Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got off the phone with Laser-Max a few minutes ago. They just finished up R&D on their XD-specific model. Production is set to begin soon and they should be available around March 1st. Expect pricing to be somewhere between their Glock ($329 MSRP) and "Other" ($399) models.

The gentleman to whom I spoke pretty much confirmed my suspicion that one of their existing Glock models would fit the XD, though he would not give a definitive answer on that matter. Apparently, some changes are required for proper alignment, though, hence the new model. The degree of changes required will affect the final price.

For those who are not familiar with them info on Laser-Max products can be found here.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
What the hell? A laser that is the cost of the gun itself? Wow.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Based on the distributor pricing, it seems the price will be around $399. From what I was told, you will need to swapout the take down level and replace it with a new one, to control the laser.

A $400 laser in a $400 gun? Are people going to buy this? Please let me know. I look at new stuff each day, trying to decide if the value is worth the price. This is one I have issue with. Perhaps I am wrong. Please help.

Old School

·
Registered
688 Posts
Go with your feeling !!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
252 Posts
It won't be for me, I'd much rather buy another gun. YMMV

·
Registered
249 Posts
The thing for me is you have to replace your Gude rod and spring don't you? How is the Lasermax going to compare to Don's Rod and Wolf springs? Do I want to give up that performance for a laser?

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's why I like my M6 light/laser, it might have cost me 200 but I can put it on almost any gun with a tactical rail

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
BillSXT2002 said:
It won't be for me, I'd much rather buy another gun. YMMV
I know what that means now! Ha!

Same here, it would be cool to receive something like that as a gift, but on my budget I'd rather buy another gun or two. YHWH

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The price isn't pleasant to me, either, but for those who feel that they need a laser without a potentially bulky external package, this is the only option. Glock owners seem to love them, but they also like guns with virtually no safety features. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd be interested in one if the price was closer to 300.. even at 400 it's not to bad. I concel carry allot w/ my 4" xd357. this would allot me the lazer w/ the ease of concelment.

Lazer are very intimidating. Consider somone is pointing a gun at you. You see the gun pointed at you but are not sure where they are exacly pointing. W/ a lazer pointed at you you know damn well that gun is pointed at your head, chest, nuts ect. If i was a crminal that to me is scary.

Jason

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jasonl6 said:
this would allot me the lazer w/ the ease of concelment.

Lazer are very intimidating.
You just touched on the two primary selling points for this device. Additionally, a laser allows for rapid target acquisition without a proper sight picture, which can mean life or death in a CQC or self-defense scenario.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wanna see a pic of one on an XD? ...... :)
LMS-4XD40 Internal Laser Sight For: Springfield 4" XD .40

Here they show a pic of one on a subby.....

And of course the tactical....
LMS-5XD Internal Laser Sight For: Springfield 5" XD .40, 9mm & .45GAP

Here is where the switch will be. Hard to see what's really going on here but this is what it says.....
Turn It On! To activate the laser, simply push IN on the switch pin, which is located inside the takedown lever. Pushing in from either side will turn the laser on; the middle position is off.

Hope this helps.... Here's the link http://www.lasersightsusa.com/products/lms-4xd40.php

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Interesting.
They do not list the SC as an option, yet the PICTURE for the 4" 9mm is the SC!
I will be asking them about this tomorrow at the show.....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BBunin said:
They do not list the SC as an option, yet the PICTURE for the 4" 9mm is the SC!
I will be asking them about this tomorrow at the show.....
The SC variant will be available "shortly after the Service/Tactical model is released." Sorry for not including that in my original post.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd be interested in some opinions as to how people think the LaserMax Rod and spring will perform as opposed to Dons Rod or some other aftermarket Rod spring combo. I personally haven't upgraded to Dons Rod yet but all I've read on this forum says its a great move. So do I give up a great upgrade in performance of the weapon to have this laser?

·
Registered
196 Posts
A_Med said:
I'd be interested in some opinions as to how people think the LaserMax Rod and spring will perform as opposed to Dons Rod or some other aftermarket Rod spring combo. I personally haven't upgraded to Dons Rod yet but all I've read on this forum says its a great move. So do I give up a great upgrade in performance of the weapon to have this laser?
There's no telling until one of you guinea pigs takes the plunge and gives us a report. :twisted: Preferably someone who has a Don's Guide Rod and Wolfe 22# Spring already. I'm interested as well but am not 100% sold on the idea of spending $400 bux on a 'laser'. Integrated or not, it's still a lot of dough to most folks. Especially if you bought the XD cause you were on a budget in the first place.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
We all love Don's rod (mmmm) but really... it's a skinny piece of metal with a spring on it. The spring does the work. With the exception of his Tungsten rod, I really don't see how anyone could possibly tell the difference between brands X, Y, and Z guide rod, given the same spring poundage.

But I would never buy one because A: That's hella expensive and B: I like that I have a little piece of Don with me everywhere I go.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Super Trucker said:
Is it going to flicker, like the 1911 models? That is really annoying I thought.
All Laser-Max models "flicker." Laser-Max claims that the blinking is much more noticeable in one's peripheral vision than a steady beam. This in turn provides faster target acquisition.

I used to find the blinking annoying, too, until I experienced first-hand that it works. At the range recently, someone in the adjacent lane was using a Laser-Max Glock. Despite focusing on my target, I quickly spotted their POA as soon as the laser was activated. I didn't know they had it, so it wasn't as though I was hoping to spot the beam; it just grabbed my attention.

In case anyone is wondering, I have no affiliation with Laser-Max. I wish I did, though, as I'd really like a free one...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts