Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys my wife shot my xdm and likes it better then her lc9 now she wants to sell it and get a different gun. I was looking online and found a trigger kit that is 50% less travel and a little lighter on pull. Also looking into a new stainless guild rod and a recoil spring. Total for upgrades in about $150.

My questions is has anyone done the Galloway trigger kit?
Was it a straight forward swap?
Did the gun shoot better after swapping?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I don't know about the trigger kit but, Ruger came out with the lc9s very recently. It is a striker fired version and is supposed to have a lighter, crisper trigger. Maybe it would be worth it to look into the new version before forkin out that kind of dough for the trigger kit. I guess Ruger figured they better get this "upgraded" version out before Glock comes out with their single stack 9mm and takes over the market. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Personally, if your wife can operate the XDm better and feels more comfortable shooting it, then get her one or give her yours. If this for her self defense, get the best you can afford. If the gun is for recreational shooting, then the spring kit may be an option. I put one in my LC9 and it did alter the trigger action nicely, but I still didn't like the double action pull and got rid of the gun.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I would look into the LC9s. The guys at my LGS said the trigger is supposed to be much better.

Personally, I wouldn't put another $150 into a sub $400 gun (I'm not exactly sure how much they cost??).

Best of luck.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Yes there is a trigger kit.

Isn't a XDm a lot bigger than a LC9?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Yes there is a trigger kit.

Isn't a XDm a lot bigger than a LC9?
Yes and prob why she shot it better. But then I am not a fan of the ergonomics of the LC9 and why I have a shield on order.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Yes and prob why she shot it better. But then I am not a fan of the ergonomics of the LC9 and why I have a shield on order.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I wanted to make sure I wasn't full of beans before I said what you did. She found a nice bigger more comfortable gun easier to shoot? Well, so do I but I don't like carrying big guns everyday. Maybe I need a purse!

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I know it is larger, but the SR9c is a sweet shooter.
IMHO it is one of the best pistols Ruger every produced. It is also why I am greatly irritated that they have never made a SR45c.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I wanted to make sure I wasn't full of beans before I said what you did. She found a nice bigger more comfortable gun easier to shoot? Well, so do I but I don't like carrying big guns everyday. Maybe I need a purse!
Wait you don't have one?

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
IMHO it is one of the best pistols Ruger every produced. It is also why I am greatly irritated that they have never made a SR45c.
I'm patiently waiting on the SR45c as well. My 9c is a tack driving shooter, and it is bone stock, right down to the sights.

Maybe soon??

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
My questions is has anyone done the Galloway trigger kit?
Was it a straight forward swap?
Did the gun shoot better after swapping?
I did it. Trigger bar, RTK Short Stroke Trigger, 20lbs recoil spring on the stainless rod.

Straight forward swap on trigger bar, in my case?? NO! Would not run right out of the box. Went on to do some of the specialized filing on the trigger bar, and could never get it to be reliable. Ended up removing it and returning to the stock bar.

RTK short stroke: Left it in and it works fine on the stock bar, reducing some of the trigger travel due to it's shape.

20lbs spring on stainless rod: Works great on both target and +P loads.

Would I recommend it, or do it again today?? NO. Not with the release of the new LC9s, or other single stack 9's out there now. If you really like the LC9, learn to master it, and live with it. If not, save your money, sell it, and move into the S model, or another fine single stack choice. With the release of the new S model I feel it makes ours virtually worthless, so it makes a good tool box beater gun for me. I like mine for what it is, and carry it occasionally when the need calls, but that's all.

AllahGlockbar!

Just me 2 cents worth. YMWV.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I'm patiently waiting on the SR45c as well. My 9c is a tack driving shooter, and it is bone stock, right down to the sights.

Maybe soon??
Iv'e been feeling up the SR9c for the last few weeks and has moved to the top of my short list. This is a excellent pistol, for both lefty's and righty's that cohabit. It has not received the respect that it deserves.

SR45c?? Now that would be cooking with gas! :p

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Iv'e been feeling up the SR9c for the last few weeks and has moved to the top of my short list. This is a excellent pistol, for both lefty's and righty's that cohabit. It has not received the respect that it deserves.

SR45c?? Now that would be cooking with gas! :p
You can pick up a new 9c around my area for $379 + tax, which is a good deal. I paid $419 for mine a few years ago. It's weird, but I prefer the 9c over my wife's SR9. The trigger seems better in the 9c :confused:

She loves her SR9. I like knowing she has 18 rounds of 124gr HST at the ready. She carries safety off, so she is ready to go should a sitch-e-a-shun arise ;)

The rumor of a 45c has been on the Ruger forum for the last year or so. Here's to hoping...I'll order one the moment I can!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
No reason to mess with the recoil spring and guide rod on it unless you're gonna hand load for it so that'd be money ill spent.

Can't speak for trigger kits on them though. I'd imagine the hammer is gonna hit lighter too though so that might lead to light strikes on certain ammo.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Grabagun has the striker LC9s for 351.00. At that price I can't see why you'd want to invest more money into the old model.

Like NETex says, the old models are worth little to nothing. Make it a toolbox gun and buy something new.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The lc9 is suppose to be her edc but after shooting my xdm she wants either a trigger kit or new gun.

I don't think I can get much for trade in and or selling it out right so I might have to try the kit.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I don't know about the trigger kit but, Ruger came out with the lc9s very recently. It is a striker fired version and is supposed to have a lighter, crisper trigger. Maybe it would be worth it to look into the new version before forkin out that kind of dough for the trigger kit. I guess Ruger figured they better get this "upgraded" version out before Glock comes out with their single stack 9mm and takes over the market. Good luck.

I just purchased a Ruger LC9s Friday. Haven't been able to fire it yet, but the trigger is something to behold . It appears to be between 4 and 5 lbs and is silky smooth, better than my Glocks with $250 fulcrum trigger groups. Holsters, magazines and CT from LC9 fit, nothing else to buy. Ruger has a winner there. Goodbye LC9-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok we went to our gun safety training course and one of the guys in class had sr9. She held it and loves its feel and trigger pull. So we went back to were we bought the LC9 and traded it in for a SR9. We will be picking it up Thursday to pay off the difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts