Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is not a commercial for Lee Dies. I've always used RCBS and was ready to buy that brand. Looking for 40 S&W dies I checked Midway and found a 4 Carbide die set by Lee with a shell holder CHEAP. I bought the set and tried them out today. Neet!!! What I like is that the crimp die is seperate and is a final resizing die also. It crimps and then checks the whole case and resizes it to Sammi specks so you don't have to worry about the shell not fitting into your chamber. I've had trouble with RCBS 9mm dies in that the seating and crimp die is all in one and sometimes I wind up with small bulges on the case where the base of the bullet is seated. Not with this lee crimp/sizings die. I don't have a progressive press but if I did the die that bells the case is hollow so that you can drop a powder charge through it after you have primered and belled the case. Just something that I found interesting and easy to work with. Don

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lee dies are first rate. The Lee carbide factory crimp die is a stroke of genius.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
I'm getting ready to trash can my rcbs dies. I lot of times I can't get the rounds to chamber. But if I rotate the casing 180 degree's then it loads right up. No matter how I adjust the die it's always the same old thing. Talking 22-250 dies. May just go to a neck resizing die (non rcbs).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one-eyed-fatman, I neck size my 22-250, 243 and 25.06. What I've found is that you may get a little more accuracy but you might have more trouble chambering your rounds. They get pretty tight. I had to quit neck sizing my 25.06 because, like you, I found that if I rotated the round a little they would chamber. Not a good thing when your hunting. I also find that when neck sizing I have to full length size ablut every 3rd reload. I use Forrester neck sizing dies.....way better than RCBS. Just my .02 worth. Don

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
I cant say enough about the lee dies, with the final resize I have never had a round not chamber becuase it was not sized properly.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
I'm getting ready to trash can my rcbs dies. I lot of times I can't get the rounds to chamber. But if I rotate the casing 180 degree's then it loads right up. No matter how I adjust the die it's always the same old thing. Talking 22-250 dies. May just go to a neck resizing die (non rcbs).
I adjust my full length die to only size about half the neck and yes, they are harder to chamber but man are they more accurate. Dont pass on trying Hornady new dimension dies, I bought a set for my .44 and they are really top rate.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have been using Lee dies since I started loading 40sw(about 10 years ago), and they have always worked great. Right now they are set up in a Dillon 650 putting out 8000 to 10000 rounds a year. As for not worring about not fitting in the chamber, I gage all my match ammo and I find 5 or 6 per 1000 that don't fit in the gage, but that is from using range brass more then likely and not the fault of the dies. The ones that don't pass the gage test go in a can to get shot up later, and even the ones that didn't fit still have worked in my XD so far.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one-eyed-fatman-If you haven't, you should try the Forester Bench Rest Seating die with the micrometer to adjust the seating depth. It also has an internal sleeve that catches the case as the die is coming down for perfect concentricity of the bullet seating. They're neet and boy do they knock the accurracy up a notch. DonL

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Lee dies is all I use. Never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
DonL100 said:
one-eyed-fatman, I neck size my 22-250, 243 and 25.06. What I've found is that you may get a little more accuracy but you might have more trouble chambering your rounds. They get pretty tight. I had to quit neck sizing my 25.06 because, like you, I found that if I rotated the round a little they would chamber. Not a good thing when your hunting. I also find that when neck sizing I have to full length size ablut every 3rd reload. I use Forrester neck sizing dies.....way better than RCBS. Just my .02 worth. Don
I've never had any of the problems you guys are describing with my 7mm-08 rounds that I neck size with the Lee collet dies. Don't require lube either and though I trim to length every time there is typically little trimming to be done. I bought 300 rounds of factory ammo and use the Lee die only and am on my 5th loading with some and I think I will get 2-3 more.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I use Lee for my dillons. best dies by far. I did wear out my lee crimp die and had to resort to the dillon crimp for my .40s. otherwise no problems. I've loaded probably 80K on my 650 and at least 20K on by 550.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Well I finally got to see how my new full length Forrester sizer die did today. Out of 60 rounds 3/4 of them bolted down in the XP without a hitch. Had minor problems bolting some of them. Only one had to be rotated before the bolt would lock down on it. I'd say about a 95% improvement over the rcbs die. Me happy. Here's my third target at 100 yards. I gave myself a not bad but needs improvement grade. The black square is 2 inches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts