Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my XD45 5 Inch or my XDM9mm 3.8 inch as my home defense guns. I wear corrective lenses and would like to put a laser on each of these guns in the event I get up in the middle of the night and can't find my glasses. I would at least be able to see the red dot. I also keep a good white light with each gun.

Any recommendations for a good laser on my XD's?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
If you don't plan on carrying it I would say a crimson trace railmaster. Affordable and reliable. I'm not really a laser guy. I like weapon mounted lights. Cuda's right. Learn to point shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have the Crimson Trace Laser Guard on my XD45 4 inch and really like it. Even fits nicely in my Uncle Mikes holster. If you are not steady you may find the "dancing dot" not to your liking. When i shoot the dot moves around a little and I don't mind cause a big hole is going to show up real close to the dot. My wife tried it and absolutely hates how much the dot moves around for her. I suppose a test would be to tape a laser pointer to the gun or use one of the bore sight lasers to see if you don't mind how much the dot moves around.

Hope this helps,
Paul

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
tlr-4 . it is for compact pistols specifically. shorter profile. I love mine. never fails. the green version is like $125 more lol. great package value in the red laser though. decent light , not over saturating and reflective to the point of blinding indoors. battery life is good, get some Panasonic cr2s for practicing and some rechargeables cr2s for carry use until you have to or decide to or accidentally fire a shot with the rechargeable in it. the recoil can damage the cell and recharging it can cause major issues. fire, explosion, etc.

I have been using the same 2 rechargeabls I bought on eBay forever now, recharging and reusing for walking the dog at night etc. when I go to the range I just switch them out for real batteries or no batteries.

just an idea, but the light laser itself is superb for $111 on eBay

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Your not the only one with eye troubles. I had a friend that shot in competition and had a smith and wesson performance center 45 acp with a reflex sight similar to a 1911 in 45. His issue was when he could see the sights clearly he could not see his target, when he could see the target clearly he could not see the sights. Competition allowed him to use a reflex sight but he could not use magnification.

So, here's my advice his carry was a 38 sp with a laser. Carry gun needs a smaller laser like a grip mounted crimson trace, and home defense/ night stand gun? Simple a light laser rail mounted system. With a light laser combo you can see the light and laser at the same time. Really great combination.

Yes the lasers really do help without glasses. And check out the green lasers!! They are better for some reasons including your eyes may pick the green laser up faster than red

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
tlr-4 . it is for compact pistols specifically. shorter profile. I love mine. never fails. the green version is like $125 more lol. great package value in the red laser though. decent light , not over saturating and reflective to the point of blinding indoors. battery life is good, get some Panasonic cr2s for practicing and some rechargeables cr2s for carry use until you have to or decide to or accidentally fire a shot with the rechargeable in it. the recoil can damage the cell and recharging it can cause major issues. fire, explosion, etc.

I have been using the same 2 rechargeabls I bought on eBay forever now, recharging and reusing for walking the dog at night etc. when I go to the range I just switch them out for real batteries or no batteries.

just an idea, but the light laser itself is superb for $111 on eBay
So the recoil of a firearm can damage rechargeable battery's? Good to know. I had never been worried about this at all. I just ordered a streamlight edc flashlight. I will use rechargeable 123 lithium battery's for camping, or just constant use but planned to use fresh battery's for use with a firearm and carry

·
Registered
665 Posts
I also wear glasses and feel that a laser would be beneficial at night. I mounted a Lasermax on the rail; you simply tap the slide bar to the left or right to activate it. I paid $149.00 years ago. Today that unit is about $99.00 and they make a smaller / newer version for $149.00. I purchased mine from Natchez. Best of Luck !!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
So the recoil of a firearm can damage rechargeable battery's? Good to know. I had never been worried about this at all. I just ordered a streamlight edc flashlight. I will use rechargeable 123 lithium battery's for camping, or just constant use but planned to use fresh battery's for use with a firearm and carry
I believe it mentions it in the stream light manual, or the rechargeable batteries instructions. it's a simple fix to buying endless batteries, and mine, ultrafire off ebay run as long as the duracells. but Panasonic have outdone all I've tried so far to date. excellent batteries. pricey as hell though lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all great feedback.

I do practice point and shoot often for this exact reason. The laser IMO enhances the point and shoot method. I would still be OK if the laser failed but I would be more confident when it was working properly.

I don't like the white light mounted since it means I have to point the loaded weapon to indentify objects and people. I don't want to point that at my kids or pets. I carry a good white light separate.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Thank you all great feedback.

I do practice point and shoot often for this exact reason. The laser IMO enhances the point and shoot method. I would still be OK if the laser failed but I would be more confident when it was working properly.

I don't like the white light mounted since it means I have to point the loaded weapon to indentify objects and people. I don't want to point that at my kids or pets. I carry a good white light separate.
I have thought about that on and off as well. I finally ordered a streamlight protac 2L flashlight for carry and use with my firearm in case of a break in. I have larger and smaller flash lights but I wanted something better for use with a handgun. I don't want to put a muzzle of a firearm anywhere close to something I do not wish to shoot.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I prefer the crimson trace grip mounted laser. It allows you to use practicality any holster you can find for your gun. They are amazingly durable, hold their zero and they have awesome customer service.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Can't help you this time.

Not worth the fight, I am not a fan of lasers....
They have a very limited window of practicality that is probably not worth the cost for most people. Mine is priceless to me as a firearms instructor because I can use it to show the effects of poor marksmanship techniques/fundamentals on combat effectiveness. They can see the drop of the point of impact with improper trigger control without the distraction of live fire. They can also see the direction of the muzzle during the draw to help eliminate poor economy of motion.

etc... ect...

I also never use it while shooting unless practicing from obstructed cover/concealment (firing from under a car without the ability to get your eyes and your weapon in the same space.)

Reactions: diesel lover

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
It just boils down to training.
I can see (and have seen) the usefulness of them in a classroom setting.
Is it the red guns that have a functioning slide (won't actually fire, but I think can chamber a round) and a built in laser that is red and a green laser when you pull the trigger?
I've seen one before but it's been a few years, a really neat tool.

I have shot a few times with a laser and it was more of a distraction for me than anything. Again, with practice I could see it being useful, but I found that I was ignoring my sights altogether and just seeing the laser, and my accuracy was horrible.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
It just boils down to training.
I can see (and have seen) the usefulness of them in a classroom setting.
Is it the red guns that have a functioning slide (won't actually fire, but I think can chamber a round) and a built in laser that is red and a green laser when you pull the trigger?
I've seen one before but it's been a few years, a really neat tool.

I have shot a few times with a laser and it was more of a distraction for me than anything. Again, with practice I could see it being useful, but I found that I was ignoring my sights altogether and just seeing the laser, and my accuracy was horrible.
I haven't mustered up the gumption to buy a SIRT gun so I just use snap caps and a grip mounted laser on my XD for instruction.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I like my LG-445, i have it on an XD45 5" Tactical. I have small hands, and the slight palm swells really help me with my presentation and make it more comfortable.

Crimson Trace Lasergrip For Springfield Armory XD 45 ACP LG445 FREE S H LG-445. Crimson Trace Red Laser Sights.

I have no fantasies about putting a dot on a home invader and having him drop to his knees and wet his pants - heck, i could have a dot on my chest right now and wouldn't know unless someone pointed it out to me (which happens a lot at work, actually). What it has been invaluable for is improving my trigger pull (it amazed me how much the dot danced around, with what I thought was a smooth pull) and also point shooting. With an UNLOADED GUN, I will point at something, and then activate the laser to see if I was really pointing the XD where i thought i was. Over time, it develops muscle memory, like reaching for the light switch in the dark when you're going for the leftover pizza at midnight.

There are a couple of reasons I like it over the Lasermax guide rod lasers- the Lasermax in not adjustable for elevation or windage. Lasermax guarantees 2" at 50 yards, which is more than adequate for self defense distances, but I like to fine tune my lasers for specific distances and loads. The Crimson Trace is adjustable for elevation and windage.

Activating the Lasermax requires pushing a button that replaces the take-down lever. The Crimson Trace activates when you grasp the grip firmly. In a self defense situation, fine motor skills (like pushing s tiny button) deteriorate quickly. Gross motor skills (like grasping your gun) still function.

I agree that a light is more useful.

Mark H.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts