Springfield XD Forum banner

Lead bullets

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  wellerjohn 
Most if not all Speer's lead bullets are swaged. These work best when they are .002 larger than the bore. They allow the gas to get around them and melt the lead/lube if they aren't oversized.
All lead bullets work best when at least 0.001" larger than bore diameter. I shoot lead bullets almost exclusively from all of my handguns, in calibers from 9mm-45colt. I used to cast quite a bit, but it is time consuming & unless you have access to cheap or free alloy, it's hardly worth it for blasting ammo. Just buy them from a hobby caster, there are many.

on a side note. When you use the copper chore boy, do you put any type of solvent in with it, or dry? and the jag you use, is the one made for your caliber, or one smaller to allow for the extra thickness of the chore boy?
Don't use a jag, rather an old bore brush. Just wrap some strands around it & I add a little Kroil oil. A few passes & done. Lead wipw away cloth can be cut into patches & used w/ a bore jag, works well too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.