Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To all the red kool-aid drinkers out there that use an Auto-Disk Powder measure:

What pistol powders meter well in the Lee Auto Disk?

I was using Titegroup but noticed two things: (1) the manufacturer of my bullets (Precision Bullets) warns against Titegroup (I haven't had any problems to speak of) and (2)the first thousand were pretty consistent, but now seem to be fluctuating badly (+- .3 grains).

So I'm looking for pistol suitable powders that work well with the Auto-Disk.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I use Red Dot powder in my auto powder measure. I don't recall what disc hole size im using. I have never had more than a .1 +/- though, hardly ever any difference at all.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Red Dot powder in my auto powder measure. I don't recall what disc hole size im using. I have never had more than a .1 +/- though, hardly ever any difference at all.
I want something slower than titegroup. My load is really smoky and Red Dot's faster than Titegroup.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
That it is lol....

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use Titegroup without problem in my Lees, but I don't like to use it with lead bullets.... just burns too hot. For lead I've been using HP38/W231 & Longshot.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I also use tight group without issues But another good option is AA5 in 9mm, 40S&W, .45 acp

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I also use TG in my Lee Auto-Disk. I haven't had any issues at all, and everything has been consistent. Did you just start noticing these fluctuations with a new batch of TG?...Moving +/- .3g is a lot!

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also use TG in my Lee Auto-Disk. I haven't had any issues at all, and everything has been consistent. Did you just start noticing these fluctuations with a new batch of TG?...Moving +/- .3g is a lot!
Yeah. All of my first batch were really consistent, but as I was doing a few I would pull a bunch and check the load.

I was originally shooting for 4.0 gr and I'd get loads that would go down to 3.85 and up to 4.2.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I don;t use the Lee measure, don't like fixed powder measures. I can recommend WST for yo uthough. A biut lsower than TG, no pressure spikes & burns cooler, perfect for lead bullets & meters well.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Yeah. All of my first batch were really consistent, but as I was doing a few I would pull a bunch and check the load.

I was originally shooting for 4.0 gr and I'd get loads that would go down to 3.85 and up to 4.2.
That is a scary fluctuation, especially if you are loading on the higher end of the spectrum.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That is a scary fluctuation, especially if you are loading on the higher end of the spectrum.
I was just barely above the starting load, but still I was a little surprised to see this much fluctuation.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I use Red Dot, Bulls Eye, and Titegroup in my autodisk. Titegroup seems to measure better than the coarser powders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
titegroup on a new autodisc gives me 3.8 on a .34 disc should be 4.0, 4.0 on a .37 should be 4.4, and perfect 4.7 on a .40 disc... It would be nice if i could throw a 4.4 for my 180 gr speer hollowpoint 40 S&W. so there is no way i can throw anything between 4.0 and 4.7. Ohwell go figure:-|

·
Registered
526 Posts
I used Titegroup for years in my Pro1000 with no problems. One technique that I used with that press was every time I'd start a loading session I would throw a few (4 to 6) charges to get everything settled in before loading for real. I still use this technique on my Dillon and RCBS powder measurers. BTW, Lee makes an adjustable disk for their measurer to replace the fixed hole discs if you want more fine tuneability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts