Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading about the importance of taking precautions against ingesting lead. Anyone take any special measures? About the only thing I've been doing is washing my hands after shooting.

I remember reading long ago about a little trick to clean up and render lead paint dust inert. Buy an old-fashioned detergent WITH phosphates, dissolve some in water, and wipe down the surfaces that might have lead. The phosphate reacts with the lead, changing it to a form that is not absorbed by the body.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nah...slowly build up an immunity to lead...just like any other poison...

Or at least, that's the logic the military seemed to have...go to the range, shoot all day, use hand sanitizer before eating, if that (MREs), clean your weapon, scrub is all out, all without proper facilities to wash residue off your hands...

No wonder I feel stupid when I go back to school...lowering my intellect indeed.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
If you have small children, make sure you wash your hands (and theirs) thoroughly after handling lead or visiting the range. Lead doesn’t have much effect on adults but there are strong indications that it can hurt young children neurologically. Some may not believe that the studies are true about lead but who really wants to take a risk with their children???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every time I take someone shooting I tell them to wash their hands AND face afterwards. Usually after discharging, powders and other metal flakes and random crap are blown or floated onto our face.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is something that I too, have been concerned about. Makes me want to stop shooting. :roll: Anyone know if inhaling the gun powder is bad? Also, how about the powder residue we normal clean up, does that contain lead too? All I shoot are FMJ's. BTW, I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't be surprised that ammunition contains heavy metals. Besides lead in the projectiles, primers have compounds containing mercury. Of course, the worst way to get these introduced to your system is a ballistic wound. Oral and respiratory ingestion don't particularly appeal to me. I always wash hands and face as soon as possible after shooting, and hands after reloading. 'Seems like a sensible precaution.

For more than you ever care to know, check out:

Wallace, J. S., "Chemical Analysis of Firearms, Ammunition, and Gunshot Residue", CRC Press, 2008

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
If you have small children, make sure you wash your hands (and theirs) thoroughly after handling lead or visiting the range. Lead doesn’t have much effect on adults but there are strong indications that it can hurt young children neurologically. Some may not believe that the studies are true about lead but who really wants to take a risk with their children???
I guess since I was a bit of a smart a** in the last post I have to in all seriousness agree with you about the kids there Wendy, good word.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
This is something that I too, have been concerned about. Makes me want to stop shooting. :roll: Anyone know if inhaling the gun powder is bad? Also, how about the powder residue we normal clean up, does that contain lead too? All I shoot are FMJ's. BTW, I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything.
Sorry y'all, I couldn't resist this........ "I love the smell of gun powder in the morning" slight paraphrase I know. :lol:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Your normal lead level should be absolutely no higher than 10 and mine was tested to be 46. My doctor wanted to put me through kelation therapy to reduce my contamination.
I do alot of reloading and I moved my tumbler outside in order to reduce the lead contaminated dust. I also completely stopped shooting indoors for awhile and when I did, I wore a HEPA respirator for extended shooting sessions. Wash wash wash when your done shooting, this includes your clothing. I also wear gloves now when cleaning guns and reloading.
Its serious stuff guys, take the proper precautions.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I wear this when I reload...

Joking aside, it is a very serious issue. But, it is nothing to freak out over either. Just take some rational precautions to limit your exposure and inhalation.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Well other than not eating the bullets....

I wear latex gloves when reloading, wash my hands plenty of times after messing with guns and ammo, and like Ichy mentioned...I wear a mask when shooting indoor matches (like a painters type mask, not the cheap ones but the ones with a filter on both sides).

·
Registered
368 Posts
All I shoot are FMJ's.
Don't forget that many FMJ's have an exposed "backside". Some of that lead does vaporize upon firing.

I heard on Modern Marvels that the military is starting to move completely away from lead. I think they are exploring a tungsten alloy. They already use tungsten in their frangible ammo.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Is there any truth to the "Winny-Clean" rounds? or is it just a marketing gimick?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Is there any truth to the "Winny-Clean" rounds? or is it just a marketing gimick?
There is truth to them. They make lead free primers and I believe those are used in that ammo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts