Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reloading on my Lee loadmaster for a few months now... I run about 500 rounds a month but that is going up as I shoot more...

I'm starting this thread exclusively for actual loadmaster owners or potential owners to share info...

any useless/negative info that is not helpful I will ask a mod to edit/delete...

this is not for bashing the LM... start your own post if you want to do that...

I've found that to really appreciate how your loadmaster works, you have to be able to disassemble it down to the bare parts and then put it back and lube it a bit...

I once had an issue with the indexing rod not working then realized that the shell plate holder part of the ram was off by a few mm and was keeping the indexer from functioning, a quick twist in the right direction fixed it...

if you have legitimate questions or need help making your LM work post here and I (or one of the other owners) will try to help...

the LM is not a piece of crap/door stop/ paperweight/etc in the right hands, it also is not designed for 600rds/hr... 250-350 rds/per hour is easily doable but not much more in my experience...

please keep this factual and helpful...

I'm happy to share tips to those that may be just starting to figure out how it works...

TIPS

1. use sizing in station 2 and a universal decapper in 1. it will make for consistent priming

2. use a LED light with a flexible neck aimed into station 4 to check each case for powder before bullet seating

3. avoid the bullet feeder (it bypasses tip #2 and doesn't work anyway)

4. the case feeder works (except for rifle) and may just need adjustments.., for .45acp, you have to drill your own hole to make it work

5. have an extra chain for the powder drop (you know how I found out)

6. have extra decapper pins for when you decide to try brute force --- alternatively loosen the universal capper nut that holds the pin and it should slide up if you encounter a crimped/berdan primed case

7. even though the carbide dies don't need it, I find I exert less physical effort if I lube my cases. I use one shot spray lube

8. the casefeeder collator works well for .45acp. for 9mm, buy a small bolt with a 1/4 inch washer and it will limit inverted cases. if you encounter an inverted case, just knock it out when it gets fed by the feeding arm (I have a small pick to do this)...

9. I personally don't bother using an oil can to lube the ram.. I bought some garage door opener oil spray (other oil spray probably works) and I just squirt a bit to the top and bottom of the ram at the start of the session and wipe it clean after the session.

I'lll add to this as I remember more tips.... or somebody adds one that is helpful...

feel free to post here or PM me if you have some issues you would like help in resolving...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've never seen or loaded on a Lee LM, but after reading your post, thought I'd research it a little bit.

I just watched one of Gavin's videos on it (ultimatereloader.com). It looks like a really cool machine.

I have a couple questions. It appeared that it was priming on the downstroke. Is this true? Also, how many cases will that case feeder tube hold. It looked like it had 4 tubes which would equate to quite a bit of cases. Last thing is will it really only load 250 rounds an hour. Looks more like it would do 500 easy?

Oh ya, and much does the machine cost?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
HAHA I am not a current owner and don't plan on it!!!!

Come on you where asking for that... You know this is an open forum right?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
HAHA I am not a current owner and don't plan on it!!!!

Come on you where asking for that... You know this is an open forum right?
Be nice, I didn't reply to respect his sensativity to Lee products. OOPs, there I go, sorry.:oops:
Hey, if it works for you, great, good machine for you, hopefully you can help others struggling w/ theirs. I would prefer the LCT for only 200rds/hr though, simpler & cheaper.;)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Be nice, I didn't reply to respect his sensativity to Lee products. OOPs, there I go, sorry.:oops:
Hey, if it works for you, great, good machine for you, hopefully you can help others struggling w/ theirs. I would prefer the LCT for only 200rds/hr though, simpler & cheaper.;)
OOO None of that!! You Can't disagree with what the OP says!!! Blaspheme!! O what WILL we do!?!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never seen or loaded on a Lee LM, but after reading your post, thought I'd research it a little bit.

I just watched one of Gavin's videos on it (ultimatereloader.com). It looks like a really cool machine.

I have a couple questions. It appeared that it was priming on the downstroke. Is this true? it does prime on the down stroke and performs all functions on the down stroke, the only thing that occurs on the upstroke is auto indexing. people complain this makes priming problematic... nevery really had an issue... 1 primer misfeed in over 2K rounds... and that was because my shell plate holder was inadvertently rotated out of alignment by my tinkering..

Also, how many cases will that case feeder tube hold. it averages to 25 per tube, so 100 per load more or less

Last thing is will it really only load 250 rounds an hour. Looks more like it would do 500 easy? when I count my load for an hour I factor in the time to refill the case tube (a minute or so), time to refill the primer tray (1-2 minutes -- less if you are really in a hurry)

10 seconds per round = 360 per hour... and I look at each single case before putting in a bullet to make sure it's not a squib... you could probably push things beyond that, but I'm not loading a lot and I want to make sure I don't mess anything up...

then there's the occasional flipped case in the feeder that takes 5-10 seconds to fix...

Oh ya, and much does the machine cost? about 230$ to start, but it can add up if you add more calibers... for 220+ shipping you pretty much get everything needed for one caliber... including dies, but you would have a better set up if you add the universal decapper (10$), lee factory crimp (optional 12$), and I personally added the double disk (or some use the charge bar) 12$, --- so figure 250$ for the usual setup for one caliber
do realize this is not a dillon and never will be and never was meant to be... it works for the casual reloader and not for competitive shooters who shoot a bucket a day, and if you are in a hurry and need to produce a few thousand rounds a day, then this is not the right one for you...

for the average guy that shoots 200-300 rounds a week or so, this works... I usually reload the night before I go shoot and produce about 200-300 rounds at a time...

people always look at rounds per hour like they have to churn 1K all day long... (some really do and that's good for them)... I'm not like that and this is why it works for me...

------

I guess I have to say this to keep things in perpective...

I decided to buy the LEE LM because it was a challenge... I don't like things that are boring and perfect... I reload for the experience and the fun of reloading, not simply to save money but so I can shoot bullets that go where I want to... I was willing to lose money on the LM if I could not make it work... as it turns out, I can and it does work if you learn how to use it... for those too busy with other things, please buy something else...

I started this post to help those who want to know how to make the LM work because it does and it can... if you don't plan to own or no longer own an LM, start your own thread...

I make 100$/hour, so I lose money if I paid myself to reload... I can afford a Dillon and several of them all fully decked out if I wanted to... I chose not to for now because the Lee works just fine for me... when I start shooting 1K a week I will get another machine for each caliber... a dillon or LNL will likely be next... so all the Lee LM haters, stay out of this thread... this is not about you... :arrow:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I make 100$/hour, so I lose money if I paid myself to reload... I can afford a Dillon and several of them all fully decked out if I wanted to... I chose not to for now because the Lee works just fine for me... when I start shooting 1K a week I will get another machine for each caliber... a dillon or LNL will likely be next... so all the Lee LM haters, stay out of this thread... this is not about you... :arrow:
Ok, now your cred is slipping. If you make $100/hr & make that statement, then the LM was the wrong press for you. SO it doesn't pay to reload but does pay to tinker w/ a piece of gear to get it to work the way you want? Man I am confused. Going to a higher end machine, say a 650, you can easily reload 600rds/hr sustained, closer to 700rds/hr. So you save 1/2 on cheap factory vs reloading. That is $60/hr min. So unless you are making your $100/hr under the table, you have to make @ least $100 gross to net the $60 you would save reloading on a higher end machine, closer to $110. Therefore NOT losing money reloading. Yes, at 250rds/hr, you have ground to make up, but that is one of the reasons guys don't fuss w/ lesser equip, as you well know, time is money to many of us. You obviously can afford the better gear & if your time i sall that caluable, then I would think you would want to save as much of it as possible. If I were retired & had nothing to do all day, then I would just reload on a ss press & be happy w/ 75ds/hr.
BTW, you can NOT order people on a public forum to stay out of your thread. You may request but as you see, it only gets guys to respond. Buck up man, free country & all that.;) It's called opinions, we all have one, many of us based on lots & lots of expereince, so take it for what it's worth & stop getting your feelings all hurt & junk.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I've been reloading on my Lee loadmaster for a few months now... I run about 500 rounds a month but that is going up as I shoot more...

I'm starting this thread exclusively for actual loadmaster owners or potential owners to share info...

any useless/negative info that is not helpful I will ask a mod to edit/delete...

this is not for bashing the LM... start your own post if you want to do that...

I've found that to really appreciate how your loadmaster works, you have to be able to disassemble it down to the bare parts and then put it back and lube it a bit...

I once had an issue with the indexing rod not working then realized that the shell plate holder part of the ram was off by a few mm and was keeping the indexer from functioning, a quick twist in the right direction fixed it...

if you have legitimate questions or need help making your LM work post here and I (or one of the other owners) will try to help...

the LM is not a piece of crap/door stop/ paperweight/etc in the right hands, it also is not designed for 600rds/hr... 250-350 rds/per hour is easily doable but not much more in my experience...

please keep this factual and helpful...

I'm happy to share tips to those that may be just starting to figure out how it works...

TIPS

1. use sizing in station 2 and a universal decapper in 1. it will make for consistent priming

2. use a LED light with a flexible neck aimed into station 4 to check each case for powder before bullet seating

3. avoid the bullet feeder (it bypasses tip #2 and doesn't work anyway)

4. the case feeder works (except for rifle) and may just need adjustments.., for .45acp, you have to drill your own hole to make it work

5. have an extra chain for the powder drop (you know how I found out)

6. have extra decapper pins for when you decide to try brute force --- alternatively loosen the universal capper nut that holds the pin and it should slide up if you encounter a crimped/berdan primed case

7. even though the carbide dies don't need it, I find I exert less physical effort if I lube my cases. I use one shot spray lube

8. the casefeeder collator works well for .45acp. for 9mm, buy a small bolt with a 1/4 inch washer and it will limit inverted cases. if you encounter an inverted case, just knock it out when it gets fed by the feeding arm (I have a small pick to do this)...

9. I personally don't bother using an oil can to lube the ram.. I bought some garage door opener oil spray (other oil spray probably works) and I just squirt a bit to the top and bottom of the ram at the start of the session and wipe it clean after the session.

I'lll add to this as I remember more tips.... or somebody adds one that is helpful...

feel free to post here or PM me if you have some issues you would like help in resolving...
You have a good idea but as you can see it won't work here!

Go here for the same thing you are trying to do.

The Load Master Zone - reloading with Lee presses - videos and forums

don

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a good idea but as you can see it won't work here!

Go here for the same thing you are trying to do.

The Load Master Zone - reloading with Lee presses - videos and forums

doon
Thanks for the link. Already aware it. But its a good place to start and i learned a bit there.

Just trying to help out. Dont really mind the bashing as much.

Still a free country. I respect all opinions, good or bad. I'm going to let this post run its course, it only makes the haters look like silly bullys when they trash somebody trying to help. Thats what the ignore list is for.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a Loadmaster, so it can be done. (But I found it to be pretty tedious)

Like some other Loadmaster owners, I disabled the casefeeder and just manually inserted the cases, using the tubes and the case slide.

Also found it more productive to just hand-prime. If you're going to load bottlenecks on a Loadmaster, be sure and check for shoulder bump with a good case gage, such as the Wilson. I found that the design of the shellplate precluded proper bumping of .223 shoulders.

I'm pretty mechanically-inclined. Have done almost all work on my firearms and vehicles for my entire adult life.

Best advice for a potential Loadmaster owner, in my humble opinion, would be to invest heavily in Valium, prior to purchase. :cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As you stated its doable.

The only thing is if you are a high volume reloader probably best to get a different machine.

The case feeder works fine for me with pistol rounds. Rifle is a different story. Just needs adjusting. But its 20 dollars vs 200+ for the electric feeders.

I load mostly 9 and 45

Priming so far has been fine. One sideways primer in 2k rds

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok, now your cred is slipping. If you make $100/hr & make that statement, then the LM was the wrong press for you. SO it doesn't pay to reload but does pay to tinker w/ a piece of gear to get it to work the way you want? Man I am confused. Going to a higher end machine, say a 650, you can easily reload 600rds/hr sustained, closer to 700rds/hr. So you save 1/2 on cheap factory vs reloading. That is $60/hr min. So unless you are making your $100/hr under the table, you have to make @ least $100 gross to net the $60 you would save reloading on a higher end machine, closer to $110. Therefore NOT losing money reloading. Yes, at 250rds/hr, you have ground to make up, but that is one of the reasons guys don't fuss w/ lesser equip, as you well know, time is money to many of us. You obviously can afford the better gear & if your time i sall that caluable, then I would think you would want to save as much of it as possible. If I were retired & had nothing to do all day, then I would just reload on a ss press & be happy w/ 75ds/hr.
BTW, you can NOT order people on a public forum to stay out of your thread. You may request but as you see, it only gets guys to respond. Buck up man, free country & all that.;) It's called opinions, we all have one, many of us based on lots & lots of expereince, so take it for what it's worth & stop getting your feelings all hurt & junk.
^^well said fredj338...pretty sure this is similar to a public place and you have no right to a reasonable expectation of privacy on here...lmao!

OP - fredj338 is right on the money, you tell ppl on here not to do something or that they can't and you can bet they will! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife gave me a LM .38/.357 kit for Fathers Day . :)

I watched a bunch of videos and read a lot , before I received it .

I had problems at first . Steep learning curve for me .

I am currently using the second generation primer system , and after about 50 rounds to break it in , it is running pretty good .

Most of my problems are self inflicted . The biggest percentage due to not adequately sorting brass before I put it in the collator .

I still try to take it fairly slowly & carefully . 100 - 200 rounds per hour is easily accomplished . More if you hurried up . But I have no great desire to hurry up . I am astonished at the amount of loaded ammo that accumulates , at my present pace .

I am glad to have it . It is tempting to get another, stripped down LM & set it up for a different caliber .

Oh , another tip , pay close attention to the de-priming rod . If it gets pushed up , STOP RIGHT THEN ! Figure out what is wrong and correct it .

God bless
Wyr

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I have LM use it only for rifle rounds and do the priming by hand. Haven't really had a chance to try the priming on it but I don't like the down stroke priming I can't feel the primer seating.

For pistol and rifle my pro1000 is faster.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
only thing with the new primer system is if you manually move the primer slider/arm to test it, you will be dropping primers into the waste bin..

the problem with the old arm was that the slider would pull the primer back with it when the arm was activated manually and sometimes that caused things to bind...

so the fix actually works for those that had issues, but it also can waste some primers if you "play with it"

I had some problems with one of my older arms and Lee sent me a new one for free...

@Wyr -- no need to really have a 2nd unit unless you are high volume reloader, caliber changes are easy with spare turrets...

the hardest part is switching the case feeder, but even that is just a few minutes...

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
LM is setup for rifle, Pro100 for pistol both with turrets for each caliber, and shell plates. For rifle I don't use case feeder. I'm sure I have the old primer system in my LM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
XDM9CWA

I am in the same boat as you, sort of. I chose the Lee Loadmaster because I am a bit of a contrarian, all of my shooting buddies told me to buy a Dillon so I immediately chose a Lee!

I love to tinker and I have disassembled this thing several times. I made an extender for the powder safety chain to move it away from the lock bolt. I made a vibrator to to get more consistent powder drops, and I set up a factory crimp die with a bullet seat stem in it in an effort to get a better COL. In the end I ended up with rounds that were 80% within .001 COL and 90% within 11fps.

In the end however I just could not stomach the priming system. The Loadmaster works nearly perfectly with 45acp, and using the gen 3 primer system I loaded 300 with 100% priming. 9mm on the other hand was a different story. I had a 6% failure rate with the gen 1 primer system and ended up with nearly 20% failures with the gen 3b system. I had 2 primer explosions with 9mm using the gen 2 and gen 3 primer systems.

I now have a little blue press sitting where the Loadmaster used to be. I will miss the automated case feeder, I don't think the blue press can match the potential of the Loadmaster, but for me the loadmaster never lived up to it's potential.

I am disappointed in the Loadmaster, but I may keep it to load 45acp exclusively. Mostly because I am afraid that they will come out with a gen 4 primer system that fixes the small primer issue.

Craig

ps. A better solution to the 9mm cases through the collator is to drill a 1/4" hole through the center of a penny, shove a spent 22 case through it and drop it into the center of the collator. You should get about 95% or better upright cases.

for the average guy that shoots 200-300 rounds a week or so, this works... I usually reload the night before I go shoot and produce about 200-300 rounds at a time...

I guess I have to say this to keep things in perpective...

I decided to buy the LEE LM because it was a challenge... I don't like things that are boring and perfect... I reload for the experience and the fun of reloading, not simply to save money but so I can shoot bullets that go where I want to... I was willing to lose money on the LM if I could not make it work... as it turns out, I can and it does work if you learn how to use it... for those too busy with other things, please buy something else...

I started this post to help those who want to know how to make the LM work because it does and it can... if you don't plan to own or no longer own an LM, start your own thread...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I'm getting in really late on this but I'm a newer member. Normally I don't bash people or things in any of the forums I belong to but in this case I'm compelled to "unload".

It's just too bad that there isn't an enforceable age restriction. The person that started this thread requested that there be no LM bashing but somebody just had to start crying & whining and infusing his negative point of view.

Personally I load with a Lee Loadmaster. And yes, part of my reason for purchasing a LM was the difference in price between it an d a Dillon.

I have had a few minor issues in the beginning and did some research on the net to locate info and fixes for "all" my problems and now my LM and I crank out both pistol & rifle loads when every I have time & money to pull the handle.

I know that I will be opening the door to my own personal reticule, but children really should be see and not heard on any and all blogs & forums.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a LEE Loadmaster that I added the bullet feeder on. The problem I'm having is if I load the tube with bullets, doesn't matter how many 2 or more, they will eventually just all drop out on the floor. Anyone else encountered this and how did you fix the problem? Using copper jacketed RN 9mm 125g Berry Bullets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts