Springfield XD Forum banner

If you can pick ONLY ONE would it be a laser or tactical light?

• Laser

• Tactical light

• Neither

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could pick ONLY ONE would it be laser or tactical light?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
What?????

We can't pick laser WITH tactical light????? :(

OK...........................only one.........only one.........only one.

OK...............................laser.

Voted. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
My take. I voted laser, because that has to be mounted on the gun to function. I can always hold a flashlight in my other hand (using the Harries technique, which is my preferred method).

·
Registered
7 Posts
laser....the flashlight will show where you are and make you an easier target as well...but if you are in unfamiliar territory, a flashlight could help...I guess it depends on your application. Home defense where you know the layout and can hide? A laser to help make sure you are on target when you may not have a good sight picture or are stressed. Those are just my thoughts, I do not have any formal training or experience so take it for what its worth...

·
Premium Member
127,757 Posts
Tough choice, but I voted for the laser. I have an M6 laser/light combo mounted on my XD45, but I could make do with a rail mounted laser and a handheld light if I had to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I chose the laser just because the poll only called for one. If I had my choice, I would get the Viridian X5L. (I don't care if its too big; thats why I have 2 XDs)

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I voted for the light. I like to know what I'm shooting at. I'd hate to have one of my kids up somewhere in the house and shoot them thinking it was someone that broke in.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
My take. I voted laser, because that has to be mounted on the gun to function. I can always hold a flashlight in my other hand (using the Harries technique, which is my preferred method).

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Josh

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
The OP didn't specify if it was a handheld light or a weapon mounted light. ;)
A light whether handheld or mounted should come before a laser because

if you can't identify your target, do you really want to shoot it?

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
laser....the flashlight will show where you are and make you an easier target as well...but if you are in unfamiliar territory, a flashlight could help...I guess it depends on your application. Home defense where you know the layout and can hide? A laser to help make sure you are on target when you may not have a good sight picture or are stressed. Those are just my thoughts, I do not have any formal training or experience so take it for what its worth...
Only problem with this scenario is the fact that you may shoot a family member by not being able to identify the target.

A weapon mounted light will get you on target in the Home Defense ranges 99% of the time. If the light is shining on the target, you should hit it when you pull the trigger.

Another nice effect from a nice bright weapon light (in the 100+ lumens ballpark) is that if you hit the BG with the light and his vision has adapted to low light, it will stun them temporarily and disorient them. Usually for enough time for you to identify the target and make a snap decision to take the shot or not.

I guess this philosophy is why I have 4 weapons lights and ZERO lasers. I want to know who and what Im shooting should I ever have to.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts

+1million Mike...

I would hate to shoot a "BG" only to discover later that it was actually a family member making a commotion while trying to get a midnight snack.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

Don't need a tactical light to identify a target even in total darkness.

The target will be the person screaming with 2 dogs hanging off of them. I'll just shoot towards the sound. Or maybe I'll just turn on the lights and see who they are.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Here in suburbia I have enough light leakage from streetlights/neighbors that I can identify targets without needing a flashlight.

·
Super Moderator
3,145 Posts
Lasers are nice but I'd rather have a nice bright light because if I ever need it I'm sure it'll probably be at some unimaginable hour like pre-6a.m. and when I wake up my eyes usually don't work so great they're super blurry so a little red or green dot won't help me identify who is on the business end of the pistol/rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts