Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I will be sending my Xdm 9 for a trigger job and night sights.

I am stuck between Springer Precision and Springfield's custom shop. I have mulled this over and can't make up my mind. Here is my list of pros and cons. Thoughts, advice, flip a coin? Also, are there any other modifications that Springer makes to the pistol other than needing to get rid of the takedown feature?

Springer:

Pros:

Possibly better trigger job
Have the Dawson Sights
Faster Turnaround

Cons:
Removal of the safety takedown (no trigger pull....not really a big deal)
Not covered under the same warranty as the pistol

Springfield:

Pros:

Completely covered under warranty
Does not change the takedown

Cons:

Not sure if they reduce takeup, or just pull weight and reset/overtravel. Will email to find out, but I definitely want the take-up shortened .
Would need to order the dawsons and have them shipped to me to send with the gun....or use Springfields custom night sights.....but I prefer the dawsons
Might take longer (should not be deciding factor)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
why would scott need to remove the takedown??? and what are you talkin about? He did my triggerjob and everythings the same mechanically basically..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why would scott need to remove the takedown??? and what are you talkin about? He did my triggerjob and everythings the same mechanically basically..

Well, maybe I am mistaken. But from reading other posts, the way their parts work, they need to remove the feature that allows the XDm to be field stripped without pulling the trigger. As I said, it's not a deal breaker, but a factor to consider.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I went with Springer and I am getting ready to send him a second M. You are correct in that you do need to pull the trigger to field strip the pistol. Your decision will be much easier if you take a look at the parts that Springer uses vs modifying factory parts (SPringfield). There is no comparison. I doubt you could ever wear or break anything that Scott uses.

ranburr

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also should not rule out Powder river, and other custom shops. I don't want to start a flame war over which shop is better, but I'd like to hear other opinions too. It's alot of money to get a trigger job and night sights with shipping charges....so I want to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
hmmmm.... I think the Stock trigger on the M is perfect. . . 0_0:confused:
Thats a good thing. It means that you can save some money. I have never found an out of the boc XD anything trigger that I liked. Then again, (other than a few custom 1911s), I haven't found many out of the box triggers that I could live with on any gun.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Thats a good thing. It means that you can save some money. I have never found an out of the boc XD anything trigger that I liked. Then again, (other than a few custom 1911s), I haven't found many out of the box triggers that I could live with on any gun.

ranburr
All BS aside, the PRP trigger in my XD is the closest trigger I have to a 1911 in a striker fired gun. And, you will not have to give up the small advantange of no trigger pull for takedown.

I HAVE NOT tried a Springer trigger on an XDM, but I have on an XD (both bar and sear), and I prefer the PRP by a good margin. I found it to be lighter, crisper and shorter on both ends.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Personally I favor the PRP method but between Springer and SA I would go with Scott he does great work and you will still have your original parts should you want to change back. I believe SA reworks your original part with their tune job.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, but in my opinion, if this is a self-defense gun, it seems it would be easier to justify having the original manufacturer adjust the trigger rather than a third party. I can just image some prosecutor or sleazy plantiff's lawyer playing up the fact that you had your gun made "more unsafe" or "deadlier" by going to a 3rd party.

This is, of course, not to meant to impugn the work done by reputable gun smiths, responsible gun owners, or even all plaintiff's lawyers. Additionally, this is admittedly a worst case scenario in which, I pray you, or anyone else, never find yourself. But it's a hang-up I can't get over when it comes to self-defense guns.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've just sent my new XDM 9mm to Rich at Canyon Creek. Rich uses the OEM trigger parts for his tuning, so the breakdown process is unaltered. He can get the total trigger travel down to 1/4" and the pull weight down as low as 1.5lbs. Turnaround time on his work is 2-3 weeks.

Prior to sending him my weapon, I inquired about purchasing the Powder River kit and sending that to him for installation. His reply was that the PR kit - admittedly an excellent product - did not permit as much trigger travel reduction as the OEM parts.

Give him a call for more info. Very nice guy.

Canyon Creek Custom - Firearms for the Sportsman

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I've just sent my new XDM 9mm to Rich at Canyon Creek. Rich uses the OEM trigger parts for his tuning, so the breakdown process is unaltered. He can get the total trigger travel down to 1/4" and the pull weight down as low as 1.5lbs. Turnaround time on his work is 2-3 weeks.

Prior to sending him my weapon, I inquired about purchasing the Powder River kit and sending that to him for installation. His reply was that the PR kit - admittedly an excellent product - did not permit as much trigger travel reduction as the OEM parts.

Give him a call for more info. Very nice guy.

Canyon Creek Custom - Firearms for the Sportsman
I think Daniel might not have been as clear as he could have been. I have fired several CC guns. They can't touch my PRP trigger. But, just my opinion,,,,and it is biased, due to experience, I think, but biased, nonetheless. CC certainly makes the nicey springs.

Reducing trigger pull involves three springs (trigger,sear, stiker saftey)...which cannot be tuned, and multiple friction points (sear-striker, sear/sear pin, lever/striker safety et al) I'd be curious how you change that significantly without changing a spring. Buffing only gets you so far.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, but in my opinion, if this is a self-defense gun, it seems it would be easier to justify having the original manufacturer adjust the trigger rather than a third party. I can just image some prosecutor or sleazy plantiff's lawyer playing up the fact that you had your gun made "more unsafe" or "deadlier" by going to a 3rd party.

This is, of course, not to meant to impugn the work done by reputable gun smiths, responsible gun owners, or even all plaintiff's lawyers. Additionally, this is admittedly a worst case scenario in which, I pray you, or anyone else, never find yourself. But it's a hang-up I can't get over when it comes to self-defense guns.
this doesn't apply in Castle Doctrine states because the law provides you civil immunity for lawful shooting.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

You read too many magazine articles written by a guy with a funny name and no facts to back up his claims.

ranburr

·
Registered
61 Posts
Funny... I find the stock trigger to be quite good and lends itself to be more than acceptable for accuracy in a stock gun. Not sure why everyone feels the need to get a 'trigger job' on a gun unless you are competition shooting - and even then it seems a bit like putting a big block engine in a honda. (Forgive the analogy - love the gun)

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
You read too many magazine articles written by a guy with a funny name and no facts to back up his claims.

ranburr
That's not nice!!!
I agree with your point, but having read tons of your posts, I know you can make your point without a personal attack.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just bought a XD M-40 today and I like a nice trigger... About how much can I expect to spend on a trigger job from Springer or Springfield? I could care less if I have to pull the trigger to strip it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts