Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
Got ammo?
Hay gang,

I had a fun practice session this afternoon. Mrs. BassCliff joined me for a bit and she let me shoot her CW9. You'll see on the video below the first ten "mags" on the hostage target were from a cold start. I apologize for giving Sally a headache. The rest are various drills with other targets. Warning, it's five and a half minutes long with each target getting a 5 second view. The first ten targets was my focus today. Although later in the video I go back to the hostage and do even better. If you're curious about the soundtrack, it's a 2007 recording with me on bass and a couple of friends warming up for a studio session, just jamming.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: Obscura

Registered
Not bad, oh hey you have a missed call and a unread text message 馃槅. You definitely got those groups down as you warmed up. On the hostage target I say if you hit the shooter's gun it would probably injure the hostage, so I'm deducting points for that. Man your lucky looks like you have plenty of natural bright light. Im a apartment rat that lives on the 1st floor of a 3 story complex. Thats surrounded by other apartment complex. Do you feel yourself getting more familiar with the trigger on your xd?

Registered
Got ammo?
Hi,

Not bad, oh hey you have a missed call and a unread text message 馃槅.
Ha! It was a spam call that I ignored and the text was a message from daughter to both Mom and I. Some things are more important. ;)

You definitely got those groups down as you warmed up. On the hostage target I say if you hit the shooter's gun it would probably injure the hostage, so I'm deducting points for that.
Fair enough. :)(y) I don't purposely aim for the gun. It seems my trigger pull needs to be more consistent. I had a few really good groups, but not all on the same target. :p

Man your lucky looks like you have plenty of natural bright light. Im a apartment rat that lives on the 1st floor of a 3 story complex. Thats surrounded by other apartment complex.
Yes, our front room gets plenty of light, too much as the sun sets through the west facing windows. I was having a bit of trouble getting the hits to register on the targets sometimes. I would see the laser flash on a black do but the phone app would not register the hit. Since I told my printer to print those targets with "high quailty" I wonder if the black dots got too much ink and they soak up the laser light, not reflecting enough to register a hit. After the sun set and I used only indoor lighting that problem seemed to pretty much be resolved but still, a few hits on the black dots would not register. I'll have to experiment more with lighting and print densities.

Do you feel yourself getting more familiar with the trigger on your xd?
I am really loving the stock trigger on this XD9. I still have less than 1000 round through it but this is, overall, quite a nice pistol. I can tell when a shot goes well and is going to hit the mark. It's kind of like bowling. You can feel when you have a perfect approach, you get just the right amount of lift on a perfect release, the ball rolls right over your mark, and you watch it curve right into the pocket for a strike. I can tell when I'm actually going to hit where I'm aiming, all the mechanics feel right. The sight picture is focused, the sights are properly aligned, the target is dead center, the trigger pull goes straight back, the wrist doesn't break, and BANG! The hole appears right where you wanted it to. I'm trying to work on that consistency. Then I'll be able to speed up all the mechanical aspects while keeping most of the marksmanship.

I practiced with Mrs. BassCliff's CW9 but I'm not a fan of that DAO trigger. I did "ok-ish" with it, able to hit the narrow side of a barn. :ROFLMAO: But again, just more practice. Now that it's cheap, why not?

BassCliff

Registered
Got ammo?
Hi,

After a few 1000 pulls on the xd that trigger is only going to get lighter and smoother
Sure, even after only about 700 rounds I can tell the trigger is getting better. The "wall", the "break", the "reset" are all very tactile, very definite, easy to feel and easy work with. Practice, practice, practice! :D

BassCliff

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Love the video format. You can really see how things improved as the session progressed. I was wondering about the music and it's cool that you named your hostage. :)

Registered
Got ammo?
Hi,

Love the video format. You can really see how things improved as the session progressed. I was wondering about the music and it's cool that you named your hostage. :)
It's fun putting together little videos showing the rounds in sequence. I won't make them 5 minutes long any more 'cause they're kind of boring. :p The free online GIF maker works good too but you have to keep your sequence at 30 seconds or less.

I'm looking forward to your target choice for next month. I think it does me well to record my first ten mags on the target coming out cold. (You won't get a chance to "warm up" in an emergency.) I can then come back and practice all the mechanics in order to increase consistency.

I used a couple of links on the G-Sight website to order a complimentary target. We'll see if anything shows up in the mail. I also need to contact their tech support. My CW9 seemed to develop an issue with the cartridge. After a few rounds the striker stopped firing the snap cap on the laser. It's like the cartridge is not making good contact with the rear of the chamber, the cartridge slides up too far in the barrel to be activated by the firing pin. Drat. I may have to order the Gen 3 part and hope the extra o-rings keep it snug in position. I've had no issues with the Gen 2 cartridge at all in my XD9.

BassCliff

Super Moderator

25 ft standing. Small bore sight target, the red zone is 2 inches in diameter.

Registered
Got ammo?
Reactions: ArmyGuy45

Registered
Got ammo?
Hi,

I got some more practice done tonight. The first three hostage targets are the first three I shot tonight. The rest are a few of my better efforts. The bullseye target was done without my fancy shootin' glasses, cross-dominant, as in practicing for an emergency situation. The last few are ten dot drills just because I like shooting them. ;)

BassCliff

Registered
Dude nice your hits on the perp are great 馃憤. You also did good on those mid black dots but the small black dots still kicking your butt.

Registered
Got ammo?
Hi,

Dude nice your hits on the perp are great 馃憤. You also did good on those mid black dots but the small black dots still kicking your butt.
Yes, more practice! I can barely see those one inch dots. Combine that with my inconsistent trigger pull and those shots tend to wander. I also tried one of my varmint targets with half inch dots. Fuggetabowdit!! :ROFLMAO: 馃

Thanks for the new challenge!

BassCliff

Registered
Thank you, @Obscura... I've been shooting more often but using less ammo so we're always looking for interesting stuff to shoot at. Our private range is relatively small so the 15' targets are perfect.

Maybe I'll print a few dozen for my granddaughter to color... then take her to go shoot holes in the baddie's cranium. I think l already know which part of those activities she'll like more...
scribble scribble scribble
"Done, Grampa, let's GO!

Reactions: BassCliff
21 - 36 of 36 Posts