post I did answer your question.

You came back and edited your first post. I am not an idiot.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Yes. I went back to answer your original questions before you posted a response, because I did not have your questions quoted. Good luck to you I am done answering your questions if you want to be an ass.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. I went back to answer your original questions before you posted a response, because I did not have your questions quoted. Good luck to you I am done answering your questions if you want to be an ass.

Since I never asked for someone to come crap on my thread, there's the door>>>!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Digital scales are nice to have, but they are not required. The Lee scale that came with your press is actually pretty accurate. It's just frustrating as heck to use. I ended up buying an RCBS 505 balance scale off Ebay. MUCH easier to use.

As stated already, get yourself a few books before you start. I recommend "The ABC's of Reloading" to cover the basics of reloading and Lee's own "Modern Reloading", 2nd edition for recipes. Digital calipers are a must. A kinetic bullet puller is nice to have.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
Since I never asked for someone to come crap on my thread, there's the door>>>!
I think speed was originally just trying to help you out with a bit of good advice. I just started reloading myself and I have the equipment still boxed up and a stack of three books I intend to read before I even setup a single press. I'm not crapping on you either but when it comes to reloading a bad load or just few grains off and your hands/face are getting pieces of hot metal inserted painfully. 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts