Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide if I want to get a laser sighting system like the Internal lazermax or something like the M6. Or just get a good set of night sights and spend the money elsewhere like a Don's guide rod or a trigger job.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to Georgia range and gun to look and see what they had in stock up there for night sights. And they once again proved why I have'nt spent a dime in there for 3 years. The are so not willing to help you.

I will see what Autreys has in store for me tomorrow...I beleive I am gonna get the night sights a little more practical and the trigger job. As far as Ammo I have plenty I bought out a going out if business hardware store of all their ammo I got stuff I don't own guns for...yet

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
xd4life said:
Or just get a good set of night sights and spend the money elsewhere like a Don's guide rod or a trigger job.

spend money on training FIRST.... equipment SECOND.

1) MINDSET 2) TACTICS 3) SHOOTING SKILLS and then 4) GEAR

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been shooting handguns for a while and I have took 2 different shooting classes a few years ago when I was more interested in IDPA type matches. And my training spending 4 years as a SP in the AF helps a little.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
xd4life said:
I am trying to decide if I want to get a laser sighting system like the Internal lazermax or something like the M6. Or just get a good set of night sights and spend the money elsewhere like a Don's guide rod or a trigger job.
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I do not know why you want these things but I will assume that they are for home defense.

Police carry these since they have back-up and do not want to shoot each other in tight spaces so laser accurate aim and light for proper target ID is needed. But this comes at the risk of revealing your position when you activate the laser or flashlight. The flashlight is even more revealing than the laser. Police, as I said have back-up, so if one goes down then others will defend and ultimately evacuate him or her. They also have the liability of shooting an innocent so must take every measure to ensure the protection of the innocent even to the detrement of their own safety. You will probably be alone in a home defense situation and know that anyone you encounter is a threat, or at least you are the only armed defender actively seeking the intruder so it is even more imperative that you not be the first one spotted, which usually translates to the first one to get hit.

For this reason I would go with night sights. They give you a slight advantage in low-light and do not give away your location. However as another post said, training and shooting are the best. After a while of good practice you will instinctually know your gun's POA and not need the night sights. They also are only really necessary in close to or total darkness. Some ambient light such as the moon in a window or some nightlights will be enough to get a good aim without night sights.

With that said i still prefer night sights on my guns and was wanting some of your suggestions. I am leaning towards the Heinie Straight 8 Night Sights or the Ameriglo speed ring. What would some of you suggest or what are your experiences with either? Also suggestions beyond these two choices are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
xd4life said:
I have been shooting handguns for a while and I have took 2 different shooting classes a few years ago when I was more interested in IDPA type matches. And my training spending 4 years as a SP in the AF helps a little.

cool... your good to go then.

i didnt know if you were new to firearms or not, just wanted to get the right advice accross. :)

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly what I was thinking that the night sights were more practical but hte M6 has the WOW effect.

So after looking over my options I am waiting for tru Glo to put out their triangle sight out. Right now only available for glock

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have night sights on any gun I carry outside of my house,and thats why my XD stays at home for now, but inside my home the XD dose have one of those fancy new Surefire X-200 lights. I'm not LEO so I'm not out clearing dark buildings, and don't have to worry about giving away my location, but in my house I want to know what I'm shooting at (wife, child, child's boyfriend, dumb dog, dummer cat). When I carry on the street I want to be able to see my sights, and if I need to identify a target I don't leave home without a Surefire Z2 combatlight.
I do also carry a S&W airweight with Crimsom Trace Lasergrips as a backup in a pocket. (Yeah I konw my wife tells me I carry to much crap too, but it's only crap until you need it) I just don't rely on the laser as an alternative to knowing how to aim.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
...I want to know what I'm shooting at (wife, child, child's boyfriend, dumb dog, dummer cat)...
I am just speaking of myself. I live alone so I do not have to worry much about letting loose in my own house. I was in the military and still have some of the quirks that were drilled into me, such as knowing ranges in my own house and walking my house in the dark to get down where everything is at so I do not bump into it at night when I need to be quiet. These are some things I do that let me see the tac-lights as more of a luxury. In your case I can see where a light would be necessary to avoid the tragedy of killing a loved one.

Also, whether they are necessary or not I put night sights on every gun I own. It is very possible to get down your gun's POA and shoot it effectively at night without night sights but they are so much easier. The cost of night sights is probably cheaper than the cost of ammo would be for enough practice to get down nightshooting without them. Hell, why not do both there is always more ammo! But in all honesty I would probably carry the 12 ga beside my bed with the XD as back-up were I forced to repel a home invasion.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The coolest thing about my 12 gauge is as long I hold the trigger it fires as fast as I pump

1 - 13 of 13 Posts