Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it was time we engaged a life-size target so I picked one and used an online tool called the Rasterbator to enlarge it.
Some assembly required.

This dude is in your house and he doesn't want your stuff, he wants you and your family to die. He has already started chanting "Aloha Snack-bar" so you don't have much time. Take him out before he takes you out.

As with the previous challenge, work on speed with accuracy. If you've paid for the G-sight shot timer, this might be a good challenge to try it out. How fast can you draw and get an accurate shot off?

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi @Obscura,

Hey! Thanks for splitting this file into printable pages. I'm taking a copy with me for some live fire practice. Fun stuff!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: windsearcher

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Today's session. Wow, after months of shooting small targets, this one is like cheating.

Warmup:

Next I tried the shot timer. It adds some stress that makes it way harder. The first few sets were a complete disaster. I've practiced drawing from my holster many times, but never with a timer. At first, I was trying to go too fast and not being able to find the dot. When I slowed down, things actually sped up.

I had the timer set to measure and time one shot and then give time to reload and re-holster before the next beep. Six shots per set. I'll post the group and the fastest shot from the last two sets.

I don't remember how much the shot timer upgrade was, it wasn't much, worth every penny. :)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More sessions today.

Warmup: The flyer happened when I was searching for the dot and pulled the trigger to see where it was. Bad idea.

Best session/shot

Good times!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi @Obscura,

I wasn'tt able to use this target at the range yesterday. Oops. But I'll get it put together to have some practice at home.

BassCliff

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi @Obscura,
I wasn'tt able to use this target at the range yesterday. Oops.
Ranges say they don't let you bring your own targets for insurance reasons, but I suspect it's because they like selling you their targets. My favorite range lets you bring your own steel targets. :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi,

Ranges say they don't let you bring your own targets for insurance reasons, but I suspect it's because they like selling you their targets. My favorite range lets you bring your own steel targets. :)
It wasn't that. I just wasn't prepared. I didn't take the time to tape it all together and make it pretty so that we could put holes in it. I'll write up last week's range visit soon. We had a very productive time. Maybe tonight I'll hang it up in my front room for some laser practice.

BassCliff

Reactions: Obscura

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Mr. @Obscura,

This evening I carefully trimmed and taped together the target you so thoughtfully prepared for us. Thanks! It's actually great timing. This Friday I'm going to the range for my CCW qualification. You are correct in that shooting a life sized target feels a little like cheating. But I figure it's good practice for my qual. I'm qualifying with my XD9 and CW9 so that's what I practiced with, from seven yards in my front room.

These are the first four "magazines" from my XD9, ten center mass, ten head. Note: The time gaps you see may be because I was watching TV with Mrs. BassCliff and shooting on the commercial breaks. :D

Here are the first four "magazines" from my CW8, same routine. (One real flyer! Drat!)

Then I practiced a few more rounds with the XD9 until I was more consistent.

Then a little more practice with the CW9.

Then back to the XD9 just to make sure.

With the CW9, five on center, five on head.

To finish up, the same routine with the XD9.

OK. I think I'll be ready for my CCW range qualification. It requires ten shots anywhere in the upper chest area on a full size target from five yards, with a magazine change after five shots. (There is a LOT of emphasis on safety rather than marksmanship.) I'm going to qualify with both pistols in order to carry either one. I'll get in a couple more practice sessions before Friday. Wish me luck. Thanks for the target!

BassCliff

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi,

Tonight I bought the shot timer for my G-Sight app. It's a fun training tool. Tonight I was drawing from concealed AIWB from 7 yards, just one shot as fast as I could be accurate. Here are some of my better efforts.

Then a backed up to ten yards (well, 29 feet) and put 10 on center.

Ten on center, same distance with the CW9.

Then one more magazine with the XD9.

It was not a long practice session this evening. I was mostly learning how to use the shot timer function. I think I've got it figured out. ;)

More fun to come! Thank you Mr. @Obscura!

BassCliff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts