Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that all the "good" leather holster manufactures are 8-12 weeks behind. It would appear to me that if they don't get some sort of apprenticeship program going and increase production the Chinese are going to catch wind of the situation.

We all know what a billion unemployed Chinese workers are capable of doing. [Producing massive quantities of dirt cheap leather holsters] This will quickly put our under staffed American holster companies out of business over night.

I don't know anything about the production of leather holsters but I do know there is a need for more individuals in the business to fill the demand. I would just hate to see another thriving industry fall prey to the cheap labor across the pond.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Personally it seems that there are just a few holster companies that get a lot of the business and so those few are the ones that are backed up. There are probably 30 or 40 leather holster makers out there who don't have such a wait. Also some can build up a stock of holsters and send it right out to you but some of them don't make it until you order it and then they custom make it so that takes time. If you don't want to wait then don't order from Milt Sparks or Mitch whatshisname. There are lots of great leather companies out there such as Rafter S, El Paso Saddlery and Tucker Gunleather plus a whole lot that many haven't heard of. Not to say that none of those three ever have a wait.

brad cook

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
There was a thread listing tons of holster makers over at THR a while back.

Link

Plenty of companies listed there both leather and non.

brad cook

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sounds like a capitalist's dream. Go learn the leather trade and start selling holsters. Even if they are sub quality, the demand is enough to drive business your way. :wink:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
On the contrary I think the market is flooded. It's hard to establish your name because there are already so many out there. See my post two above this one for further proof of that.

brad cook

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DigMe said:
On the contrary I think the market is flooded. It's hard to establish your name because there are already so many out there. See my post two above this one for further proof of that.

brad cook
The key word in my post was "good". Just because there are lots of companies that sell holster doesn't mean there is an adequate supply of "good" quality holsters on the market, specifically for the XD . Just about every IWB holster I like has a long wait for delivery.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You've checked EP saddlery, Del Fatti, High Noon, Tucker Gunleather, Rafter s, Brommeland, Fist, Horseshoe, Kramer, Kirkpatrick, Wild Bill's etc, etc.. and they ALL have weeks of wait? Those are ones that I've heard good things about but there are more than that.

brad cook

·
Registered
72 Posts
Among the leather makers I know the wait time depends on alot of factors.

If they just hired new vs experienced makers, If they do it as a 1 guy shop,
supplier problems, how popular they are, if they just moved, etc.....
If they are machine made holsters and the dyes/press/cutters are down...etc etc etc....

With me it seems the phases of the moon have something to do with it at times.....or just "the way things work out".

Matt Delfatti has a 8-10 month wait time and hes booked up for a gazillion years.....ok, not really but he's busy anyway.
He's the longest I know of among the guys who do it all by hand..one by one.

It just depends on there individual situation....

and depends on if its worth the wait for you. Shoot well.......

·
Registered
42 Posts
I say order what you want and wait. I had to wait for about 4 months for mine from Eric Larson. It was well worth the wait. I was like a kid waiting on christmas. It is hard to wait but well worth it.

Tim

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
SwitchbladeJ said:
I ordered a Fist #8 last Tuesday and I was told 3-4 weeks. Nowhere near the exagerated 8-10 you mentioned.
My last FIST holster took 3 weeks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tminer,
Well 4 months is just too damn long to wait.....IMO. Sorry again. Im about 2 -2 1/2 months out. I did manage to get a bunch of "hurry up' orders out for Xmas though. Mostly wives who called and wanted to surprise their husbands......that was very cool of them to do that for Xmas..........
Thanks for the kind words.....I do appreciate it very much.
Shoot well.........Eric

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have an 1880 Mexican Loop holster from El Paso Saddlery for my Colt SAA and yes, I paid more than I would have for a Bianchi or Tripple K form Cableas and yes, it took about 2 months to get the final product, but if you could see the quality...the thickness of the leather...the hand stitching...the hand-rubbed dye..you'd agree that this was something worth waiting for. I have never held a holster that was of this quality...ever.

I also have a Tucker 1911 pancake holster that is of suberb quality. At 80 bucks or so, yes, its a pricey pancake, but it makes the 5 inch 39oz 1911 something you dont mind wearing all day.

My friend has a 1911 holster made by Bob Mernickle of Nevada and it comes close in quality. Again not fast...not cheap, but since Merneckle makes holsters for the Xd and the EP people said "huh?" when I asked about holsters for the XD, I am going with a Mernickle.

Sorry guys, but in this fast food world, sometimes it is worth the wait for something of high quality.

Fast and cheap holsters have never been something that I was really proud of in the end, wheras my EP Saddlery, Tucker and this new Mernickle will be things of beauty that are a joy to wear all day and something I want to show off.

-Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
One problem for us is that taking time to train a new person takes away from production. Common in many industries.
Secondly, in a small shop environment, the person has to have basic skills, aptitude, take training well, show up on time everyday and wear well personally.

Tucker has a guy in mind who has done part time work before and has the qualities he wants. We'll see if it happens.

Meanwhile, you wouldn't want a holster that I made, so I can't help. Besides I have three other businesses to attend to.

We are currently running 2-3 weeks on IWB's, 6-8 weeks on pancakes and belts and unstamped HF1's and HF3's. Tucker is running 10-12 weeks on fancy rigs.

You'd be amazed at the amount of work and quality he is producing, but it's taking weekend work to do it.

I've watched the guys at Comp-tac make kydex holsters. They can respond quickly and get orders out the door. Leather is a different matter altogether.

I don't think a Chinese holster would be an option for most of you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is why most of my rigs are Galco. All the Galco rigs have worked well for me and done so over the long haul. The best part is I can order from 20 places on line and walk into my local shop and see it first hand and even try it on.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Digme, that was an extensive list of holster makers on that link. Now, I know there are a lot out there and some were probably missed, but what surprised me was a company located in San Dimas, Ca., Tex Shoemaker and Sons, was not mentioned. When I hired on in 76 with LASD, all of their leather gear was furnished by them and other agencies used them also.

As of 6 months ago, they were still in business (and have been for over 50yrs I believe) because I had a custom suede one made for my ccw in the waistband sub 9. Yes, I said suede, but their primary business is leather. I don't know, maybe their quality has slipped or maybe because they are a massed producer their name was mentioned. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
retired said:
Digme, that was an extensive list of holster makers on that link. Now, I know there are a lot out there and some were probably missed, but what surprised me was a company located in San Dimas, Ca., Tex Shoemaker and Sons, was not mentioned. When I hired on in 76 with LASD, all of their leather gear was furnished by them and other agencies used them also.

As of 6 months ago, they were still in business (and have been for over 50yrs I believe) because I had a custom suede one made for my ccw in the waistband sub 9. Yes, I said suede, but their primary business is leather. I don't know, maybe their quality has slipped or maybe because they are a massed producer their name was mentioned. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Retired,

If they have a website then post it here and I'll try and remember to add it to that thread over at The High Road.

brad cook

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Here it is brad: texshoemaker.com. Also, their 800 number is 345-9959. I just spoke with a lady there and she said they not only make the suede one I have for ccw, they make it in leather in IWB and OWB for all versions of the XD. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts