Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last, I've returned with a new laser challenge for y'all. Welcome to the Dot Torture drill from Pew Pew Tactical.
This one seems simple enough, but you will soon learn that it's more difficult than it looks.
The drill is 50 shots, PASS/FAIL.

Brown Colorfulness Product Orange Font

INSTRUCTIONS: Place target at 3 yards, complete firing sequence as described.
A "pass" is completing the drill with 100% accuracy.

As soon as I started running the drill I found out why it's Torture.
There are many ways to mess it up:
  • Flyer outside one of the dots
  • Failure to repeat a sequence the correct number of times
  • Repeating a sequence too many times
  • Forgetting how many shots you've fired mid-way through the drill
  • Messing up a sequence in other ways
After many failed attempts, I finally got a PASS. *(5 yards)
Product Font Circle Technology Electronic device

Once you can consistently pass the drill, add a time stress - par time is 5 minutes with 100% accuracy. When you
can pass that, start increasing the distance. 5 yards, 7 yards, 10 yards. All within 5 minutes and 100% accuracy.

Download the printable target and get to shootin'!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi!

At long last, I've returned with a new laser challenge for y'all. Welcome to the Dot Torture drill from Pew Pew Tactical.
This one seems simple enough, but you will soon learn that it's more difficult than it looks.
The drill is 50 shots, PASS/FAIL.

View attachment 863031

INSTRUCTIONS: Place target at 3 yards, complete firing sequence as described.
A "pass" is completing the drill with 100% accuracy.

As soon as I started running the drill I found out why it's Torture.
There are many ways to mess it up:
  • Flyer outside one of the dots
  • Failure to repeat a sequence the correct number of times
  • Repeating a sequence too many times
  • Forgetting how many shots you've fired mid-way through the drill
  • Messing up a sequence in other ways
After many failed attempts, I finally got a PASS. *(5 yards)
View attachment 863032

Once you can consistently pass the drill, add a time stress - par time is 5 minutes with 100% accuracy. When you
can pass that, start increasing the distance. 5 yards, 7 yards, 10 yards. All within 5 minutes and 100% accuracy.

Download the printable target and get to shootin'!
I'll see if I can work on this tonight. Thanks!

Hmm, I haven't tried to set my G-Sight app for a 50 shot string. Is that another component that must be purchased?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmm, I haven't tried to set my G-Sight app for a 50 shot string. Is that another component that must be purchased?
I do think you need the upgrade to unlock unlimited mode. It's inexpensive and you also get the shot timer.
Publication Font Automotive tire Advertising Auto part

I saw that G-sight has a new app beta testing in the app store. I downloaded it but haven't tested it out yet.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi,

I do think you need the upgrade to unlock unlimited mode. It's inexpensive and you also get the shot timer.
View attachment 863272
I saw that G-sight has a new app beta testing in the app store. I downloaded it but haven't tested it out yet.
Very good. I have the shot timer. Let's see if I have any money left in my PayPal for the "unlimited". ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi,

I had my first practice session with the Dot Torture Drill. It wasn't pretty. :ROFLMAO: I paid the $5 for the "unlimited" module of the app and set everything up in my basement range.
Property Tire Building Automotive design Automotive tire

(You might notice that I have a new exercise machine, very similar to the old one that I had for about 15 years. This one is so much smoother. But I digress.)

I shot the dots four times tonight, the first time without my diopter shooting glasses. I don't think it made much difference with or without my glasses.
Product Font Natural foods Circle Food group

Then I put my glasses on, but I lost count somewhere on this one.
Organism Font Natural foods Circle Recipe

Font Recipe Circle Food group Natural foods

Product Organism Font Recipe Food group

Then, just because I'm addicted, I shot a couple of B-8 centers.
Colorfulness Human body Organism Font Slope

Colorfulness Human body Slope Font Rectangle

That was my session for this evening. I'll get in some more practice to tighten up my groups. I'll also print out a black and white version of this target. I think my hits would look better. They're kind of fuzzy against the orange background. I shot all the dots from five yards, the B-8 from ten yards. I had to put down a couple of pads on the concrete floor so as to save wear and tear on my magazines doing the speed reloads, even though I was using my old 10 round magazines.

Give me a few days and I'll post up a better performance, I hope. My thanks to Mr. @Obscura for sharing the fun!

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi Mr. @Obscura,

I practiced last night for about an hour in my little basement laser range.

I must admit, while doing this dot drill if I mess up really bad halfway through I would just start over again. A few times I lost count of the number of hits on each dot and would end up with 46 or 52. Oops. Before I practice this again I will print up a couple of grayscale copies, one for the wall and the other to keep at my "shooting station" so that I don't have to run back and forth to make sure I'm shooting the right sequences. Sometimes it's hard for this old noob to remember. :p This was my best run of the session, still with a couple of hits out of the circles. Drat. Distance = 5 yards.

I think a grayscale target will make the laser hits a little more clear too. You can see the difference between the hits on the white parts and the orange parts. Maybe it's time for a new phone.

Then I took a few minutes to practice quick-draw from 5 yards. I started off not trying to rush.

Then I started pushing it.

Then I fumbled the draw and had trouble defeating my garment. Oops. At least I took a little extra time and had good accuracy on this one.

But then I got way behind the curve on this one and totally lost it.

So I took a breath, slowly practiced my draw stroke a couple of times, and then turned the timer back on.

Next week my range is offering a USCCA approved live fire clinic on drawing for defensive accuracy. I'm going to sign up for it. I could use the review and the critique. I'm hoping the instructors can teach an old noob new tricks and help me improve my speed and accuracy.

Edit: I'll attach a grayscale target, just in case anyone else wants to play along. :D

BassCliff

Attachments

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mr. @Obscura,

I practiced last night for about an hour in my little basement laser range.

I must admit while doing this dot drill if I mess up really bad halfway through I would just start over again. A few times I lost count of the number of hits on each dot and would end up with 46 or 52. Oops. Before I practice this again I will print up a couple of grayscale copies, one for the wall and the other to keep at my "shooting station" so that I don't have to run back and forth to make sure I'm shooting the right sequences. Sometimes it's hard for this old noob to remember. :p This was my best run of the session, still with a couple of hits out of the circles. Drat. Distance = 5 yards.
I made the same mistakes and many of my runs ended early. It took two or three days of practice before getting a clean run.

I don't have a color printer so everything is gray when I print it. :cool:

Have fun at the upcoming course. Sounds like a great opportunity.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just curious Cliff, are you looking at the target or your sights when you bring the gun up? Beings you have that handy dandy laser just try looking at the spot you want to hit, bring the gun up and as soon as that front sight is where your looking, pull the trigger. Would be interesting just to see what happens. I need to get me one of those gizmos. 😁

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi,

Just curious Cliff, are you looking at the target or your sights when you bring the gun up? Beings you have that handy dandy laser just try looking at the spot you want to hit, bring the gun up and as soon as that front sight is where your looking, pull the trigger. Would be interesting just to see what happens. I need to get me one of those gizmos. 😁
Ideally, yes, I am looking at the threat. I will draw, bring the pistol up to my line of sight, and while punching out I'm trying to refine the sight alignment. I'm trying to pick up the sights as soon as they come into my field of view, while prepping the trigger (taking up the slack, right to the wall), and have the proper sight picture by the time I've fully extended. The trigger is pulled just as I reach full extension.

I realize in certain self defense situations there will not be time to fully extend. But that's a different drill, CQC stuff. I've also trained and practiced shooting from retention, without sights, etc.

Have fun at the upcoming course. Sounds like a great opportunity.
I'm looking forward to the review. I hope the class next week will point out my faults and give me practice points to improve.

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi @Obscura,

I had an hour to kill this afternoon while Mrs. BassCliff went shopping. This is the first dot torture drill from the session, "cold", from five yards.

OK, not too bad for my first effort. I had a couple of really bad runs and had to start all over. Here are a couple of the better efforts.

I was about to call it quits and thought, "OK, just one more."

If you give me the line breaks, I think this one is pretty good. Since this one went so well I thought, "OK, just another one more." :p

Drat. I had a couple shots go really wide shooting strong hand only and weak hand only. Otherwise, this one didn't suck too bad either. Then, just for fun, I put up a B-8 target and put ten laser hits on it from ten yards.

Hmmm, eight hits in the X ring, one in the 10 ring and a flyer in the 9 ring. Still, this dot torture drill, if I take my time, seems to be helping my concentration. I'll keep it up and see if it translates to my live fire practice. Thanks for playing along! :)

BassCliff

Reactions: Obscura
1 - 11 of 11 Posts