Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one in 38? Thinking of getting one for emergency
Use for wife/lightweight carry option. Any opinions
Would be great. Shot airweight today, not too sure
about trigger pull there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm looking at the same for my wife but I wouldn't buy it before she had a chance to decide for herself. Everything I've read says it's a great trigger pull and recoil is lessened by the grips.

I have read too, where there has been many incidents of flame cutting on the frame. You can Google it.

I will look at the S&W LadySmith also.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ruger LCR having issues?

There are many other reports on this and it may have been addressed by Ruger. I'm still Google searching it to help make a decision.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Nice & reliable little pistols. But the double action trigger has to be mastered with practice. So this isn't a pistol to buy & just put awzy waiting for a SHTF mument, especially if your wife doesn't shoot much.

So definitely have her practice that difficult long double action trigger and probably just use quality .38 JHP's and not even go with a more powerful +P ammunition

The laser can only help, it really shows how difficult it is to hold the pistol straight while moving that trigger backwards & on target.

I'm sure many people here will disagree with me, and that is fine. This has worked well with the many inexperienced & females new to shooting progress rapidly. So, just take the info, give it some serious thought, and make an informed decision.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Love my LCR. I have the .38 version, not the .357, because I wanted the lightest revolver possible for pocket carry (4 ounces difference). The trigger is very smooth. I have not seen any mention of flame cutting problems on the Ruger Forums. It is a very sweet gun......

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with Rykko. Practice is needed. I have one and my wife shoots it about as well as I do. Starting out though we were all over the place. The grip helps with the recoil but it still has a lot of pop. I carry it often in shorts and t-shirts and hardly know it's in my waistband.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the .357 and it's a sweet shooter for the size and weight. The trigger doesn't take long to get used to and I managed to hit a 12" steel target at 100 yards. It's all about a consistent rearward pressure. The first time I had the LCR at the range I didn't let the trigger out enough to reset, but all 5 shots were on target in rapid succession by the end of the range session.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I use the .38 spcl. LCR s a carry gun to stick in my pocket holster when it's just not convenient to carry my XD9SC while working in the yard and outside shop.

I carry Speer Gold Dot 135gr. +p. With this load, it's NOT a comfortable gun to practice 50 rounds with at the range, but a couple of cylinders (in a worst case scenario) is no problem. I have the softer rubber boot grips on mine, not the Crimson Trace. Like ANY lightweight "J" size snubbie, it packs a kick. However, mine has been completely reliable with about 1000 rounds through it, and it's as accurate as any 2" barrel revolver can be.

I'll heartily recommend it!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I posed the flame cutting issue on the ruger forum and got several quick responses. No one there has had any issues and many have several hundred rounds through their LCRs. Go for it...It's a great gun.....

·
Registered
486 Posts
I say have her shoot it with Federal Nyclad rounds (some of the lower recoiling of the .38's).

I say have her shoot and try if FIRST because my mother loved it, but my wife couldn't reach the trigger well enough. Very uncomfortable for her.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I shot both LCR and bodyguard 38, both great guns but I opted for the bodyguard 38 since I'm a lefty and it has the ambi-cylinder release. IMO LCR has the best trigger though.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I agree with Rykko. Practice is needed. I have one and my wife shoots it about as well as I do. Starting out though we were all over the place. The grip helps with the recoil but it still has a lot of pop. I carry it often in shorts and t-shirts and hardly know it's in my waistband.
Video taping each other at the range and watching it together really helps you see eyes closed, jerking the trigger, or anticipating recoil. It's a great tool to utilize to help speed along the process of becoming a comfortable shooter.

When I started out in IDPA, i videoed everyone to see the good and the bad habits i wnted to work on. Learned some great stuff that way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My wife likes hers. She tried many guns just for grip fit without shooting and decided on the LCR. She basically had little gun experiance before this.
Had hard time on target, but is getting better with pactice. I blame most on inexperiance. I considered it a hard pull on tirgger.
But i can't wait for her to be ready for her second gun, so i can carry it as a back up in my boot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Video taping each other at the range and watching it together really helps you see eyes closed, jerking the trigger, or anticipating recoil. It's a great tool to utilize to help speed along the process of becoming a comfortable shooter.

When I started out in IDPA, i videoed everyone to see the good and the bad habits i wnted to work on. Learned some great stuff that way.
Great idea.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Man I love the XS Big Dit sights, changed my world.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.