Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
40367 - Deluxe Turret Press with Auto Index Reloading Kit Four Hole Turret and Auto Index Warranty

Hi guys I was going to start piecing together a reloading setup. I was wondering if anyone had bought this set, or has used the components it comes with.

Would it even be worth buying this set, or would it be better to just piece together something.

I as looking for honest reviews of the parts. And was looking for anything else I should buy to get going. I will be reloading .40 S&W and .223. I have the dies selected, and the powder.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have that press and its been a very good one. The scale sucks rocks, but other than that, it a fine beginning point. Lots bash Lee stuff, but I have had no issues at all with anything Lee to date. Their CS is top notch should you need it. (I had a die set that had the wrong caliber resizer in it. One quick email for instructions and I had the die swapped out in less than a week by mail.:cool: ) I loaded lots of rifle and pistol rounds with that press. I now only use it for rifle as I went progressive for pistol.

For .223 loading, you will be needing the double disc set for the powder drop. If I were you, I'd get the Pro upgrade kit for the powder drop as well. Its only 20 clams or so, but it makes a large difference in the ease of operation. I upgraded mine and was kicking myself for waiting two years to do it.:rolleyes: It is THAT much better.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I read the scale is bad, I was also wondering are their dies out their that don't require lube, like carbide ones?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yeah I read the scale is bad, I was also wondering are their dies out their that don't require lube, like carbide ones?
I only use carbide for pistol and no lube is needed. For rifle, I always use lube, regardless of type. Hornady Unique is a very good one as is One shot. Rifle cases, unless straight walled cases, will be needing some lubrication.

I started loading .223 with that press. I also used a lot of military brass. I got an extra turret and put a Universal decapper in it for decapping the brass. Then I could do all the other steps including crimp removal without having to interrupt the loading process. I also use a Lee Auto Prime to prime instead of the press. That simplified the operation even more as some of the Lee priming systems are a bit finicky.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so i could get a set for my .40 S&W. Also do you guys recommend any manuals, I have 2 for each caliber right now, but of course I want more.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have two manuals, Lee and Hornady, and also use the caliber specific Load Books. That gets me by pretty well. I use the Load Books more than anything, though. I would like to get a Lyman manual one day as well.

FWIW, I'm using Lee Pacesetter dies for .223, .30-30, .30-06 and .308 and Lee Carbides for 9mm and .45acp.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I had the lee and Hornady as well. As long as two load books for those two calibers. Now one quick question, my AFR-15 handles 5.56, so can I load the .223 to that powder tolerance. I could look it up but im writing a paper lol.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
OK so i could get a set for my .40 S&W. Also do you guys recommend any manuals, I have 2 for each caliber right now, but of course I want more.
The Lee Kit form Kempf is a better deal as I think they don't have the cheapLee scale. Get the Dillon beam scale, best beam scale for the money you can get. The Lee carbide dies are decent, always go carbide. The turret press is also a pretty good piece of kit. The fixed bushing powder measure is a PITA for faster pistol powders, an adjustable measure would be more user friendly. I am not a big fan of most Lee gear, but if I was going on the chaep, the LCT is a better bet than either of their progressives IMO.
Manuals, you can NEVER have enough ref mat'l. The Lee manual, again, falls short compared to others. Too vague, not enough critical info like bullet type/manuf, critical to OAL, many powders left out. The Lyman#49 & Speer #14 are good ones to have, load books is also good. Cross ref w/ powder manuf websites. Reloading is NOT plug & play. Diff bullets are loaded to diff specs. So pay attention to what the data is given & match the components as closely as possible. A plated bullet is not a jacketed bullet is not a lead bullet, RN is not the same as TC is not the same as JHP, they all load w/ diff data.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You can, just be sure to work it up slowly and use the right brass...meaning military brass. The higher pressures can do a number on the civilian brass, esp FC. Case failure can be a pain. I load for the sweet spot on my rifle, not some predetermined pressure.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The Lee Kit form Kempf is a better deal as I think they don't have the cheapLee scale. Get the Dillon beam scale, best beam scale for the money you can get. The Lee carbide dies are decent, the turret press is also a pretty good piece of kit. The fixed bushing powder measure is a PITA for faster pistol powders, an adjustable measure would be more user friendly. I am not a big fan of most Lee gear, but if I was going on the chaep, the LCT is a better bet than either of their progressives IMO.

Dillon would be a good one to have. I use a RCBS 5-10 that is maybe 30 years old. Works like a champ, too. The powder measure is pretty tough on owrking up rifle loads by 1/10's as well. I went to a RCBS Uni-flow on the turret for rifle loads a long time ago and never looked back.:cool:

Fred, I know you don't like the Lee progressives, but I have never ever had a lick of trouble with my Load Master once it was set up. Maybe I got a lemon, dunno.;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Dillon would be a good one to have. I use a RCBS 5-10 that is maybe 30 years old. Works like a champ, too. The powder measure is pretty tough on owrking up rifle loads by 1/10's as well. I went to a RCBS Uni-flow on the turret for rifle loads a long time ago and never looked back.:cool:

Fred, I know you don't like the Lee progressives, but I have never ever had a lick of trouble with my Load Master once it was set up. Maybe I got a lemon, dunno.;)
I am sure there is the occassional keeper with any product, I think there were a few people happy w/ their Pintos & Gremlins, but going by the vast number of guys that dump their Lee porgressives to get a LNL or Dillon, the cheap nature of all Lee products & poor QC w/ a lot of them, I wouldn't spend good money on a Lee progressive when another $250 gets you a proven design like a LNL or even the slow, manual indexing, no case feeder, 500rds/hr 550B.;) I learned along time ago, good tools make any job easier & more enjoyable.
For the record, I don;t like or recommend TightGroup either & there are 1000s of TG users. I am just not one of them for so many reasons.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yes, I know how you feel about TG.:D:D ...and WST for that matter, which may have been the best piece of advice I ever got from you. Thanks.:cool: Only reason I got the Lee was there was not going to be funding for anything BUT. Had I waited for funds for anything else, I'd still be using the Lee Turret for pistol due to a large unforeseen issue that came up right after I got the LM. I have no complaints and that is good enough for me.;)

Ruaerikoholic, you will be needing to get some set up to swage or remove the crimp. I use a Dillon Super Swage. It is not cheap, but it works great and can be used for anything crimped, pistol or rifle. Also, FC and PMC and a couple of others have crimped primers on .223 and 5.56. I would NOT recommend using the Lee chamfer tool to remove the crimps. Yes, it will work, but it is super slow and painful. With the Super Swage, I can run 1k cases in a couple of hours.:cool:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Get the "Classic" Turret, it's a cheap upgrade from the "Deluxe." It's a much more rugged design. The spent primer catch system is much better as well, you'll thank me when your not chasing spent primers all over.
The Lyman 49th is an extremely good reference and a great starter manual. Get the Lee as well, it's pretty handy. It has a ton of data and a fair bit of good to know info. It's also so cheap you won't regret it in the event you don't really care for it.
http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-turret-press/lee-classic-turret-press

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yes, I know how you feel about TG.:D:D ...and WST for that matter, which may have been the best piece of advice I ever got from you. Thanks.:cool: Only reason I got the Lee was there was not going to be funding for anything BUT. Had I waited for funds for anything else, I'd still be using the Lee Turret for pistol due to a large unforeseen issue that came up right after I got the LM. I have no complaints and that is good enough for me.;)

Ruaerikoholic, you will be needing to get some set up to swage or remove the crimp. I use a Dillon Super Swage. It is not cheap, but it works great and can be used for anything crimped, pistol or rifle. Also, FC and PMC and a couple of others have crimped primers on .223 and 5.56. I would NOT recommend using the Lee chamfer tool to remove the crimps. Yes, it will work, but it is super slow and painful. With the Super Swage, I can run 1k cases in a couple of hours.:cool:
Hey, reloading on Lee gear beats buying factory ammo anyday, unless you can get it for the same cost as reloading it, which 99.9% of the shooters can not.;) I own some Lee gear, it's how I know about their QC. It works, most of the time, until it doesn't. So I can't recommend much but their LCT (the LCT from playing on a firends) & their 20# bottom pour casting pot. Their bullet molds are hit & miss, dies, same. Still, better than not reloading at all.:mrgreen:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts