Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is $350 for a NIB from dealer LCR a good deal? Considering one for the fiancee. Thanks!

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
Does she like shooting lightweight snubs with small grips and a short sight radius?

·
Premium Member
127,703 Posts
Is $350 for a NIB from dealer LCR a good deal? Considering one for the fiancee. Thanks!

Ye, that is a good deal. I am a gun dealer and that is below my cost. Snap it up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
AND a rather abrupt recoil. I wouldn't ever consider purchasing a handgun for anyone without having them test drive it first.
This. And we all know how picky women can be. I'd say to take her to the gun store and let her try her hand on a few different pistols/revolvers. If she doesn't like the way it feels, no way in hell she's gonna wanna shoot it.

I bought my wife an LC9, but only because that's the one she picked out. Its a little snappy, but I think think the fact that SHE picked it out helps out a ton with her desire to shoot it. She really loves it, though.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/180375-bought-my-wife-lovely-thing.html

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
While at it, you may want to have her try the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard in .38 Spl. I saw a video where someone did a side by side comparison and felt that the Smith was softer. Really comes down to what she thinks is best.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, its going to be a surprise, so trying it out first wont work. She has shot a .38 revolver before, and she didn't like it. In fact, that was just only 2 weeks ago, and it was the first time she ever shot a gun. She went with her work for a team building outing, and shot a .22 Ruger and some kind of .38 revolver.

Basically, she has not much of an interest in firearms and not much of a desire to learn how to shoot them. I'm looking to get something for her to have in the house for while I'm at work all night and she is in bed. She will probably only practice with it a couple of times a year when I push her to it. Add to that she weighs about 90 to 95 lbs. She has expressed that she wants to learn how to use a gun or the guns I own just out of a practical reasoning that she should at least be familiar with something if its in the house.

So, I am looking for a simple gun that she can't have a limp wrist malfunction with. Its gotta be VERY affordable on top of that, so its looking ilke the LCR is in the lead for now.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Forget the surprise !!!

If you want something in the house, that she will use if needed ... It's gonna need to be something that in her mind does not hurt or cause apprehension when shot.

I'd bet the main reason she didn't like the 38 was a combination of recoil, and grip comfort, or possibly being to heavy.

Did she say ?

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
In that case...

Look for a used, steel K-frame S&W .38/.357 with a 4" barrel (Model 10,19,65,66, et al). Light recoil, good sight radius, full-sized grip, effective caliber. She might actually like shooting it, too.

You should be able to find one easily for under $400. I know I saw some rough-finish, but mechanically solid M10's at a gun show last year for $289.

A Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

·
Registered
425 Posts
How about a chocolate gun with a card explaining how much you love her, explaining how you want her to be safe when she's home alone, and after lunch at her favorite place you'll be taking her to buy a gun she likes and is comfortable with? She still gets to open a suprise package, you get romance points, and she gets a gun she is more likely to become proficient with.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So just to make sure we are all on the same page...

She shot something, didnt like it, and you are going to buy it her as a gift?

This can only end well.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To make sure you guys are on the same page as I am; she shot a .22, liked it a little, shot something more than a .22, and didn't like it. I could put a .380, a 9mm, .40, etc in her hands, and she isn't going to like it. I'm not looking to get her anything she will enjoy shooting because she simply doesn't enjoy shooting. Heck, she has held some of my guns, even the light ones, and says she doesn't understand how I carry one around all day.

I am leaning towards the LCR not simply just because of the price, but the trigger too. Realistically, she will not spend the time on learning how to manipulate the trigger like people like us will. The LCR trigger is lighter than most revolver triggers I have experienced, but still heavy enough that it wont go off by "accident."

This gun is going to spend 8760 of 8766 hours of the year in the bed side table on her side of the bed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would really look at the SP101. See what you think of the trigger.

I'm not a revolver person yet, but it is certainly more appealing for me as a starting point.

Can get the .357 and use it for .38 special.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Don't be angry at me but one of the biggest mistakes made is having someone choose a firearms for someone else.

Individuals should choose their own and only after trying and shooting several different ones. This doesn't mean that no one should offer suggestions and/or education, but the final decision should be all theirs. The end results of someone choosing for them is usually that they don't like it or they may even become afraid of it and just leave it at home in the safe...

The weapon he/she chooses should be one he/she is comfortable with and be able to use appropriately. Caliber will also have a big impact because of one has too much recoil for him/her, then follow-up shots would be too slow in addition to maybe becoming afraid of it or just not liking it...

I'm not saying its a good self-defence/CCW weapon, but see if you can have her try to the Walther PK380 (not the PPK). You can consider this a medium sized 380 handgun. Recoil is quite low and the design allows for a really easy slide pull. It also has a very comfortable grip and an additional safety on the slide (similar to a 1911 as far as location).

Here is a XDTalk.com thread on the PK380:
If I remember correctly, the manufacturer does not recommend using +p or +p+ ammo in the PK380.

Like I stated above, I don't have any backup documentation to state that the PK380 is a good, reliable CCW option or not; but, it was what my wife was comfortable with (especially with racking the slide). She also wanted a firearm with an additional safety. At the time, they even had an option for one with a pink frame, but she decided on the all black. I don't know if the pink frame option is even still available or not, but I saw a used one (I think) listed out on Gun Broker yesterday.

If he/she ends up liking it, he/she can slowly move up to larger calibers as his/her skills and education improve over time.

A lot of new shooters usually start out firing .22 and then move up from there.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
To make sure you guys are on the same page as I am; she shot a .22, liked it a little, shot something more than a .22, and didn't like it. I could put a .380, a 9mm, .40, etc in her hands, and she isn't going to like it. I'm not looking to get her anything she will enjoy shooting because she simply doesn't enjoy shooting. Heck, she has held some of my guns, even the light ones, and says she doesn't understand how I carry one around all day.

I am leaning towards the LCR not simply just because of the price, but the trigger too. Realistically, she will not spend the time on learning how to manipulate the trigger like people like us will. The LCR trigger is lighter than most revolver triggers I have experienced, but still heavy enough that it wont go off by "accident."

This gun is going to spend 8760 of 8766 hours of the year in the bed side table on her side of the bed.
Then buy her a power saw :p

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Or a 22 caliber rifle. IMO if she fires that LCR just once you will find out that you've flushed about 200 dollars right down the toilet, because when you try and return it you'll be offered about 150 for it. So, when you are flushing money down the toilet, what's your preference. Do you like to do it with 10 dollar bills one at a time or do you toss in a couple of 100 dollar bills and watch them diisappear in one flush?

Seriously, that is exactly what you are contemplating. IF you want to play it smarter, hit the web site for Bud's Gun Shop and look for a used S&W model 10 or 64. Yeah, it's a lot heavier, however that mass will make the recoil much much easier for a new shooter to handle. If the trigger is too heavy for her "feminine self", teach her how to cock the gun and shoot it in single action. While it's not an ideal solution if she starts scoring good hits it might get her interested enough to start devloping some hand strength. Which she will most assuradely need if you ever have any children. BTW, the S&W K frames can be tuned to function with perfect reliability with a 9 lbs. DA trigger which isn't that heavy.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts

Wow Ranger. How many red flags do you need to see? A gun not used by her, is a gun used by her assailant.
With all due respect, this is nuts.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
That's a nice thought. However, you need to make sure what SHE wants.
Agreed
if it is too snapy for her you can always keep it for youself

1 - 20 of 30 Posts