Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the ongoing great 2020 Ammogeddon, some of us have invested in laser training cartridges so we get range time in at home without spending a fortune.
One thing leads to another and it was suggested that we organize a challenge so here we go.

Someone you love has been taken hostage and your challenge is to save her!

Rules:
  • Target Size: 8.5"x11"
  • Distance: 15 feet
  • 10 shots total
  • 1 in each black dot
  • 5 in the bad guy
  • PDF of printable target attached below
  • Reply to this thread with a screengrab of your best result

Fun Fact: When Mrs. Obscura saw this target she insisted on adding lipstick and eye color.

Laser training cartridges are inexpensive and the Gsight app that tracks your shots is free for Android and iOS.
If you are headed to the range with real ammunition the same rules apply.

Have fun!!

Attachments

·
Registered
Got ammo?
442 Posts
Hi @Obscura,

Fabulous! I'll have my daughter put makeup on our hostage for more realism. :ROFLMAO:

Just our "best result"? Not the "first one" or "first three"? That's OK. It'll give me an excuse to practice for an hour. ;) Later on you can mix up the rules a bit.

I'm in!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: Pandaz3

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @Obscura,
Just our "best result"? Not the "first one" or "first three"? That's OK. It'll give me an excuse to practice for an hour. ;) Later on you can mix up the rules a bit.
Post what you like. Folks might find it interesting to see the difference between your first try and your best result. Notes and lessons learned are also appreciated.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
442 Posts
Hi,

Post what you like. Folks might find it interesting to see the difference between your first try and your best result. Notes and lessons learned are also appreciated.
My thoughts, exactly. ;)

BassCliff

Reactions: Obscura

·
Registered
Got ammo?
442 Posts
Greetings Patriots!

I had fun for a couple hours this evening before dinner and on commercial breaks. I tell you, from 15 feet away those little one inch black dots are hard for these old eyes to see.

These were my first three tries:

(Oops!)

Here are a few that aren't so bad:

And here's a GIF of all 28 screen grabs that I saved from my session, in order. I got a little better as I practiced. Watch the time. The first "mag" is the frame just before 5:46PM (the frame without the clock on top). The last frame is 9:15PM.

I'll practice a bit more with this target. Those one inch dots are nothing but fuzz for me at 15 feet. I have to learn to trust the fuzz, aim small, miss small. I could tell when I had a good trigger pull. I would see only a red dot flash on the target. When I failed to pull the trigger straight back I would see a red smear, usually down and to the left but sometimes to the right.

Let's do another one soon!

BassCliff

Reactions: Mike51392

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll have to print off that target to add to my current hostage target collection.

I actually enjoy shooting at this type of target because it does indeed add an element of stress that you don't find in a standard target type. By convincing yourself that you just CANNOT hit the hostage, it does enhance one's focus.

Some of mine

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to print off that target to add to my current hostage target collection.

I actually enjoy shooting at this type of target because it does indeed add an element of stress that you don't find in a standard target type. By convincing yourself that you just CANNOT hit the hostage, it does enhance one's focus.

Some of mine

Dime-sized groups at 100 yards! I'm glad you're one of the good guys.
I agree completely about hostage targets.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Greetings Patriots!

I had fun for a couple hours this evening before dinner and on commercial breaks. I tell you, from 15 feet away those little one inch black dots are hard for these old eyes to see.

These were my first three tries:

View attachment 833147

(Oops!)

View attachment 833148

View attachment 833149

Here are a few that aren't so bad:

View attachment 833150

View attachment 833151

View attachment 833152

View attachment 833153

View attachment 833154

And here's a GIF of all 28 screen grabs that I saved from my session, in order. I got a little better as I practiced. Watch the time. The first "mag" is the frame just before 5:46PM (the frame without the clock on top). The last frame is 9:15PM.

I'll practice a bit more with this target. Those one inch dots are nothing but fuzz for me at 15 feet. I have to learn to trust the fuzz, aim small, miss small. I could tell when I had a good trigger pull. I would see only a red dot flash on the target. When I failed to pull the trigger straight back I would see a red smear, usually down and to the left but sometimes to the right.

Let's do another one soon!

BassCliff
Dude, I dont think you took any meat off the bone but you definitely owe that woman a new wig 😆.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
442 Posts
Hi,

Dude, I dont think you took any meat off the bone but you definitely owe that woman a new wig 😆.
Ha! Yes, I'll need to practice with paper some more before I get myself into a real hostage situation. ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I have had a SIRT trainer for a while (unfortunately Glock model... the S&W wasn't made when I got mine) - but it was good for dry-fire and trigger reset.

This app makes it really an even better tool!! Just can't see my damned black front site too easily. Ugh.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I set my timer to 30 seconds per round and had a 10 second reload time. I took a 5 minute break every 3 rounds. The reason for the time limits is for data collection.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
442 Posts
Hey @Mike51392,

Nice! You nailed those little dots much better than I did. I'm using Speed Sights on my XD9. I like them much better than the stock sights. Thanks for sharing your hostage. ;)

BassCliff

Reactions: Mike51392

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey @Mike51392,

Nice! You nailed those little dots much better than I did. I'm using Speed Sights on my XD9. I like them much better than the stock sights. Thanks for sharing your hostage. ;)

BassCliff
Thanks I did manage to hit Susan twice though. I'm pretty sure I took a little meat off, but she'll make it. Man the more I looked at the target the fuzzier the small black dots got. Crikey, as much as I hate to admit it. Optics on pistols is the future. So much easier to make a difficult shoot. I think I'm gonna start saving money as I see my xdsc40 getting some work done and a new high quality optic.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Dry Fire methodology I'm using has three different kinds of training. Accuracy, Speed, and "For Realz" (speed + accuracy) This set of targets was shot in the Accuracy mode.

I'm new to red dot pistol sights so I was drawing from my holster for every shot. It's getting to where the dot almost always there. Also working on a good trigger press with follow-thru. I was shooting the black dots first, then the bad guy. After the dots, the bad guy seemed huge and easy to hit. My grouping tightened up by the end of the session.

Mrs. Obscura did some more coloring on my target. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Dry Fire methodology I'm using has three different kinds of training. Accuracy, Speed, and "For Realz" (speed + accuracy) This set of targets was shot in the Accuracy mode.

View attachment 833200 View attachment 833201 View attachment 833202 View attachment 833203 View attachment 833204

I'm new to red dot pistol sights so I was drawing from my holster for every shot. It's getting to where the dot almost always there. Also working on a good trigger press with follow-thru. I was shooting the black dots first, then the bad guy. After the dots, the bad guy seemed huge and easy to hit. My grouping tightened up by the end of the session.

Dude you did great, those shots on the bad guy are beautiful right between the eyes. My hat go's off to the Mrs. Obscura she did a wonderful job coloring that target 😆.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
442 Posts
Hi,

View attachment 833200 View attachment 833201 View attachment 833202 View attachment 833203 View attachment 833204

Yay! Very nice work. I want you on my S.W.A.T. team. :) Tell Mrs. Obscure I like her artwork as well. ;)

I'm gonna practice with this target some more this weekend and see if I can improve. You've inspired me. :D

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
442 Posts
Hi,

I have had a SIRT trainer for a while (unfortunately Glock model... the S&W wasn't made when I got mine) - but it was good for dry-fire and trigger reset.

This app makes it really an even better tool!! Just can't see my damned black front site too easily. Ugh.
Maybe you can try painting your front sight? A dot of white paint or other high contrast color? Forgive me if I state the obvious. :p

BassCliff

Reactions: windsearcher

·
Registered
265 Posts

Thats an easy fix and you might want to look into a optic makes it alot easier on aging eyes. Im 37 and I noticed my sight not being what it use to be.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Obscura its time my friend. Whats the next target ? Distance? Scenario? Rules?

There's alot we can do to keep it interesting. Low light conditions. Time limits. Grip 1 handed, weak hand. Downed position laying on your back. From cover behind table chair etc... Since we are just starting this online match/training/virtual range day I say keep it simple. My request, im printing targets from an old black and white printer from my phone. So printer friendly targets are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm 37 and I noticed my sight not being what it used to be.
I got LASIK in my late 30's and it was the best money I ever spent. I'm in my 50s now and I can still see far away better than 20/20. I lost my up-close vision in my 40s so now readers are a constant companion. The red-dot is perfect, allowing me to focus on the target and overlay the dot. If you're a candidate for LASIK, it's great.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts