Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own my XDm 3.8 Compact 9mm for EDC and HD. My eyes aren't what they used to be. As a civilian with pistol experience, but not tons and tons of it, and not a competitive shooter, which way might make the most sense?

I mean, laser sounds like a no brainier and yet I guess it could get knocked out of Zero and if you depended on laser you probably aren't up to par using your sights. But if your laser is accurate seems almost fool proof.

But if you feel that hoping your laser is zeroed in isn't good enough then I must say I am intrigued by the XS Big Dot Tritium sights.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
You may want to look at Trijicon HD's; they are 3-dot, but the front sight has a bright orange or yellow ring. A few guys I know with poor eyesight seem to like them.

As for a laser--they are useful, within their limits. I would recommend the Crimson Trace grips; activation is instant when you take a firing grip; you don't have to think about flipping a switch.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
My issue with gimmicks like laser, you never learn to shoot, just pull the trigger. So what happens when the battery dies? Good night sights, some prof instruction & practice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For defense the XS Big Dot's I hear are good. Never used them on an XD(m)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the XS sights on an LCR and am happy with them. Just takes a little adjustment. Not for target shooting, however.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My issue with gimmicks like laser, you never learn to shoot, just pull the trigger. So what happens when the battery dies? Good night sights, some prof instruction & practice.
Thanks, night sights and maybe a flashlight sound like the right answer - though, as a defense only pistol I am leaning toward the Big Dot!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the XS sights on an LCR and am happy with them. Just takes a little adjustment. Not for target shooting, however.
Hey, Thanks! Sure wish there was a way to try them first - probably go ahead and get them on "Thankgiving" sale!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may want to look at Trijicon HD's; they are 3-dot, but the front sight has a bright orange or yellow ring. A few guys I know with poor eyesight seem to like them.

As for a laser--they are useful, within their limits. I would recommend the Crimson Trace grips; activation is instant when you take a firing grip; you don't have to think about flipping a switch.
Thanks, I appreciate your advice!!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Thanks, night sights and maybe a flashlight sound like the right answer - though, as a defense only pistol I am leaning toward the Big Dot!
Before you invest, go shoot someone else's gun with those sights. l Love good night sights in low light. If you can ID the target, you can hit it out to as far as you can see the target. IMO, any serious HD/CCW guns hould have night sights, with or without flashlights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts