Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys use Lee Factory die on straight walled rounds?
I've been considering it for some of my pistol rounds, just trying to get a little better performance and possibly a more complete burn in some of my rounds. I am just going on a hunch. But if no one has tried it, it's all the more reason to do so.

·
Registered
536 Posts
do you mean factory crimp die?
going off the words of a member of my gunclub I bought one in 45acp. he said it allowed him to shoot lswc w/o issue.
I load on an lnl w/a powder cop die which puts the fcd in the last position. this would hit the wire that throws out the loaded round, causing my press to jump time. I had heard that Lee dies didn't work well in the lnl.
aside from that, I can't tell a difference. the die is cheap if you get one locally. when it gets a little cooler(Houston)and i get some time I might remove the powder cop die and give it another try.
I have had good luck at times w/lswc in my 45Tacs. most stoppages are from lube buildup. if you shoot matches just take a can of carb cleaner and spray it down between stages, if allowed.
honestly I can't tell a difference. there were no instructions on setting the fcd.
good luck

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I use a factory crimp die on my .40 rounds and its made sure that Ive never had a failure of any kind since using it. I shoot an STI with a very tight chamber and most rounds that wont chamber in it will always chamber in my XD or Sig. For the cost of the die, I see no reason to put off picking one up.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I bought one to try with my 9mm but can confirm that they do not work in the last station of a Hornady LNL AP. You have to use a powder thru expander so that you can put the sizer in Station 4.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hornady has a sizer die that works in Station 5, but they cost a lot more than the Lee dies do.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you mean factory crimp die?
going off the words of a member of my gunclub I bought one in 45acp. he said it allowed him to shoot lswc w/o issue.
I load on an lnl w/a powder cop die which puts the fcd in the last position. this would hit the wire that throws out the loaded round, causing my press to jump time. I had heard that Lee dies didn't work well in the lnl.
aside from that, I can't tell a difference. the die is cheap if you get one locally. when it gets a little cooler(Houston)and i get some time I might remove the powder cop die and give it another try.
I have had good luck at times w/lswc in my 45Tacs. most stoppages are from lube buildup. if you shoot matches just take a can of carb cleaner and spray it down between stages, if allowed.
honestly I can't tell a difference. there were no instructions on setting the fcd.
good luck
I use a factory crimp die on my .40 rounds and its made sure that Ive never had a failure of any kind since using it. I shoot an STI with a very tight chamber and most rounds that wont chamber in it will always chamber in my XD or Sig. For the cost of the die, I see no reason to put off picking one up.
Yes xdmikey, I left off a very important word, "CRIMP". :oops:Thanks for your help.
ichy, you hit the nail on the head. I've got a competition barrel that I sometimes have trouble with the round chambering. I guess if I had 'splained all of that, it would have got to the meat of the solution sooner. I don't mind the $22.00, I guess that I was just wondering if anyone else had the same difficulties.
Another fella has told me that the Lee Factory Crimp die would tighten up the taper crimp and provide the powder enough time to burn more thoroughly, allowing for a longer seating (bullet closer to the lands). I don't know if this makes much difference with a pistol.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for my 9mm in a LnL press. Comments are correct that the eject wire doesn't work so I just keep the wire in the up position and remove rounds manually just as I'm loading the next brass.

Occasionally a round hangs up on the entry bevel to the die. This could be a hassle if you are a high speed reloader. But all in all I like mine.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I've used one here recently and it really makes for a nice round. No problems w/ FTFeeds.

And it's quick. I'm using a single-stage press and I can go through a bunch of rounds in a hurry.

I haven't compared how rounds w/ the factory crimp compare to those without it. One more thing to figure out. :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I bought one to try with my 9mm but can confirm that they do not work in the last station of a Hornady LNL AP. You have to use a powder thru expander so that you can put the sizer in Station 4.
Is it a Lee facoty crimp die? Looking to unload it? It is 9mm, right?

·
Registered
536 Posts
fsmith2610, now I can move the wire and put my fcd back in and get down to business.
Edubya, I hope things work out for you

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I like the EGW undersized die for making sure my reloads chamber properly. A few of the Open-gun shooters use the Lee factory die for their loads though. I can't see how it could be a bad idea when they are pretty inexpensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts