Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a SP FTF on the last outing with my XDM-40 with my #3 magazine on the last round. Ammunition was Remington UMC 180 grain. Since the #3 magazine had never seen use I took a close look at the feed lips. Found that the edges at the top were pretty sharp and had a slightly ragged edge. So, got out the diamond lapping compound on a felt wheel and polished the inner corners to a high polish.

Today I shot 10 runs with 3 round loads in the #3 magazine and the function was flawless. For the balance of the session I ran another 45 rounds through the XDm shooting 5 shot strings for accuracy in slow fire, where function was also flawless.

BTW, I intentinally did NOT clean the XDm between outings. One reason was that I wanted to be able to examine the pattern left on the feed ramp in the soot. Looking at this when I got home showed that the rounds were being fed well with very little wandering. There was a nice tight little shiny spot in the center of the feed ramp which bodes well for reliability.

At this point I am starting to suspect that it's the magazines that need breaking in, not the pistol. Because the magazines that have the most use on them have proven to be the most reliable. Since I have a total of 10 magazines my next step will be to do a bit of polishing on those magazines that have not yet seen any use. Then I plan on qualifying each magazine with the most problem prone ammo that I have encountered, Speer Gold Dot LE 165 gr. JHP. If the XDm passes that test, I'll consider it 100% reliable with any thing I can feed it.

I also ran 75 rounds through my Sig P239-40 and can only say that I am really getting to like this pistol. At one point I ran the target back to 40 feet and shot off the bench, which produced 5 hits in the X ring and a pattern 1 inch wide and 1.25 inch high.

What was a pain was that I wanted to run speed drills today. Unfortunately, the range got busy and once it filled I was asked to practice using slow fire only, they didn't want the newbies getting any ideas. So I spent most of my time with the Sig practicing with it in Double Action by decocking between shots. I now know that it's an area where I need work, hits were 75% 9's and 20% 8's with some flyers but I was pulling nearly everything left. So, less finger on the trigger even if it does feel a bit insecure against that 10 lbs. of pull.

All in all, it ws a pretty good day at the range. I think that I may have found a clue in making my XDm more reliable and shot pretty well. Both pistols functioned flawlessly and I confirmed that the Sig is shooting right at the point of aim.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I have put almost 800 rounds through mine without a single problem. I have used any type of target ammo that I have been able to find, including blazer brass, wwb, pmc, and selliet and bellot. I've also tried a few types of defense ammunition and every single round has gone flawlessly. Makes me feel pretty confident about this purchase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts