Springfield XD Forum banner

Least expensive AK, that uses standard AK mags?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  lutheranpriest 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
If you can find a wasr for under $300, grab it and ask if he has any more. If he does, get his phone number and PM it to me.

#3 ·
Looking for a truck-gun. I want the absolute least expensive AK. I'm going under the assumption that they all work, since that is the great thing about these guns, isn't it?

Should I just go grab a WASR at the local store for under $300?
Not gonna happen anymore. I was just on a site that sold out of wasr's at the bargain basement price of $899:shock: Good thing I have about 5 that I built for cheap.

#4 ·
But to answer your question: Yes. Just go buy a WASR, and it will accept standard mags and function just fine.

Just be aware that there are both single-stack and double-stack versions. You want the double-stack. You can modify the single-stack to accept double-stack mags, but you'll also need to add some U.S.-made parts to make it compliant.

#5 ·
if you dont care about looks, and just want cheap, you can get a brand spanking new russian saiga for $349

Russian Saiga AK 47 Rifle IZ 132

you need to mod a bit to take the regular steel ak mags. just a bullet guide.

dinzagarms

you have to remain 922 compliant, not sure if the mag makes a different, or if the distinction is the stock and pistol grip.

I planed on doing all the above, replace my 5 parts and call it a day.

einheit or nanolith would know if you can add a bullet guide and call it a day, that would be the cheapest AK out there right now.

#6 ·
found the answer quickly

heres the deal it would no longer be a sporting rifle if you add high cap mags.

You have a Saiga-7.62x39 and want to use high capacity magazines. Since high capacity magazines are considered “unsporting”, and would be in violation of 922(r). Your rifle with mag has 14 parts. Use U.S. made mags and one additional U.S. made part like a gas piston and you are good to go.

source:
dinzagarms

#7 ·
Well, I cruised down to the store that had all the sub-$300 WASRs. GONE (as you expected).

They do have $350 Saigas. I may grab one. Plastic furniture (which I prefer), and I like the look. I'll have to look into the magazine-thing a little more deeply. Thanks for the links, Bill.

Thanks for the advice, everybody!
it seems painfully easy.

I havent done it yet, but i did buy a .223 saiga, and my galil mags fit like a charm, but with out the dinzag bullet guide they dont feed bullets.

dinzagarms

Ill probably order up the guide, and my ace 6 point stock i want. Just trying to figure out the best way to get my mandatory us parts.

the above link has the bullet guide you need, and mgeoffriau did a mice little write up showing how easy it is to move the trigger forward and swap all the parts in.

#11 ·
I checked with the other store that had WASRs (it's a small chain). The guy said they had 300 of them not too long ago. Now he's down to one (and it's on layaway for some dude).

I might just fix up my SKS. It's a decent shooter.

Hehe, that might be me who has it on layaway. You don' t happen to live in southern MN, do you?

My local Dunham's Sports was running a special on the 10-round version of the WASR for $300. They had 200 pre-orders, sold the remaining 100 within a day or so, and had 300 rain checks besides. Yesterday they had 1 remaining GP WASR 10/63 for $500, and it's on layaway. I'm still not 100% sure if I want it, I need to go pay my future baby a visit and take a closer look.

That being said, the cheapest I've seen on Gun Broker the last day or so is $580. If you figure in at least $20 shipping and at least $25 FFL transfer, that's pushing $625.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.