Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the LaserMax laser guide rod replacement, vs. the CrimsonTrace grip laser. Any users of either? Pro's or Cons of one or the other. I don't want any type that mounts to my rail. I like my hosters and don't want to change them.
Could aftermarket guide rod or breakdown release cause any problems or malfunctions down the road?
:confused::?::confused: TIA

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I have read and seen in video that the Lasermax guide rod laser is NOT durable. The endpiece that butts up to the barrel is made of plastic, and it is just a matter of time before it wears enough to where you have issues, or after removing the slide and turning over, it just falls out.

It is not designed for endurance like your factory guide rod is. It is a great idea! But for $300 dollors and for what you get, I have always passed. When it is re-designed and becomes durable, I will then reconsider.

IMHO....I think your Crimson Trace is the way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read and seen in video that the Lasermax guide rod laser is NOT durable. The endpiece that butts up to the barrel is made of plastic, and it is just a matter of time before it wears enough to where you have issues, or after removing the slide and turning over, it just falls out.

It is not designed for endurance like your factory guide rod is. It is a great idea! But for $300 dollors and for what you get, I have always passed. When it is re-designed and becomes durable, I will then reconsider.

IMHO....I think your Crimson Trace is the way to go.[/QUOTE]
N.E. TX.XD...That's kind of the way I was leaning...I am questioning having aftermarket (expensive) non-proven parts in my gun that could possibly affect the functionality. CrimsonTrace will allow me to use my existing holsters too.
I appreciate your input.

When I "pull the trigger" on this, I will post with my review for others who may be on the fence.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've heard complaints about the on/off switch on the guide rod laser. It's not very durable and is in an awkward place.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I've always been surprised that with a plastic gun the manufacturers don't put a battery in the grip (li-ion rechargeable), imbed wires in the plastic to the laser tube inside the hollow guide rod (as used in XDm 9/40), have the laser turn on when the grip safety is activated. Battery could recharge in a cradle or be swapped out.

Seems like it would be a simple matter and would not add dramatically to the cost.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've always been surprised that with a plastic gun the manufacturers don't put a battery in the grip (li-ion rechargeable), imbed wires in the plastic to the laser tube inside the hollow guide rod (as used in XDm 9/40), have the laser turn on when the grip safety is activated. Battery could recharge in a cradle or be swapped out.

Seems like it would be a simple matter and would not add dramatically to the cost.

I had the same thought too, but it will never happen. I know there are a few hand guns that come with a rod laser, like the S&W Bodyguard, but I really doubt that SA will offer anything like it.

I opted for the Crimson Trace grip laser over the rod because of the durability issue, and speaking of that... I mean come on!!! PLASTIC!? Redesign the damn thing already!!! Anyways... I guess I like the CT, but it sucks that it doesn't have laser mode options -- no pulse or continuous ON, to keep the laser activated, you need to apply constant pressure on the thumb button.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I guess I like the CT, but it sucks that it doesn't have laser mode options -- no pulse or continuous ON, to keep the laser activated, you need to apply constant pressure on the thumb button.

Overall, do you recommend it? Does it help you get on target quicker? Do you feel it would aid in a home defense situation, or be a hinderance?
I'm glad you mentioned the constant pressure, I was not aware of that.

·
Registered
268 Posts

I guess I like the CT, but it sucks that it doesn't have laser mode options -- no pulse or continuous ON, to keep the laser activated, you need to apply constant pressure on the thumb button.

Overall, do you recommend it? Does it help you get on target quicker? Do you feel it would aid in a home defense situation, or be a hinderance?
I'm glad you mentioned the constant pressure, I was not aware of that.

I have yet to go shooting with it on. Once dialed in, I'm wondering how dead on it is since it is at the back and on the side of the gun, but there's no doubt that it will aid in knowing you're on your mark.

·
Registered
268 Posts
BTW -- I was wrong about the thumb button... The button at the thumb is the ON/OFF button and then you have the ACTIVATION button at the front of the grip just below the trigger guard; for me, my middle finger rests on it and there for would activate it when needed. And yes, you do have to apply constant pressure to keep the laser lit.

Now one thing that sucks, for ME at lease is that I like to use my middle finger as my trigger finger sometimes and this leaves my pointer finger resting on the side of the slide so now if I were to shoot like this, my pointer would block the laser unless I hover (not rest) my pointer finger on/over the slide. No real biggie since I shoot with both fingers, but I usually preferred using my middle finger as my trigger finger... but ehhh...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW -- I was wrong about the thumb button... The button at the thumb is the ON/OFF button and then you have the ACTIVATION button at the front of the grip just below the trigger guard; for me, my middle finger rests on it and there for would activate it when needed. And yes, you do have to apply constant pressure to keep the laser lit.

Now one thing that sucks, for ME at lease is that I like to use my middle finger as my trigger finger sometimes and this leaves my pointer finger resting on the side of the slide so now if I were to shoot like this, my pointer would block the laser unless I hover (not rest) my pointer finger on/over the slide. No real biggie since I shoot with both fingers, but I usually preferred using my middle finger as my trigger finger... but ehhh...
THANKS RONIN...I think... I'm moving back on the fence with this purchase.:(
The main reason I am considering this is because my poor eye sight. I am not a candidate for Progressive lenses or corrective surgery, so I am stuck with bi-focals. They work great for me, except shooting. I can lift my head to an uncomfortable height to see my sights with the lower lens, but cannot see downrange (target) or I can see downrange with my distance lens and cannot see my sights. This makes for a horrible sight picture and a bad shooting experience.
The reason I was considering this CrimsonTrace Laser was I thought they had a good name/reputation. It seams not many hear use them? If you are, please chime in and give me some feedback???
The rail mount seams more poular, although I am not a fan of the bulky looking thing on pistols. I have about the same amount of money invested in my holsters as in my gun and would like to continue using them, CrimsonTrace Laser grip would allow that.
I would REALLY appreciate any and all comments regarding this CrimsonTrace product, as I've been laid off two years and finally working for less than half of what I was used to bringing home. I can't afford to make any more financial mistakes. Look forward to your professional experience and opinions.

It's ok for opinions good or bad...I'm asking.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i like my ct laser on my xdm9c, its great for practice around the house and would be a valuable tool if your gun was needed in a high stress and or low light situation. only one complaint though- the purpose of the compact model is well... being compact and the ct laser adds thickness to the trigger guard effectively pushing your fingers further down the grip of the gun. in my case i have added the pearce extension and it works well, but i have found with the extended magazine in it i have much more control of the gun and can handle it without turning the laser on. with the pearce extension i find that the laser says on while im gripping the gun because the activation button is on valuable real estate where my grip has to be to accurately control the gun since it is top heavy. but all that is not necessarily a bad thing. if i ever have to use the gun with the pearce extension i know the laser will be on( as long as the battery is good!)

·
Registered
147 Posts
for your average person I do not recommend visible lasers. However people with disabilities lasers can be of great use. I wouldnt personally go with the crimson trace due to two things that if your finger is off of the trigger you cant see where you are pointing via the laser your trigger finger can easily block it secondly to activate it you have to squeeze the grip That can be as bad as a negligent discharge in giving your position away, In a dynamic stress situation you are going to be grabbing the grip VERY hard do you really want to be broadcasting your position as well?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have CTs on both my XD 45 ACP 4" and XD40 subcompact. They are great. I dialed them in at 3 meters. Just for kicks I ran the target out to 40m and had a 3" group with 5 shots using only the laser...not bad!

One can slide the index finger up just a bit and hide the laser if necessary in a combat situation. The extra 1/4" is not much to move the index finger down to the trigger when ready to engage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just saw on another thread a guy was having a problem with his turning on while in the holster whenever he bumped the gun.

I'd go with Crimson Trace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts