·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Dude, what happened to you avatar ?
LOL

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I've spent thousands over the last few years getting just "somewhat" prepared. I still spend between $400 and $500 a month getting things to use when the "S" hits the "F". I feel that what I have done will get me and my wife to safe haven, if the bottom totally drops out, and keep us going if things just get a little out of kilter. However, I still don't feel absolutely adequately prepared. If I were just beginning, I believe I would be overwhelmed. I'm really glad I got most of the essentials long ago when it was so much easier.

Having said that, it really is never too late. Just getting some food and water put back, and a means of defending yourself, is a good start and keep building on it. Within months you'd be surprised at how much you've done.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
^^^ True words radio, one does not really need to go out and buy the premade 1 year kits for everyone, start with a little each month, then at 6 month intervals do complete inventory of everything, you will see this little list grow by leaps and bounds, however I will say, if you have not started yet, I would suggest doing so, and fast.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Lol I hope its not too late to get started. I have been slowly coming to terms with the fact that I am not ready for a SHTF scenario. My wife and I have started getting Bottled Water and storing it in a cool dark area. We are newly weds and don't have a lot of money so we try to get one thing every time we go to the grocery store. Figure it is better than nothing. My biggest concern is water. What kind of portable water filters are worth having?

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I've spent thousands over the last few years getting just "somewhat" prepared. I still spend between $400 and $500 a month getting things to use when the "S" hits the "F". I feel that what I have done will get me and my wife to safe haven, if the bottom totally drops out, and keep us going if things just get a little out of kilter. However, I still don't feel absolutely adequately prepared. If I were just beginning, I believe I would be overwhelmed. I'm really glad I got most of the essentials long ago when it was so much easier.

Having said that, it really is never too late. Just getting some food and water put back, and a means of defending yourself, is a good start and keep building on it. Within months you'd be surprised at how much you've done.

i got my awakening 3 years ago and only started being motivated last year. sure I started thinking about extra charcoal and cans of stuff but buying weapons and ammo and thinking long term storage has only been since last year.

thinking how we were 3 years ago before I started amping up vs how we are today I would definitely say we would be better off in a disaster though I feel we are not yet at an optimal level.

I have shorter term goals and some longer term goals. I'm still a few steps away from a major goal being completed but it will get done by next spring.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yeah, after i started reading the SHFT section of this forum i realized how far behind i was. i've since started stocking up on things and do feel behind, however i know tons of people/family that aren't doing a thing.

i've been putting a list together of things i want/need and am slowly checking them off. i just bought 1000 rns of ammo so i feel better in that department. now it's on to food/water.

the hard part for me is i have kids. most likely i won't be able to take off if things get bad since they're so little. i do have a decent network of like minded friends though and we're all in about a 10-15 mile radius of each other so we'll be able to help each other out.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I can't imagine how anyone could get ready in a short period of time. Buying supplies is one thing, but building up your knowledge database takes a while.
that's one of the main reasons i feel overwhelmed sometimes. if i really wanted to i could go out tomorrow and buy everything myself and my family needs to last 6 months. but knowing how/what/why/when to do things is what's taking time.

i'm doing what i can when i can and that's about all i can do right now. i hope if it gets bad it doesn't happen for a year or two at least. that way i'll have ample supplies, hopefully enough knowledge, and my kids will be older and a little easier to manage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just now started trying to prepare the past month or so. It won't be as tough as me, considering I'm single with no kids, so only myself to worry about. However, after all the monthly bills, I'm always short on cash so I can't spend very much. Just recently I've been adding a few things here and there to my Amazon cart. I figure each month I'll check out with about $40 worth of essentials.

Last month was a big one because I bought myself a bag to store some of it in. This month will be the basic stuff and then I'll just keep adding from there. A little bit each paycheck. I'm also buying a box or two of .223 rounds for my AR each month.

·
Registered
837 Posts
that's one of the main reasons i feel overwhelmed sometimes. if i really wanted to i could go out tomorrow and buy everything myself and my family needs to last 6 months. but knowing how/what/why/when to do things is what's taking time.

i'm doing what i can when i can and that's about all i can do right now. i hope if it gets bad it doesn't happen for a year or two at least. that way i'll have ample supplies, hopefully enough knowledge, and my kids will be older and a little easier to manage.
Sorry about that, I took my post down to add something and got so busy I forgot to post again. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. In the end there is only so much we all can do. We have to be knowledgeable in guns, ammo, optics, communication, power supplies, solar, food storage, camping, camping supplies, shelter, clothing, lighting, tools, first aid, the list goes on and on.

The good news is I honestly feel we have time. I'm not sure how much time, but we sure are ahead of the game compared to a lot of people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lol I hope its not too late to get started. I have been slowly coming to terms with the fact that I am not ready for a SHTF scenario. My wife and I have started getting Bottled Water and storing it in a cool dark area. We are newly weds and don't have a lot of money so we try to get one thing every time we go to the grocery store. Figure it is better than nothing. My biggest concern is water. What kind of portable water filters are worth having?
Water Storage - High Capacity Water Storage | SureWater

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Just get three or four 5gal water bottles. Fill them, and set them aside. That will provide water if there is a water main break, or temporary stop in local water and sewage. I have four of these, which I refill once a year. Keeps 20gal of water ready, which will provide water for drinking and cooking for about two weeks, for two people. That will cost around $50 to get in place. Many Walmarts, and Home Depots have the bottles, both prefilled and empty.

Reverse Osmosis water filtering systems are good for long term filtering. They will completely clean even the dirtiest water coming in on city lines, and you can easily rig them for filtering collected water in a major SHTF event. A good adequate setup runs about $300 and can be easily installed either by yourself, if you're handy, or by a plumber for maybe an additional $100. I've seen them sold at Walmart, and Home Depot.

Those are two easy and relatively inexpensive ways to be set for shortages of clean water. I actually have both. I also keep a bottle of bleach for sanitizing water prior to filtering it.

The Walmart sporting goods & hunting depts are places to find portable water filtration devices for BOBs, too. Quality, name brands are usually in the $30 to $50 range. I've picked up a couple good ones on clearance for my BOBs.

Getting some backup water in place is probably the easiest, and least expensive prep. Also, one of the most important. There are many other good solutions to keeping clean water available. The ones mentioned above are what I have done.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yeah, i have the RO system already installed and i've been looking into ways to store water. i live in a cookie cutter area in the desert so anything that i want to last has to stay within my walls.

that's unfortunate too because my floor plan had an optional fourth bedroom that we didn't do so i have a huge space for storage in my garage. but it gets close over 90 degrees in the summer so if i left anything in there it wouldn't last.

i do have some high ceilings though and a couple big closets so i'll be building shelves that run around the perimeter of each area so i can store more stuff up there.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I got some 5 gal collapsible water jugs on sale for like 5 bucks each. A spare gallon of straight bleach (no scent). For $20 you can have a secure water reserve. That would be the best place to start.

There are also lots of items around the house that can be re-purposed cheaply. I save drier lint for tinder. Also stuff it into paper egg cartons, then fill the pockets with wax to make fire starters. Great for camping as well.

But "last minute" leaves little time, best to do the grunt work in advance.
One of the best things you can do is to prep a plot of ground for a garden. Till the soil up, add the lime and other amendments needed. If you have DRY storage area, put in a few bags of fertilizer for when it's impossible to get. Make your own mulch pile of leaves, sticks, grass clippings etc. If your neighbors rake leaves or collect grass clippings, see if they need a place to dump them. That stuff will turn into prime growing soil in 2-6 months depending on how moist you keep it. Dump in a few worms under it and you will have an endless supply of crawlers for fishing. Buy canning supplies and lay up your own store of food. Around here, the old codgers (of which I am morphing into!) can venison and other meats/fish too. It used to be common that people had 5-6 months worth of home canned food in the basement. I can tell you that doing it yourself is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts