Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
REC613 said:
Would you spend the $$$ for the laser?????????
I have one on a glock and a sig. I love them in combo with night sights.

They are reasonably accurate, but like any laser, you'll still be more accurate with practice and iron sights. However, they are an excellent training aid, offer some immense benefits in some real-world situations, and the best part is you don't have to worry about custom holsters or snags if you are carrying.

The lasers are definitely visible even during the daytime, and the "pulsing" effect helps that.

I should add that if they did make one for the sub-compact XD, I'd probably end up buying one of them for my XD too, eventually. 8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
davidk said:
Lasermax has a reputation of breaking and jamming the gun. i stay clear of them
I'll bite.... Where have you heard this?

I've never heard anyone who's actually used one say this has happened.

I've searched for "lasermax broke" and "lasermax breaking" and "lasermax jammed" and "lasermax jamming", and the best you'll get is "a guy told me" or "one of my friends said..."

I imagine most of this "reputation" is from fans and employees of Crimson Trace and the like... :roll:

The old Lasermaxes didn't have a captive spring, and I've heard of those flying off during disassembly, but that wouldn't affect the reliability of the gun any unless you didn't know how to reassemble your gun properly. Regardless they now have captive springs, so it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Just another expensive hi-tech toy that will not make you a better shooter and will only fail you when you need it the most. Why bother?

·
Registered
24 Posts
manygunner said:
Just another expensive hi-tech toy that will not make you a better shooter and will only fail you when you need it the most. Why bother?
Your criticism about expense can be made of all lasers built with enough quality to actually last on a gun. And the second statement seems to be a generalized fear of technology. I'm assuming you shoot revolvers because of the tendency of automatics to "only fail you when you need it most" as well?

And I'll strongly disagree with the assessment that a laser won't make you a better shooter. Using a laser is a very good training aid, as it helps paint your draw path and show any inconsistancies in your firing pattern. It's much easier to see what errors you are making (and when in your trigger pull you are making them) if you can clearly watch the effects at 25'.

Like I said in my first post, if you want to be most accurate in daytime shooting in the open, you'll still practice and use your iron sights. But there are conditions when a laser has a definite advantage. And LaserMax is nice in that it allows you to keep this advantage in reserve without having to worry about alignment, secure rail mounts, special hosters, etc.

Just remember to keep the front window clean.

·
Registered
44 Posts
jlseagull said:
manygunner said:
Your criticism about expense can be made of all lasers built with enough quality to actually last on a gun. And the second statement seems to be a generalized fear of technology. I'm assuming you shoot revolvers because of the tendency of automatics to "only fail you when you need it most" as well?

And I'll strongly disagree with the assessment that a laser won't make you a better shooter. Using a laser is a very good training aid, as it helps paint your draw path and show any inconsistancies in your firing pattern. It's much easier to see what errors you are making (and when in your trigger pull you are making them) if you can clearly watch the effects at 25'.

Like I said in my first post, if you want to be most accurate in daytime shooting in the open, you'll still practice and use your iron sights. But there are conditions when a laser has a definite advantage. And LaserMax is nice in that it allows you to keep this advantage in reserve without having to worry about alignment, secure rail mounts, special hosters, etc.

Just remember to keep the front window clean.
I have to agree with you. I have has the Lasermax in my gun now for a few months, and I love it. It is very helpful in perfecting you trigger pull and watching what the gun does while acquiring targets. Granted you can tape a laser pointer to the slide and do the same thing, but im my wife has to grab my XD to protect herself, I wouldn't trust a laser pointer;) I have been shooting it in competition for a few months also and its very fast to acquire your target, and suprisingly accurate.

Without question open sights is the best way to learn, and lasers of any type can fail, but the lasermax is a very reliable laser, and if I remember correctly the only NATO approved handgun laser. (This could have changed recently)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts