Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the search bar here but no post showed up. Anyways, I'm in the market for one of these little snub nose hand cannons. A LGS has one for $430 NIB +tax. Is this a right price on the gun? What do they usually go for? Are they reliable? Any positive or negative feedback from owners? Pros/cons? I really like the look of this gun and like having the 357/38 option. Any long term issues with full house 357 loads? Cylinder flame? Crimp jumping? Basically what's the deal with it? Is it a good buy for EDC/HD

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My buddy won one of these from Ruger about a year ago. I didn't shoot it but I got to hold it and if felt really good in the hand. He said the he wouldn't shoot 357 out for range and practice only SD. That gun was short and didn't way much. Check Budsgunshop.com and gunbroker.com for price comparisons.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have the LCR .38 spcl., and I love it. It's my yard/shop pocket gun. It's reliable and as accurate as any 2" barrel can be. I shoot +p from it for SD. I'll tell ya, the .357 mag. version is gonna kick like a drunken mule. Get the soft rubber grips, the Crimson Trace are too hard and just won't do the job. Ruger rates this gun for any type of commercial ammo, and I wouldn't worry about anything you mentioned. You WILL get a lot of "flash-bang" from a 2" .357 mag., but that's expected. I'd carry the heavy loads, a 158 gr. JHP. The magnum caliber was designed to shoot a heavy bullet, so take advantage of that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Full 357's out of that are going to be excruciating ! Small and J-framed snubbies are torture to shoot 357's out of them ! If it were a medium frame it's not too bad.
If your going to carry 38 +P then I wouldn't worry but even they are a bit bitey in a small snub. If you want to carry a 357 that bad your better off with a medium frame like the S&W 66, 686, Ruger GP in 3 inch, and so on. The 66 was perfect and S&W dicontinued them. That was a bad move, it was one of their best sellers ! Sometimes S&W don't make no sense ! Of course the guns listed are going to be bigger than the LCR, but at the same time you'll get 6 shots and better control. Did you ever consider the 327 Magnum ? The guns are the same size as a 38 snub, hold 6 rounds and hit with a lot of energy, more than the 38 special ! May be worth a look ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
HI KC,
I have a S & W 36 .38 spcl snubnose. I practice with light handloaded ammo. I carry it as heavy a load as I can buy factory ammo. Who cares how much recoil and noise it is going to make in a SD situation? IMHO.

keep your powder dry,

Max

·
Registered
803 Posts
Tried the search bar here but no post showed up. Anyways, I'm in the market for one of these little snub nose hand cannons. A LGS has one for $430 NIB +tax. Is this a right price on the gun? What do they usually go for? Are they reliable? Any positive or negative feedback from owners? Pros/cons? I really like the look of this gun and like having the 357/38 option. Any long term issues with full house 357 loads? Cylinder flame? Crimp jumping? Basically what's the deal with it? Is it a good buy for EDC/HD

Owned one for a few months, love it no issues at all..only reason I had to let it go the recoil was just too damn much after just 20 rounds or so. I made a mistake thinking I could take this one to the range often, I WAS WRONG.id this is going to be a EDC for you its perfect im a range guy..not a range gun has alot of bang nice Hogue grip on it, one tiny thing I didnt like on it was the finish. I paid close to 500 after tax, the .38's on the other hand shoot very nice. Good conceal revolver due to its weight. You can PM if you have any other detail questions about it. But Id go for it!!! I will give it 9 out 10!! Funny nickname my cousin came up after shooting the Ruger .357, he asked my last month if I still haD "that hippo gun" LOL

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Keep in mind this isn't a "take it to the range and shoot a hundred through it" gun. In a gunfight, you have 5 rounds to get the job done. Unless you have a lot of distance and/or a lot of cover, you won't have time to reload. Most people can shoot 5 .357 mags with only a slightly sore hand afterwards. I submit that, in the adrenaline rush of the situation, you won't feel the recoil until afterwards. Were I to do it again, I'd get the magnum over the spcl - the extra bullet weight and velocity is worth it to me. But, that being said, I'm an experienced magnum shooter and I know what to expect and how to handle the recoil.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I love my LCR in .357. I mainly shoot .38's through it but I did brave through 15 rounds of .357 and my hand paid for it. It was fun though. I figure if I'm out in the woods I'll keep it loaded with .357 but out in the urban jungle .38+p will do just fine.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Great piece, I used to have one. Its not something you want to take to the range and shoot all day. Its not built for that. But, it is a nice backup or ankle piece. I used to carry mine in my pocket. I just got tired of that chunky thing getting knocked around. I also felt five rounds wasn't enough. Overall it is a great little firearm!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess i'm gonna have to get one cause yall talked me into it. at least thats what i'll tell the wife. Now all i got to do is find one around here in WNC. called around yesterday with no luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts