Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have installed (and can the average guy do this himself), do you like it? I just find the standard button, given the size of the gun, a bit on the wimpy side. Other than the size, any improvement in mag release drop with the larger release?

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
No no different from the regular button as far as force or effort to remove the mag, they are just longer so they are easier or faster to reach. Although if you use them in ccw holsters the button can be pushed letting you mag go when you dont want it to. Thats the reason there is aomething surrounding the stock release so it cant be accedently released.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ajamesp51 said:
No no different from the regular button as far as force or effort to remove the mag, they are just longer so they are easier or faster to reach. Although if you use them in ccw holsters the button can be pushed letting you mag go when you dont want it to. Thats the reason there is aomething surrounding the stock release so it cant be accedently released.
The one from Pistol Gear says it's 10 percent larger than the stock mag release button - not a big difference although I have not seen it. Doesn't seem like such a small difference would increase greatly the chance of an accidental mag release but I could be wrong. And then you have to exert quite a bit of pressure on the release as it is with the XD. You'd really have to bang into something I would think to accidently activate the mag release. I did have this problem however with my KelTec but it was a mushy release made worse by LH carry ( the mag button IS exposed outward)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have an XD with the standard mag release button, and one with the extended button. I haven't noticed a bit of difference in the pressure required to release the mag, but there is a noticeable difference in the length of the button. It protrudes more and is easier for my thumb to find. I didn't install it, so I can't comment on ease of installation. Also, I haven't carried the one with the extended button concealed (yet), but as was stated previously, I can't imagine that in most cases the button would be pressed inadvertantly. I have never had my standard button pressed on accident when carrying, and I wouldn't think the extra couple mm in length of the extended button should cause alarm in terms of safety.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I accidently hit a table at Walmart just right and my mag fell out on the floor, and I know several others that have as well. One particular holster that will eject mags are the uncle mikes, theTengu personally showed me how easy it was and it was a stock mag release. Alot of holsters are really tight and it may or may not happen you have to install and check with your own equipment. But I will tell you the reason they put the lip around the mag release is so you dont accidently press it. I do have some big mag releases on two of my xd`s just trying to give advice.

For installation instruction check the faq section for some help

·
Registered
29 Posts
I shoot my XD in IPSC Standard Div (it's banned in IPSC Production, unfortunately), and I always found the standard mag release both difficult to "find", and difficult to depress. Since installing the extended mag release from XD Gear, it's like night and day. MUCH better. 8)
I installed it myself, and it's very, very tricky to swap out. If you're not mechanically inclined, let a 'smith do it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rifleman said:
I shoot my XD in IPSC Standard Div (it's banned in IPSC Production, unfortunately), and I always found the standard mag release both difficult to "find", and difficult to depress. Since installing the extended mag release from XD Gear, it's like night and day. MUCH better. 8)
I installed it myself, and it's very, very tricky to swap out. If you're not mechanically inclined, let a 'smith do it. :wink:
Rifle, I just dropped my gun off at the gunsmith. No way would I attempt this. It will be ready tomorrow.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have also thought a great deal about getting the extended mag release. I am sure it would speed up my reloads. The only problem is, it would be illegal for USPSA Production class I would get busted for it. :cry:

·
Registered
29 Posts
bobert1 said:
I have also thought a great deal about getting the extended mag release. I am sure it would speed up my reloads. The only problem is, it would be illegal for USPSA Production class I would get busted for it. :cry:
There's no way I'm going to swap back the original mag release :shock: , so I'll either shoot my XD in Limited 10 when I go down to the US, or just use my <gag> G***k 9mm for Production. :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
I accidently hit a table at Walmart just right and my mag fell out on the floor, and I know several others that have as well.
Hey ajames, how many of those old geezers working at Walmart saw that and had to have CPR?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I should mention that the only thing I don't like about the extended mag release, is that the slight rotation of the mag release when pressed is very noticeable with the checkered surface of the extended mag button, as opposed to the smooth surface of the OEM button. Not a big deal, but I do notice it.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
None we happened to be in the fabric section around 10 pm so everyone was gone from that area, I will say its never happended again and that was several years ago. I guess thats the guns way of telling me I am too fat my hips run into tables:)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got my gun back from the gunsmith. I like the extended mag release a lot. Glad I had the mod done. I can actually find the button now. Mags seem to drop easier too but it could be my imagination. :)

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=48PA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts