Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im looking at getting a lasermax LMS-4XD40 for christmas but i have some questions so any help would be appreciated. I have dons guide rod number 22 or something or maybe 24 i bought this gun from this site used. perfect gun. just wondering what size or LB the lasermax is or if it changes or anything just trying to get general info there site isnt that helpfull.

thanks
chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KyXD40 said:
Lasarmax replaces Don's guide rod....it is the spring which is rated with the number of pounds. You install the guide rod and use your preferred spring. The take down lever is replaced also.

http://www.lasermax-inc.com/products/lms-4xd40.php

Hope this helps
yea it sure does!

so why do people buy the guide rods? why not just get a spring? is there any advatage of certain rods?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Most of us get the guide rods because of the potential in the 40 to have a catastrophic failure of the captured guide rod and spring setup from the factory. A few hae had it happen and rendered the firearm useless. Not something I want in a defensive situation.

That being said, Don is one of the forum GOOD GUYS so most go and purchase his guide rods. I am using a DGR and a 20# Wolff spring, I also have a 22# spring but don't really notice much difference with recoil, but it is easier to rack the slide so I am using the 20#.\

This being said, I have not heard of anything bad about the lasermax rod replacement light....it would accomplish the same benefit as above with the addition of a fulltime laser not requiring a specialty holster.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
KyXD40 said:
Most of us get the guide rods because of the potential in the 40 to have a catastrophic failure of the captured guide rod and spring setup from the factory. A few hae had it happen and rendered the firearm useless. Not something I want in a defensive situation.
I've always wondered why people get replacement guide rods/springs, myself. How come I've never heard of this catastrophic failure lately? I've had almost 2k rounds through my xd and no problems as of yet. What exactally happens when the guide rod fails?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here is the story link from this board....warning! graphic pics that will make you want to immediately visit pistol-gear or ajames to purchase don's guide rod!

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=26396&start=0

Seriously though....apparently this has only been happening in the .40 from what a couple readers have said. They have advised SA, sent photos and sometimes the firearms themselves to SA. I am sure at somepoint they will improve the design, but since I carry for defensive purposes I need the reliability that comes with purchasing a VERY cheap solution!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
chupacabrachus said:
KyXD40 said:
I've always wondered why people get replacement guide rods/springs, myself. How come I've never heard of this catastrophic failure lately? I've had almost 2k rounds through my xd and no problems as of yet. What exactally happens when the guide rod fails?
My sub compact spring was coming un-screwed everyone with the recoil assmbles needs to check every time you clean to see if the end turns.The one end is threaded :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts