Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you guys ever shoot lead rounds in you xd i found a place online that sell em cheap. 1000 rnds for $130 any sugestions on lead vs fmj

.40 s&w 5 inch tactiacal

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lead is OK to shoot in your XD it is dirty though.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Make sure that the bullets are on the hard range of the spectrum I've used lead in a 9mm and after 25rounds you couldnt see the rifling in the barrel anymore. What a p.i.t.a. to clean out.

·
Registered
821 Posts
snackman usmc said:
does walmart carry ammo in california
It can vary depending on the area.I can personally verify Norcal
stores from Turlock to Lodi usually have these calibers on
hand 22,38,357,9mm,40,45,.223,30.06.Sometimes they are
out of 9mm or 40.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went to wall mart here in huntington beach they had 40 sw for 15.97 for 100 rnds cheaper than the range plus there not reloads there winchester factory ammo pluss there the same grain as my home defence rnds same make and everything thanks for the help guys now all i need to do is break this gun in when i pick it up on aug 3rd

·
Registered
35 Posts
Snackman,

I've used lead bullets exclusively in my 9mm and 44 Magnum. Key in avoiding leading of the barrel is bullet hardness and adequate lubrication. I cast my own bullets and have formulated my own mix equal to Alloy #2 with a BHN of 15. Tried Lee Liquid Alox, but I like my own wax mixture of bee's wax, parafin and vaseline.

My cost for reloading 9mm is around $61 per thousand.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Went to an outdoor range last weekend and shot 350 rounds of lead through my 9SC with only 1 jam (stovepipe). 145g Round Nose with 3.5 W231. Very accurate. No problem with leading - its a pretty low velocity load. Got the cast bullets locally from Space Coast Bullets $32 for 1000! They also do mail order if anyone is intrested. Adding in the primers and powder I pay about $65 per 1000.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
After a session of shooting alot of lead send a few FMJ down the barrel. It will shoot out alot of the lead. I shoot alot of lead 38 special SWC through my Ruger Blackhawk and if I forget to shoot some jacked bullets through it at the end its PITA to clean. If I put six 357 Magnum JHP through it last there is very little lead left in the barrel just a touch around the forcing cone in the barrel.

Just and idea
mcb

·
Registered
401 Posts
Another lead shooter here.

I buy my bullets locally and it comes out to about $52 per 1000 for 9mm reloads. If I use plated bullets it's about $70 per 1000.

I can load lead .40 for about $56 per thousand. Plated, $88/1000.

My XD have had mostly lead diets, but now I am trying to use only plated from now on because of the smoke and the way lead gums up your guns.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I just ordered 1000 plated bullets from Cabelas for $41 shipping included. Found a source for lead bullets for about 6 bucks less per 1000.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i shoot plenty of lead in my guns, you just need to match hardness to velocity to get good obturation so you dont get blowby that melts lead and makes for nasty leading.

good lube is also very improtant.

if you do have leading problems choreboy wrapped around a brush will clean that crap out of your barrel in a couple strokes.

shooting fast and heating things up will also make leading worse, i also prefer to shoot at least 1000 round of jacketed ammo through the gun to smooth things out before i switch to lead bullets.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
115gr RN Rainier. I think the 124gr were a couple of dollars more. Check out cabelas.com Been getting my plated bullets there for quite a while.

·
Registered
94 Posts
agalindo said:
I just ordered 1000 plated bullets from Cabelas for $41 shipping included. Found a source for lead bullets for about 6 bucks less per 1000.
What size ammo was that you bought?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
9mm. Just check my account it was actualy $44.73 for 1000 115gr shipping included.

I've bought .40 180gr and 165gr but can't remember what I paid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts