Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to custom building AR's, I see a wide range of opinions regarding quality of different companies. I'd like to hear you experienced LEO's and Military folks chime in here. What does a 'serious' combat AR mean to you?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You realize that gubment, and most other contracts, always go to the lowest bidder. The end user has no say (on average) on what they get issued. It's some accountant who decides. I mean, I wanted a flame thrower, but they just said no.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You realize that gubment, and most other contracts, always go to the lowest bidder.
You must not deal with miltary contracts much, as most people make this statement, with really not knowing the truth. There are several times we will get items that are a bit higher priced than the lower if we have a valid reason, such as the cheaper ones are crap, the lack warranty support, the color doesn't match what we need, the list goes on. But you find that people love to say this all the time, or the fact that we over pay for things all the time. In nearly every instance I have had dealt with first hand, this is not true.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
When it comes to custom building AR's, I see a wide range of opinions regarding quality of different companies. I'd like to hear you experienced LEO's and Military folks chime in here. What does a 'serious' combat AR mean to you?
If you won't crawl through the mud, sand, rain, or snow with it because you're afraid it will mess something up, it isn't a serious combat rifle.

Also, if you won't grind your rifle into the ground to roll over to a new position or smash the butt into something solid because it might break something, it isn't a serious combat rifle.

If you can do all that, you're good to go.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you won't crawl through the mud, sand, rain, or snow with it because you're afraid it will mess something up, it isn't a serious combat rifle.

Also, if you won't grind your rifle into the ground to roll over to a new position or smash the butt into something solid because it might break something, it isn't a serious combat rifle.

If you can do all that, you're good to go.

I like this answer

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Make sure you get the items that will do what you want to do and no compromises. If you get a rail system make sure you understand the shape of the slots and which accessories you want to put on it; my buddy bought a $150 rail system that has a channel running through the center of the rail (can't remember what that rail type is called) and paid 50 for a foregrip that has a post come up from the center of the grip that just so happens to be smaller than the channel and the grip will move the entire length of the handguard while it's attached.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts