Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've joked about it for years and all but a few don't take it seriously.

In looking for new and interesting targets for our series of Laser Challenges I ran across a rare and ancient set of targets from the OFFICE OF STRATEGIC SERVICES ALLIED TRAINING COUNCIL and other military and law enforcement agencies that show our troops and LEOs have taken this threat seriously for many years. Unlike novelty targets, these are marked with accurate scoring areas.

With these declassified Zombie Combat Targets you can train to protect your family from an enemy that we all hope we never have to face.

There are more, but I'm only allowed to attach ten in this post.

Fun Fact: The artist who made'em is Jeff McComsey, [email protected]. I was able to find an old WordPress blog from 2011 with more of his amazing artwork. There is one target in the PDF that was not penned by Jeff, it's not work safe and probably shouldn't be posted here on the forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
A nice addition to my morning coffee. As I reviewed the targets I looked around my environment for melee weapons, and found them lacking. Even a good walking stick will serve well, even without the laser targeting system.
A fun artist.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
572 Posts
Thanks @Obscura!

Mrs. BassCliff will not be thrilled about these targets (she's not into creepy stuff) but I know my daughter will, maybe enough to motivate her to practice a bit more. ;)

Speaking of practice, this evening we visited friends. John and Bobbi invited us over for pizza and laser practice. John just picked up a brand spanking new G26 and a Gen 2 G-Sight cartridge. Here he is after I helped get his G-Sight app set up on his phone.

I had printed and brought targets. I also brought both of my pistols. We took turns shooting each others firearms since they all had laser cartridges. Here's John with Mrs. BassCliff's CW9.

Mrs. BassCliff got in on the fun too. She did great showing off her skillz just a little.

This hostage target is still everyone's favorite. Thanks for this one @Obscura. John said his wife, Bobbi, will enjoy coloring their copy.

This was our smorgasbord this evening. We did not practice with the .38 special. But before dark we did go out in the back yard to shoot a few rounds with John's .22 pellet rifle.

I had fun practicing a few rounds with John's "baby" Glock. Those stock sights seem weird now but I shot it pretty well. I'm starting to get the hang of my Speed Sights. John thought my XD9 was a "big gun". I guess it did seem comparatively larger. There was no place for my pinkie on his G26. Of course we practiced without mags and no ammo anywhere near us. Then we played Yatzee, had some of Mrs. BassCliff's cookies for dessert, and called it a night.

I'll put some holes in some zombies and post'em up soon. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This hostage target is still everyone's favorite. Thanks for this one @Obscura. John said his wife, Bobbi, will enjoy coloring their copy.

I'll put some holes in some zombies and post'em up soon. Thanks!
This made my morning. Great to see friends and family gathering to have fun and train. :)

·
Registered
Got ammo?
572 Posts
Hi!

I had a little fun with a zombie target last night. I started at 7 yards with the CW9. This is the very first group. Meh.

After a couple tries the group tightened up. These old eyes had trouble seeing the bulls eye. I used a Sharpie to make the X bigger.

I thought if I put a red dot on the bulls eye I could see it better. I moved to 10 yards with my XD. The first magazine was lousy. I still couldn't see well.

Maybe a black dot will give me more contrast to focus on. Maybe. I moved back to 7 yards so I could see the target better.

I shot a little better from 7 yards.

Then I moved back to 10 yards. The group spread out. Doh.

I ended the night with some dot drills. That made me feel a little better. ;)

I'll try again, maybe with a little more light on the target, or I'll color the target. My 21 year old daughter thought the targets were pretty cool. Maybe she'll join me next time. Until then, thanks to @Obscura for giving us something interesting to shoot at.

BassCliff

Reactions: Obscura

·
Registered
Got ammo?
572 Posts
Greetings Patriots!

I did not realize I had a paid holiday today. The fetching Mrs. BassCliff and I decided to do something worthwhile today. Since we are both Covid-19 survivors still with antibodies in our blood, we went to the local blood bank to donate. The nurse told us together we saved six lives today. We feel blessed being able to help.

My dear wife is now doing the monthly shopping so I decided to practice a bit. I tried two different color schemes that I hope will allow me to see these targets better. I put them up side by side on my stand and just pointed my camera at whichever one I was shooting at. In case you didn't know, the 'K5' scoring area is 1 3/4" by 2 5/8", inside the green oval on the left and the black oval on the right.

I am standing ten yards away in front of my hall bathroom while the target is on the far wall of the front room. Wow, those circles are small.

These are the very first three "magazines" at the target on the left.

Here are the very first three "magazines" at the target on the right.

I continued practicing a few more rounds on this target until I could consistently get this result, maybe with one or two outside the scoring area.

Then I went back to the multi-color target and practiced some more.

It was a productive session. I need to be able to get my sight picture, really focusing on the front site, dialed in right away instead of after three or four magazines. Practice, practice, practice! Thanks again to Mr. @Obscura for helping us train.

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
572 Posts
Greetings Patriots!

I ran a quick practice drill after supper this evening. I pulled out a bunch of targets and put ten shots on each from seven yards.

My first targets were circle drills.

Next was the hostage and the stalker.

Followed by the zombie apocalypse.

I finished with three "mags" into my favorite circle.

I was drawing from conceal and trying to hurry as much as possible, both on the draw and between shots. My first shot on the #1 circle was high about an inch but most got close.

The next ten shots were on the black circle bullseyes, about the same.

I flipped the zombie targets over and continued. Seven out of ten got in the K5 scoring area on the colorful zombie.

I got all ten to score on the black circle zombie.

I flipped the pages to the hostage and the stalker. Those little dots always give me trouble. I always end up just trying to shoot in the middle of all three. I missed one head shot. At least I didn't hit Sally.

The I moved over to the stalker, two on the dots, two in the head, and four in center mass. Sort of.

Then I took three runs at my favorite circle target. You can tell I was rushing my shots. I can do much better on this target when I slow down.

And then for grins and giggles I used Mrs. BassCliff's CW9 to put some shots on her pottery. :D

And that was it for the evening. I usually go for hours but I need a beer. I don't like to drink and practice. Thanks again to Mr. @Obscura for all the fun targets. I'm planning to get out to my favorite outdoor range on Saturday. Let's see if this laser practice translates to real results.

BassCliff

Reactions: Obscura

·
Registered
Got ammo?
572 Posts
Hi!

It's been a while since I've practiced with my laser cartridge. Mrs. BassCliff shot a few rounds with me tonight too. I also need to get her out to the range again soon. For this evening I put up four of my favorites on the shelf unit in the front room.

I shot a few rounds at seven yards.

I also shot a few rounds at ten yards.

Mrs. BassCliff let me practice with her CW9 too. I was using the amber lenses of my SSP "Top Focal" shooting glasses.

The first magazine went into the color Zombie from seven yards with the CW9.

The second magazine went into the black circle zombie from seven yards with the CW9.

Moving on through my targets, the third magazine went into the hostage taker from seven yards with the CW9.

And the fourth magazine went into the 2 inch circle from seven yards with the CW9.

Mrs. BassCliff really likes her pistol but I just haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. That long trigger pull takes some getting used to. Then I picked up my XD9 and put the next three magazines into the color zombie from seven yards.

Next was a couple of magazines into the black circle zombie from seven yards with my XD9.

Then I moved out to ten yards. You can see the group open up a bit. I probably need to slow down a little.

I saved the hostage a couple of times from ten yards, never hit Sally once.

This is from ten yards at my 2 inch circle. Again, I should probably slow down a little.

After a little break, I moved back up to seven yards for a couple more magazines so I could end on a high note. The group tightened up a little.

And that was my fun this evening. I've not been practicing as much lately so as not to disturb Mrs. BassCliff and our daughter. I'm going to have to sneak in some more practice sessions while she's not around. ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
572 Posts
Greetings laser cartridge enthusiasts!

Yesterday after church I had time to practice a bit. I tried a couple of different FUBAR targets with different color schemes to help these old eyes focus. I had fun with Zombie Elvis and Nurse Zombie.

A couple days earlier I had received my second Gen 3 G-Sight laser cartridge. The Gen 2 still works but doesn't seem as reliable as the Gen 3.

I practiced from 7 yards in my front room.

I also practiced from 10 yards, actually it was closer to 29 feet. Close enough. Dang! Those circles are small.

I put five magazines into Zombie Elvis while his hound dog was in Heartbreak Hotel. Notice the sticker and tally marks.

Bah! Two flyers.

OK, a little closer.

At least the flyers are closer in this group.

This one is not bad, only one outside the K5 "scoring" area.

Then I turned my attention to Nurse Zombie and put five magazines into her paper. I did not want her vaccine. Does she qualify as a "butterface"? (Did I really type that? No offense intended, just a joke.)

The second group got a little wild.

OK, let's settle down. That's better.

The fourth magazine is pretty good.

The fifth magazine all scores too.

Then I shot with Mrs. BassCliff's CW9. I'll just share the best of those efforts. I'm just below average with this pistol. More practice, I guess.

For some reason I seemed to shoot better at Nurse Zombie with both pistols.

Then I tossed a few magazines at the small circle next to Zombie Elvis.

Then I backed up to ten yards, well, ok, twenty nine feet, for a few rounds.

The next magazine was a lot tighter.

Then I took a break to watch some TV with Mrs. BassCliff. I practiced a little more afterwards but it was nothing to write home about. My new Gen 3 G-Sight seems to work a lot better in different lighting conditions that would cause the Gen 2 not to register. The Gen 2 likes more subdued lighting.

Hey Mr. @Obscura, are you planning any more cool targets? Good stuff Maynard!

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
572 Posts
Hi,

Can you tell I'm quite bored working remotely at home? I tried to get Mrs. BassCliff and our daughter to play "Dark Mission" with me but neither was interested. This is the first time I've used one of the G-Sight "Fun" targets and tried to keep score. Let's see how I fared. I started before Jeopardy came on. Mrs. BassCliff and I like to play along with Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. What can I say? We're old. :p Then I would shoot a magazine or two on the commercial breaks.

For the record, you hit the big green bullseye with the first shot for 100 points. (I counted the red outer circle too.) Then on the last shot hit the green belt buckle to double your score. I was practicing from 5 yards since the circles were so small. Also notice the tally marks. The first ten were recorded in order so I could track my "progress". The first round, 430 points.

Second round, 325 points. Ugh.

Third round, 180 points. Yick!

Fourth round, 580 points. Better!

Fifth round, 180 points. Back to "Yick!"

Sixth round, 210 points. Not much better than "yick".

Seventh round, 580 points. Lord Xenu got a bit more hurtin' on this round.

Eighth round, 265 points. I guess I left a mark.

Ninth round, 650 points. I think Lord Xenu is hurting after this one.

The tenth round, only 300 points. Lord Xenu is laughing at me. Bwaahaaahaaaa!

Then I backed up to 7 yards and shot at the 100 point bullseye for a few rounds.

The lighting was bad. Yeah, that's it.

To end, I moved back to 5 yards and practiced a little with the CW9, only 155 points. The lighting was really bad. Yeah, sure.

And that was my little laser session this evening. It's funny, I can tell when the shot is going to be good and I can tell when the shot is going to be bad. I suppose for straight marksmanship, I need to learn to wait until the shot feels good and everything is lined up perfectly. I still find my eyes wandering to the target as I pull the trigger. If I stay focused on the front sight, the sight won't move and the accuracy improves. I think I need, you guessed it, more practice! :D Or maybe a red dot.

BassCliff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts